SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,*

I have a sv1000 sz k5 and have recently had the clutch basket sorted by sharealike. I have also changed the spark plugs and rebuilt the master and slave clutch cylinders. Have also swapped the rear indicators with LED units (resistors fitted to slow the repeater rate) and the number plate lights with LED units, no resistors.*

Basically the red warning light on the dash stays on all the time. Bike seems to run better than ever, but i dont want to rev much until light is sorted.

There is oil to the full line in the sight glass, when bike is upright.
The dealer mode tool comes up with c00.

Im stuck. Any suggestions? :s

Any help would be much appreciated.

Daniel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok. Just disconnected the oil pressure sensor and the light goes out immediately. Im sure the clutch basket slotted into place on the oil pump pulley. Is there anything else it could be before I drain the coolant and oil and take off the basket...?

Daniel

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,208 Posts
Sorted. Sharealike hadn't re-attached the gear to the basket. Now to wait for it to be posted out...

I hope you didn't run it for more than a few seconds. You had 0 oil pressure while running.
-ms

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,208 Posts
Was run for about 15 mins. Just have to cross my fingers for no damage?

Wow, I think you are asking for a bit much after running the bike that long w/o an oil pump.

Were you riding it? Or just idling it?

Was the motor making noise?

I have only seen a few of these engines starve for oil and all 3 of them had the big end bearings let loose first, but scored the mains pretty bad. One engine scarred up the cam journals too.

Consider the back of the piston crowns and cylinder walls were not being lubricated either... Over heated pistons and scuffed pistons/cylinders too.

I guess you can hope for the best and run it, but I wouldn't. I would at least be checking some stuff. The danger of running it is that a rod knocks a bit or similar and the next thing you know, the internal bits are now external bits with no way of a rebuild... If a rod shows even the tiniest bit of discoloration on the big end, bad things will happen.

-ms

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was ridden up to 3k revs and seemed pretty smooth. I am used to cars so was expecting the light to take a bit of a ride to go out. Scared me now. Is there a way of checking cylinder walls etc without a complete dismantle?

Thank you for your knowledge and time.

Daniel

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,208 Posts
Was ridden up to 3k revs and seemed pretty smooth. I am used to cars so was expecting the light to take a bit of a ride to go out. Scared me now. Is there a way of checking cylinder walls etc without a complete dismantle?

Thank you for your knowledge and time.

Daniel
Your car should not take a bit of a drive to get oil pressure either.
I guess you could use a borescope for the cylinders. You could pull the cams and look at the journals but the big ends of the rods is a tough one.

-ms

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest i was probably riding for around 5 minutes. Spoke to sharealike who says it should be fine as mileage is 32,000 so will have a little more play and the fact that I only rode about half a mile. Had someone ride over 100 miles without the dowel in place and was fine luckily.

A borescope is a good idea. Much appreciated.

Daniel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally managed to get the cylinders checked out. They are fine :D

Have now covered 350 problem free miles too. :)

will continue to cross fingers about bearings.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
While running without oil pressure surely doesn't help the engine live a long and happy life, you are proving the SV engine to be a pretty stout piece! We'll continue to wish you well and safe riding on the 'SV that couldn't be killed'.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Still running good? I made the exact same mistake. I only ran mine for around 20 seconds blipping the throttle once to see if it was just having trouble getting enough vacuum to draw the oil. After I shut it off I noticed a faint smell from the exhaust but no smoke. Another thing is mine hasn't been run for almost a year. I didn't pull the motor apart though, would there still be oil on the bearings and such? Hoping to get it corrected tomorrow night.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there from Czech Republic! I have an oil pressure/FI light question.....

Sometimes when I ride on a highway, my FI light turn on, bike still runs fine. Light doesnt come on after I switch it off and on again. This has happend a few times and doesn´t bother me much, BUT has anyone else had these issue? It happens only on highway never in town or on backroads. Coolant is fine, oil level is fine. It just seem just like faulty oil pressure sensor or momentary lower oil pressure drop. I have 2003 SV1000S with 62000 km.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,900 Posts
Have you got a dealer mode switch to see if there is a code coming up on the dash ? If so, when it happens next time, stop on the side of the road and leave the engine running and engage the
dealer switch, or you can bridge the terminals to ge the same effect.... see if that brings up anything.

You can remove the oil pressure switch and see if it has debris on it. When you say the oil level i sfine, you mean when the bike is upright, the oil level is at the top line on the sight glass ?
The lowest line is the bare minimum.....thogh at that level it will still be good

·
Vendor
189 Posts
No, but if you knew how many times I hear something similar with owners that just swapped a clutch basket you would cringe. All too often they don't install the oil pump gear onto the replacement basket, and then there are those that don't put in the dowel pin that locks the oil pump gear to the basket. So, it sits there and sort of turns the oil pump enough to show some pressure under some conditions. I put a warning label on the baskets I do, but I hear from a lot of owners overseas that have work done by a local shop or they put in a new OEM basket and are chasing this same problem listed.
FYI, when you buy a new basket from Suzuki, it does NOT have an oil pump gear. So installing a modified basket is the same....Both have to have the oil pump gear, dowel, and snap ring swapped onto the replacement baskets. I know of one bike that was started and run to warmup, then ridden 5 kilometers. Engine seized...but started when cooled down. Then he rode it back to his house. His e-mail to me was "why is this red light on"......

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,900 Posts
.........His e-mail to me was "why is this red light on"......
I shouldn't laugh.....but....

I get what you mean regarding the partial drive of the gear from the lack of the dowell, it would be intermittent i would guess......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts