SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know. Rear brake then front brake. But at 450 miles my rear brakes already feel worthless (and pretty much always have) compared to the monster stopping power of the fronts dual calipers.

I stomp on that rear brake and "might" get a skid out of it below 10-15mph. That's not good to me. I want that rear brake to grab so dont do an endo.

Is it just me or the diff between front and rear???

I don't mind stomping on them since changing out pads on this bad boy seems pretty easy, but I want more rear brake.

Any ideas, comments????

·
I love my SV
5,783 Posts
I know. Rear brake then front brake. But at 450 miles my rear brakes already feel worthless (and pretty much always have) compared to the monster stopping power of the fronts dual calipers.

I stomp on that rear brake and "might" get a skid out of it below 10-15mph. That's not good to me. I want that rear brake to grab so dont do an endo.

I don't mind stomping on them since changing out pads on this bad boy seems pretty easy, but I want more rear brake.

Any ideas, comments????
Stick a pair of EBC pads in....!!!!!!

·
Mmmm Kate
7,536 Posts
I'm not so sure I'd ever want "monster stomping power" on my rear brake. I'd just try the EBC pads as Tony suggested and maybe add a braided hose.

·
Dynamic Chaos Technician
9,142 Posts
Rear brakes ARE pointless for serious stopping power. ON ALL MOTORCYCLES.

Over use of the rear brake will result in, at best - stuttering of the rear suspension, and a worst - being spit of the hi-side after you lose ther rear and it grabs again.

You ar FAR more likely to crash because you upset the rear end over using the brake, than you are doing an "endo". Under hard braking weigt DOES transfer forward and you DO get some lifting of the rear, but you pretty much would have to be some sort of stunta' and be doing it intentionally to do a stoppie.

·
A #1 Squid
363 Posts
Adjust the nut on your rear brake to make the lever stiffer. I love using my rear instead of my front because it allows me to not put my feet down for alot longer when creeping to a stoplight, parking lots, ect.

·
N of Atlanta
7,697 Posts
Adjust the nut on your rear brake to make the lever stiffer. I love using my rear instead of my front because it allows me to not put my feet down for alot longer when creeping to a stoplight, parking lots, ect.
At creeping speeds, I use my rear brake a lot- you have to to be really smooth at slow speeds and for U-turns, IMO. And you HAVE to use it off the road to avoid one of those embarrassing slap downs. But at speed, I would not miss the rear brake if it disappeared off my bike.

·
Knowledge is Horsepower
3,256 Posts
We have rear brakes?? :blink:
Ba Ha Ha!

I had an issue with my rear brake over the weekend. It was really wet and the lever seemed to "stick" and once I swear it got stuck and almost made me slide the bike. Tore it apart this morning and found there is no grease in the pivot lever bushing and it was "sticky." So I removed it and packed it full of grease. Changed the brake fluid also. Now I have a rear brake again.

I noticed when I first got the bike and I hammered the front brake, it would make a whirring sound. Lately I haven't noticed. I assume I need to deglaze the rotors. You could also try this on the rear rotor too. What grit I am not sure though. 80?

·
55,500 miles and counting
19,824 Posts
Taking out the pads and roughing them up on some concrete to get a fresh surface and changing the fluid too might help.

you don't want too sharp a rear brake, I only use mine lightly and if theres sand on a corner then I'd rather the rear slides out than the front.

you can use it more when two up as theres more weight over the rear wheel.

Rear pasds can get grease from the chain flung on to them if you over lube the chain.

EBC pads are very good.

Pete

·
Registered
134 Posts
:bigclap:

I use mine for staying stopped on a hill. I don't think they have any value beyond that use.
x2. With the monster engine braking and capable front brakes there is very little need for the rear brake. Hmmmm...I just got another weight savings idea...:HMM:

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Ok, you really don't want the rear brake ever to lock,highsides are painful.The purpose of the rear break is to set the suspention the front brakes do 95 percent of the braking.Vesrah pads are outstanding and while stoppies are possible in emergency stoping situations they are like wheelies practice a few get comfortable with them and when it is life and death you will be ready.

·
Registered
205 Posts
you cant just keep your feet on the pegs without braking? lol

·
Registered
115 Posts

Any ideas, comments????
Yes there are upgrades in pads and they work pretty well. Upgrade to a stainless steel line you will find a more consistent brake.
I am confused by your comparison to the front brakes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm guessing i'm the only person that will very occasionally use the rear brake to shave off a couple mph in a turn. Very very light application, but it works pretty good. I also used the mess out of it the one time I found myself on 5 miles of dirt roads to no where. :)

Tecnically speaking, in an emergency braking scenerio it's considered front 70, rear 30. I think I also remember this from a couple technique riding books i've read.

·
In memory of the Box
1,332 Posts
An effective rear brake is always worth having, but like all aspects of riding a motorcycle it requires a degree of skill to get the best from it. Rear brake, like a throttle, if you abuse it, will bite you in the bum. Use it properly and it is a useful tool. 30% of your braking force is an awful lot to just dismiss as 'Oh I never use that'. I know under HUGE braking the rear lifts from the road, but how often does that happen? Be honest.

On my rear brake, I have Stainless braided hose, and EBC HH pads, and my rear brake actually slows the bike down, I nearly always use both brakes even when riding hard, but in slow turns, parking etc, I use just the rear.
If you have cleaned up the pad faces, bled the system, cleaned the piston, and it's still not strong, then try hanging a weight on your brake pedal over night to keep the fluid compressed, it will 9 times out of 10, feel stronger the next day.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The rear is not very strong (look how small it is) but I think its just enough !!!
I use it to settle the rear down at speed. actually use it often in conjunction with the front for max stopping and overall control. I would not want it anymore powerful my old FJ1200 had a huge rotor on it and was VERY touchy and locked up the rear to easily.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts