SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if a GSX-R rear shock will do any better in comparison to the SV1000S k3 Stock shock with the recommend spring from racetech.

When people do the swap we are just assuming that it will be "stiffer" but things like stroke and travel are important too.

Any experiences here with a Racetech rear spring or a Hyperpro rear spring? Hyperpro doesn't seem to publish any information beyond "it's a progressive spring"....

A lot of people here say the rear stock shock is not that bad.

Thanks

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,900 Posts
The stock rear shock can be modded with an aftermarket spring, BUT, it needs to have adaptor plates added, as the diameter of the spring is different.
On the Racetech site, it will give you a list of the items required.
Internally, it is possible to rejig it, but, best left to an expert i think.

I put a 04 GSXR1000 shock in mine......slightly stiffer spring, and the valving is different, particulary when you consider it has a shorter stroke then the SV shock..
It is also 3mm longer, which lifts the bike about 10mm directly above the axle....putting a little more weight over the front end, which is a good thing.

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did the same to my '04 as Missing Link described. I was able to find a shock on Ebay for less than a new spring so I figured I would try it.

The spring in the GSXR shock gave good static sag numbers (195 lb) and raised the rear which helped with turn-in on the track.

The travel on the GSXR shock is a bit shorter, but that never caused any noticeable issues for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the same to my '04 as Missing Link described. I was able to find a shock on Ebay for less than a new spring so I figured I would try it.

The spring in the GSXR shock gave good static sag numbers (195 lb) and raised the rear which helped with turn-in on the track.

The travel on the GSXR shock is a bit shorter, but that never caused any noticeable issues for me.
And the benefits?

I ride almost only "canyon roads" with a relatively fast pace, I used to have only sportbikes and I have a lot of experience on racetracks. Surprisingly I have after 3000kms almost 1 cm left of travel according to the "dirt indicator", great traction and no signs of weird wearing on the tire. The front is another history, I am planning to put a Matris Kit containing almost 60% of a typical cartridge kit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For me the benefits were better valving for sport/track riding, proper spring rate, and marginally more aggressive geometry and cornering clearance. The biggest one of all was that it was cheap.

The only downside was that long distance street comfort was decreased slightly due to the firmer rear end.

I found that just re-springing the forks for my weight and keeping fresh fluid was enough of an improvement for me, and got me into the slower end of A group at my local track. I think for improving the suspension on a budget this is the way to go. If more performance is desired then you can always step up to a cartridge kit or re-valve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts