SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

just added a Pcv to an 03 1000s, and plan on getting it tuned soon.
Meanwhile, while running the provided maps for my setup (yoshi 3/4, KN) I took a look at the tables and saw ignition was unchanged, with a 0 in every box.
Given that we’re able to alter spark with this box (confirmed that we don’t need a separate ignition box) and that the tables are editable, does anyone have experience with what typically works?

Obviously this is dependent on a multitude of other conditions, and I saw complaints from guys who changed out the woodruff key for one with -4 deg timing, but I wasn’t sure what to make of that. A lot of folks seem to say that a big advance down low is unproductive, but makes good power up top, on the 1000. No clue if that’s right, but any advice (or shared map) would be appreciated!

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,501 Posts
schmidt314 will be able to answer this for sure....... he is all knowing....(not sure if knows that though...;))

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
My SV1K loved a LOT more timing down low...but then wanted less than stock at higher revs. It really depends on the rest of the motor....if left stock with stock exhaust a 5 degree bump up to 6000 or so will help fuel economy and torque production but you don't want that much past that as the stock maps give in the 46 degree advance range. This is what the K5+ ECU's have...not exactly for sure about the K3-4 but would guess it's in the ballpark. The 4 degree advance key perked the stock engine up nicely but didn't help up on top....once we saw the total advance in the Woolich Racing tuning suite it became obvious as to why and was totally unsuitable with more compression and altered cam timings.

With 12.5:1 CR and 106/109 cam timing, Yoshi 3/4 exhaust I couldn't lean the WOT past the mid 11's without losing power up on top....because of the excessive timing advance. Reduced the total advance to mid 30's then was able to lean to a more friendly 12.5-13:1 and best power. I wouldn't try tuning your bike without a wideband O2 sensor if I were you. There are lots of variables to consider and the PC's give you enough room to really hurt things if you make mistakes.

Oh....is the PCV one of the latest ones? Reason I ask is...from what I've read....they won't allow you to muck around with any of the parameters within the emission control range, so you might not be able to do much down low and in the midrange with it. Earlier boxes let you play...but the EPA is really cracking down on tuning equipment as of late.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts