SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
For a solo sportbike rider on dry, flat pavement and good tires, the front braking % is close to 100 because you can lift the rear off the ground with hard braking. There are many variables which will change this, passenger or load at rear, wet or slick surface, tire temp and quality, and hills will reduce the amount of braking the front tire can handle and increase the % of rear brake power.

I try to use the rear brake all the time because I believe it is safer to make it a habit. In an emergency situation, you are relying on instinct, there is no time to think, therefore using the rear brake must be habit. If it's dry and flat and I'm alone, using the rear brake will not hurt if the wheel is airborne, but if it is slick, or the rear is heavy, not using the rear will extend braking distance, sometimes a lot.

Locking the rear brake will not make you go sideways if you are going straight or make you highside. I raced Supermoto and learned it is pretty easy to skid the rear tire for long distances in perfect control, not always faster, but pretty easy. Many roadracers also use the rear brake to slide a bit on turn in to help initiate the turn, or to tighten the line mid-turn. These are advanced uses and I do not recommend trying it on the street. But I do highly recommend using the rear brake regularly, it could save your life. JMHO

1 - 1 of 1 Posts