SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2012 SV650s, Loving the bike, it came with an aftermarket exhaust when I got it and I've recently removed the CAT for a more grunty sound, that did come and I love the noise however when holding constant speed it seems to start juttering till I give it a rev then a flame comes out and then she's all good till a bit down the road it does it again.

I've been told the ECU needs remapping however where I am for my bike I'm being quoted £425, seems extremely steep to me but I guess I'm not an expert so I can't comment, However I've noticed there is power commanders avaible that seem to do the job for most other people, my issue is I can't find one for the SV650s 2012?

Seems like most places believe the 2012 doesn't exist, So my question is what year should I get if they don't supply 2012? Has anyone else came across this problem, what was your fixes?

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Pretty certain the 2012 will be just aprogression from a year or 2 earlier, so maybe look at a 2011, or 2010...
Check out the part numbers of the ECU for your bike, and see what other years it was used in....that can help you back track that..
425 sounds like drug money to me.....can get it done here for that in AUD, so more 250 pounds.

Other things like the TPS and STPS settings may be out of wack, pretty basic tune up items. On our 1000cc bikes, the PAIR valve can casue some grief when
the exhaust is opened up too......it is there to supply some extra air into the exhaust to burn up th last of the spent gases. It can make some serious popping and gurgling.
Also, has an O2 sensor been removed wit the exhaust mod ? That would need an eliminator of some sort.

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
I've got a 2012 SV650s, Loving the bike, it came with an aftermarket exhaust when I got it and I've recently removed the CAT for a more grunty sound, that did come and I love the noise however when holding constant speed it seems to start juttering till I give it a rev then a flame comes out and then she's all good till a bit down the road it does it again.

I've been told the ECU needs remapping however where I am for my bike I'm being quoted £425, seems extremely steep to me but I guess I'm not an expert so I can't comment, However I've noticed there is power commanders avaible that seem to do the job for most other people, my issue is I can't find one for the SV650s 2012?

Seems like most places believe the 2012 doesn't exist, So my question is what year should I get if they don't supply 2012? Has anyone else came across this problem, what was your fixes?
Basically 2007 and up SV650s were the same. If the bike had a cat on it and you removed it, you 100% need a remap. They run like garbage. If you just do a can swap you are usually fine. Once the cat comes off though flow completely changes and the O2 sensors can freak out. 07 and up ECUs are great candidates to be direct write flashed and is far superior option to a PC unit.

-ms

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty certain the 2012 will be just aprogression from a year or 2 earlier, so maybe look at a 2011, or 2010...
Check out the part numbers of the ECU for your bike, and see what other years it was used in....that can help you back track that..
425 sounds like drug money to me.....can get it done here for that in AUD, so more 250 pounds.

Other things like the TPS and STPS settings may be out of wack, pretty basic tune up items. On our 1000cc bikes, the PAIR valve can casue some grief when
the exhaust is opened up too......it is there to supply some extra air into the exhaust to burn up th last of the spent gases. It can make some serious popping and gurgling.
Also, has an O2 sensor been removed wit the exhaust mod ? That would need an eliminator of some sort.
I was reading up it used to be around £40? And some people stated even £250 was high, Unfortunately just about everywhere seems to come back saying £400^
Ill get checking the ECU part number now and hope there is some connection somewhere, Sensor is still there, Its only a slippon with the back cat removed via angry screw-driver, It just seems to be when i hold any low speed in low revs the bike starts juttering back and forth like the engine is dying then when i rev it, it comes back to life and then does the same thing again when i sit at that speed for too long again.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basically 2007 and up SV650s were the same. If the bike had a cat on it and you removed it, you 100% need a remap. They run like garbage. If you just do a can swap you are usually fine. Once the cat comes off though flow completely changes and the O2 sensors can freak out. 07 and up ECUs are great candidates to be direct write flashed and is far superior option to a PC unit.

-ms
Honestly the cat was crumbling, The bike was lagging before i removed it and just decided to delete it anyways, Im fully aware it needs a remap, my difficult choice is where a PC is £350 and apparently fixes my problem most remap centers want more money than i have spare in maybe 3 months especially at this time of the year!

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
So the issue started as soon as you removed the cat?
If the O2 sensor is on the engine side of where the catwas, then its pretty much just down to serious confusion
in the ECU......you would have o assume that the exhaust temp at the O2 has dropped, and air flow increased.

Big shout out to UK members, where can the ECU be flashed for less than Harry and Meghan are getting paid by Netflix ?

Reactions: DR_ADHD
1 - 6 of 6 Posts