SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after I hit a deer, I decided I need a new bike. Its gone be Ninja H2 SE SX, just need to collect bit to buy it next spring. But at meanwhile, im gone rebuild my sv using spare parts what I can find from home or from friends for free. Cant waist a penny. Goal is to make it run for forest fun and wanna try to get along with snow at winter.
Also I like to "build stuff from nothing".
I also have a questin, some may yet to come.
What happens if I remove one brake disc from front wheel, also one caliper? One disc is bent, also should be worn out. Can I drive safetly with only one disc at front, just knowing break effectiveness isnt as good as used to be?

Just few pics how ive solved radiator problem atm, not yet sure it works 馃榿

But its hard to fit bigger ones in there

Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
You can go with one disc. but, please dont follow me, because i really wouldn't want you running into me from behind..... ha ha......

Reactions: Urbanjugle

Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can go with one disc. but, please dont follow me, because i really wouldn't want you running into me from behind..... ha ha......
No worreys, wont follow ya 馃榿 thnx for confirming it tho, next weekend going for test drive

Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
Just had a thought....
Hydraulic braking power is defined by the diameter of the master cylinder, versus the diameter of the caliper pistons being moved...... it MIGHT mean that you will not get the same clamping force
as prevous..... so, firstly, you only have a single disc doing the job of 2, and secondly, that single caliper might not be getting the hydraulic force that it normally would.....

I may be wrong, but, i think thats correct......either way, be careful

Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My front brakes used to be really sensitive anyway. Not like clutch that you have to pull down completely to make it work.

Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today made longer test ride. And it works. This small radiator cools the engine well. Im useing just water atm to cool the engine, didnt wanna use cooling liquid before because wasnt sure it will hold. Also made button for direct on/off for radiator fan.
Front brakes are more sensitive with one disc, but requires harder pull to work. Like just a bit lever pull and you can feel how it starts to brake, but thats all, you can feel it but its much slower braking.
Right now I have one original and other yoshimura muffler. Had some backfires with it, other than that, bike seems to run really good. Front wheel wanted to pull off the ground too often tho馃榿 not much weight at front.

About radiator fan, can someone help me a bit. Am I right that when its behind the radiator, it should blow to engine side? So like sucking from radiator side. But my problem is, that whenever I switch it on, engine temp raises faster. And it just doesent cool it. Any hints what might fix that?

KNEE DRAGGER
Today made longer test ride. And it works. This small radiator cools the engine well. Im useing just water atm to cool the engine, didnt wanna use cooling liquid before because wasnt sure it will hold. Also made button for direct on/off for radiator fan.
Front brakes are more sensitive with one disc, but requires harder pull to work. Like just a bit lever pull and you can feel how it starts to brake, but thats all, you can feel it but its much slower braking.
Right now I have one original and other yoshimura muffler. Had some backfires with it, other than that, bike seems to run really good. Front wheel wanted to pull off the ground too often tho not much weight at front.
View attachment 117678 View attachment 117679 View attachment 117680

About radiator fan, can someone help me a bit. Am I right that when its behind the radiator, it should blow to engine side? So like sucking from radiator side. But my problem is, that whenever I switch it on, engine temp raises faster. And it just doesent cool it. Any hints what might fix that?
I think that you will find that if you ride the bike really hard (track day) you will outrun that radiator pretty quickly. Even on stock engined race bikes, I struggled with cooling as soon as outside temps were in the 70-80F

My built Superbike engines, I fully struggled with cooling with high horsepower. I had a modified dual radiator TLR set up I was about to use, and also an option for a much larger capacity oil cooler.

Straight water actually has higher heat capacity than coolant but off nothing for corrosion, lubrication, or freeze protection.

Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to make forum bit more alive 馃槈

Driving at winter is kinda cool experience, specially at frosen lakes.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system

Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Snow Vehicle

Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
Just to make forum bit more alive 馃槈

Driving at winter is kinda cool experience, specially at frosen lakes.
If they ever do a remake of Mad Max in the snow, that bike is gonna be front and center........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Urbanjugle

Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bit hard to drive at fat snow, without steering damper it would be suicidal 馃槂

But yeah, Mad Max is my style 馃榿

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive lighting

Registered
i remember when i was kid used to go to see winter speedway races in my country and they used those spiked tires on ice...i think they stil do that...was fun to watch those bikes flying running on methanol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts