SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fully charged battery but no power when key is turned to ignition. When I attach an external power source all lights up and starts as normal, but bike will not idle once external source is removed. Thoughts please.

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,760 Posts
It looks like you've repaired or replaced your rotor magnets? Possibly, one or more magnets may not have been reinstalled correctly which would cause inadequate charging by the alternator. That or your original alternator was damaged by magnet destruction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like you've repaired or replaced your rotor magnets? Possibly, one or more magnets may not have been reinstalled correctly which would cause inadequate charging by the alternator. That or your original alternator was damaged by magnet destruction.
I fitted a New rotor and stator.

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,760 Posts
Okay, very good. As vic_bitter stated, unless your battery is brand new, it may be the source of the problem. If you put a voltmeter on the old battery with the external power source and then remove the external power source and the voltage rapidly drops, it would point to the battery not being able to charge from your new stator.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, very good. As vic_bitter stated, unless your battery is brand new, it may be the source of the problem. If you put a voltmeter on the old battery with the external power source and then remove the external power source and the voltage rapidly drops, it would point to the battery not being able to charge from your new stator.
It is a brand new battery with 13.8 volts showing

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,760 Posts
What does the voltage say when you remove the external power source?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a fully charged battery but no power when key is turned to ignition. When I attach an external power source all lights up and starts as normal, but bike will not idle once external source is removed. Thoughts please.
Earlier this year I had a similar situation. On first blush the battery appeared to be fully charged. No lights nothing however on further investigation I found that the battery was at or near zero amps despite showing 13+ volts. It would even show “green” on the trickle charger but instantly go “red” upon pressing the ignition button.

installed new battery and problem solved.

Reactions: NZ03SV1000

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Earlier this year I had a similar situation. On first blush the battery appeared to be fully charged. No lights nothing however on further investigation I found that the battery was at or near zero amps despite showing 13+ volts. It would even show “green” on the trickle charger but instantly go “red” upon pressing the ignition button.

installed new battery and problem solved.
Had exactly the same problem with a new battery. Fitted new battery and rode about 1.5 hours and after that would not start the bike. I put it on charge and it showed full charge but it was still dead when fitted. I refitted the old battery after charging, and the problem disappeared. Faulty battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts