SV Portal Forums banner
681 - 700 of 741 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Inspect the wire from your junction to the switch, thankfully it's only a short distance, while fixing the connector the wire might have been stretched or got nicked on the frame and now makes contact

·
Registered
74 Posts
The accepted "tutorial" on this forum was to bypass the orange with a butt connector. That's not accurate? If that's not the best solution then Ill plan on a more permanent solution to the green connector next time I have the airbox off.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The accepted "tutorial" on this forum was to bypass the orange with a butt connector. That's not accurate? If that's not the best solution then Ill plan on a more permanent solution to the green connector next time I have the airbox off.
Accepted tutorial? Which one? There's hundreds of post on the subject. Any electrical repair worth mentioning wouldn't recommend butt connectors. They corrode, wires get loose, connection is not watertight. Long and the short I wouldn't use them on a bike and specially not on a 30 amp line. IMHO

·
Registered
39 Posts
Accepted tutorial? Which one? There's hundreds of post on the subject. Any electrical repair worth mentioning wouldn't recommend butt connectors. They corrode, wires get loose, connection is not watertight. Long and the short I wouldn't use them on a bike and specially not on a 30 amp line. IMHO
yeah.....what he said!:supsmiley:

·
easy rider
286 Posts
Struggling at unplugging green connector.
Space is tight.
Depress two locks and pulling it apart is confounding me.
Almost went for the rotary cutting tool, but am asking for tips/advice first.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,182 Posts
Struggling at unplugging green connector.
Space is tight.
Depress two locks and pulling it apart is confounding me.
Almost went for the rotary cutting tool, but am asking for tips/advice first.
If needed pull the allen head screw that holds the metal bracket in place then pop out the connector from the bracket so it is easier to separate.

-MS

·
easy rider
286 Posts
'03 N started normally at home and took me five miles to work.
Ready for lunch and it's no go. No instrument/warning lights, no starter, no apparent electrical power. Multi-meter reports 12.4 volts.
Read forum (thank-you, everyone).
Its problems fit green connector issue. Up on the trailer then onto the lift.
Green connector appears to be in pristine condition.
Study schematics. Multi-meter testing, bewilderment and too-much time pass.
It was the battery at fault.
Presented voltage, but could not sustain a current. Confirmed with load-testing at auto parts store.
New battery in-place.
Now, to install risers, new hydraulic lines for brake & clutch, Buell dropped pegs, grips and we're good-to-go!

·
Registered
175 Posts

Ready for lunch and it's no go. No instrument/warning lights, no starter, no apparent electrical power. Multi-meter reports 12.4 volts.

Presented voltage, but could not sustain a current. Confirmed with load-testing at auto parts store.

New battery in-place.

Now, to install risers, new hydraulic lines for brake & clutch, Buell dropped pegs, grips and we're good-to-go!

Fantastic Scott glad u figured it out. Good luck on the upgrades as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Complete Electrical Failure/Green Connector

So started the bike one day to let it warm up, by the time I took the cover over and put it in my truck and walked back to the bike, the bike just shut off. Then had no power to starter or speedo/display, however the lights were still on. Didn't have time to work on it that day, came back next day and was going to work on it. Tried to start it just for the hell of it and it fired right up. Again, warmed up and then cut off. Waited another day and then it seemed fine... worked fine for a few days/rides.
Took it out on a ride the other day and during a normal acceleration the bike shut down completely almost causing me to dump it... I pushed it back home and started checking it out. No power to ANYTHING, tach stuck at 5 grand. Check the battery and terminals, both are fine. checked the fuses, all are fine. Checked the green connector issue from everyone's advice, sure enough one of the wires was fried. I completely took out the connector and connected all the wires directly to each other to bypass the connector all together. Got it all put back together, and still have absolutely nothing. Power isn't coming back the next day like it was before and now there is no lights either. Had to go to work the next day and haven't gotten a chance to work on it since. Not to mention I don't really know where to go from this point. Anyone have this happen to them/or have any ideas on a fix?

My apologies if I missed someone else's fix to this. I will thoroughly check these threads when I get back from work.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
New battery in-place.
Well, no, you're not really good to go. Kindly repeat after me: "My green connector is going to fail. Sooner or later, it's going to leave me stranded. Probably on a dark night, in the rain, a distance from home".

Pull it apart, connect all the wires individually with crimped-on spade connectors individually shrink wrap each connection and then the entire bundle wrapped in cold shrink tape. THEN, you are "good to go".

The green connector is a "hand grenade with the pin almost out". Treat it accordingly. Enjoy your SV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mark one more green connector victim! Mine died as I was heading to work. I stopped for some bread at the store. It cranked for a minute then went completely black! Before finding y'all, I traced it to the ignition switch so I thought. There is no sign of shorts on the connectors. I will bypass then recheck.

P.S. I have an 06 CA model. Not sure if anyone else has had issues with this year.

update: bypassed green connector, still no power. I checked the battery with multimeter. charge shows ok but when the key is turned to on, shows 3v. I'm going to try a battery from another bike to see if it's the same. I'd hate to spend $100 on a battery when it may be a short somewhere.

681 - 700 of 741 Posts