SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SV1000s / 18000 miles
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really liked reading what "Basher" on the this forum wrote. So here is my experience. (thanks Basher)

craigslist ad in Nov 2020 for compete bike

Looked well taken care of just need TLC ! I can do that. 3200.00 sold
Winter project for covid....CHECK

Chain and sprockets. Might as well clean everything since I have it apart.
rear master cylinder was replaced by the previous owner because it had locked up
that was all good but rear disk looked bad. so cheap disk off ebay . good to go.
Exhaust had great set of two brothers cans on it but the rest of the pipes looked like crap.
Had the pipes sand blasted and coated . I think they call it bronze color

next.

fork seal leaking, new spring and seals and oil
valve adjustment , spark plugs, coolant flush, oil and filter
new brake pads, new seals in calipers,
checked the green connector..looked like new
checked the magnets..looked like new

Clutch slave new seals
clutch basket from Werks Thank you Terry for all your insight
clutch master cylinder seals
clutch disk driven and drive no need to replace

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now for the good stuff

Special tools and waiting for parts......equals 6 months
Shopping for stuff online and paying for shipping. you always forget that one item. The local dealers did have a few items that I was able to get same day.

front forks disassembly @#&*%$ on the 2003 YES you do need the tool to hold the inner to remove the bolt on the bottom of the fork leg.

Valve adjustment shim kit from hotcams on amazon $76.00 worth it. Since you are that deep into it just make all the valves as close to the same as you can. Harder to do the math than the actual shim changes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bike back together and go for a ride. two miles from the house no clutch.

Clutch slipping
bleed bleed bleed bleed.
go for a ride slipping again as soon as it gets hot
Take clutch completely apart inspect. everything looks new and measures in specs
Send basket to Werks for Terry to do his magic
install new piston kit in master cylinder. slave cylinder already done.
after getting the basket back and installed I notice that the clutch turns by hand.
take the slave cylinder off and clutch locks up like it should
"very" tiny hole in master cylinder is the return pressure hole...blocked with crap
took a sewing needle and worked it in there till the pressure released.
Problem solved
90 miles so far and all is good with that

now on to the fuel light issue

stay tuned

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,321 Posts
Excellent looking example of the bike....best year in my opinion...HA HA...

The rotor does look good, but, did you JB Weld beteween the magnets ? If not, please, do it...it will save you grief and money later....
The WERKS basket is the ducks guts....i did the same, and went for the 1st gen non slipper DL hub.....

Enjoy that bike mate, it has LOTS of mileage in it....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. no JB yet. weather just got nice here. hoping to get some mile on it then back into it this fall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Awesome write up. Glad you seemed to have as much fun as I did.

On the exhaust what did you coat it with and what did it run? I scuffed and polished my up to a point but it's far from "visually refreshed".

For my 2003 front forks I turned the preload all the way up and put a good portion of my body weight on it. With that I was able to zip the bolt out with my impact gun.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Lookin' good. Keep us posted and let's try to go for a ride when you're done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome write up. Glad you seemed to have as much fun as I did.

On the exhaust what did you coat it with and what did it run? I scuffed and polished my up to a point but it's far from "visually refreshed".

For my 2003 front forks I turned the preload all the way up and put a good portion of my body weight on it. With that I was able to zip the bolt out with my impact gun.
Hi Basher,
I took the pipes to a performance powder coating place that does headers for cars. $180.00 They did the blasting on the pipes and put on a satin ceramic coating
It seemed like such a shame not to clean those up since the bike already looked pretty good.

Great idea on the bolt removal. I struggle with that for a while, not wanting to buy the tool for it or make the tool myself. ended up buying the pipe at home depot and making the notched with a highspeed.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,321 Posts
Nice finish on the headers thats for sure......
Some say that the radiated heat from ceramics is lessened, keeping more heat inside the pipe and consequently making the exhaust scavenging more efficient.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
good job on bike, looks good, 03's - are best ones!
yeap, dont forget JB weld magnets.
if its me i would ditch that stock pipe,those pipes are heavy and no power gain...but thats me

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Thanks tzk321. Are you in the neighborhood? I am near Seattle.
Actually I'm east coast - New Jersey. Well, give a shout out if you're ever in the area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good job on bike, looks good, 03's - are best ones!
yeap, dont forget JB weld magnets.
if its me i would ditch that stock pipe,those pipes are heavy and no power gain...but thats me
yep JB in the near future for sure. Any recommendation for the pipes? I want to stay with the two pipes on either side. I like the look.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,321 Posts
yep JB in the near future for sure. Any recommendation for the pipes? I want to stay with the two pipes on either side. I like the look.
Question best answered by Stateside guys.....they know the best selection

·
Registered
124 Posts
i think Dale Walker sells his holeshot dual pipes but its not full system can look it up on his web, most of dual pipes available are bolt ons, yoshi RS would be my choice if i want stick with 2 pipes, all depends on how loud you want to be or not..
M4 still sells full systems but thats 2-1
ti force made dual full system in titanium but dont make it and never even seen it on sv in person

1 - 16 of 16 Posts