SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have flushed my cooling system on my 2007 Sv 1000 and added distilled water and Kool It ( water wetter type product) at recommended mixture anticipating a track day.. After a couple months I noticed a leak. I dropped it off with Mylers hoping to get it re-cored as it was damaged from previous owner. They are telling me now that there are dozens of leaks and it is not repairable due to the distilled water/Kool It mixture causing the radiator to deteriorate. I have no reason not to believe what they are telling me but have not heard this before, has anyone ?
Where can I find an acceptable replacement?
Thanks

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
Not sure about that product, but, one would think that if there are multiple perforations, then something has to effecting it....and if there is no obvious damge at all these
points, then it kind of makes you think that the rot has set in from the inside..... I would be flushing the engine out very very thoroughly, in case it is that additive that
is causing it.......over time, it may be doing harm to the engine as well.....
I know that Motul Mocool is perfect for this job and i know people who have run it for a very long time without issue, but Kool It i know nothing about.

I have bought the Chinese ones off ebay that are polished alloy and all welded construction, i then sand them lightly and paint them with engine enamel....look perfectly
acceptable once the side gaurds go on.
Make sure of the condition of your mount rubbers, as they wear the radiator moves and flexes, and causes a leak in the top core under the top left mount......dicovered this
after having the exact same fail several times, even with a poisonously expensive OEM radiator.....no issue now so far....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks , I had searched other threads here and found that some had problems with the shiny ones. They seem too inexpensive to last, but I will give it a shot as there doesn’t seem to be alternatives.
They had mentioned a “reaction “ from the mix which seems strange to me as this is the kind of thing I would expect the chemical to prevent as a “corrosion inhibitor “ ?
They also mentioned that the purity of distilled water can cause it to want to leach the minerals from the radiator?
Just trying to learn .

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
Not sure about the leaching thing, although i spose its possible.
The Kool It blurb is a bit vague, it says it helps stop corrosion, but doesn't specifically say it is a corrosion inhibitor per-say......

For track use, particularly for a track day, where slipstreaming causing poor airflow isnt likelt to happen, just plain water is fine....
A lot of race series around the world wont allow additives of any kind, even things like Kool It or the Motul MoCool i mentioned....

The radiator thing is always a risk, there are ones that are almost identical to the SV unit, and the polished look units.....either/or is my opinion....
When you install, fill the bike with fresh water only and run it up to temp, or take it for a ride, then come back and after 10 mins, dump the water
remembering the drain plug on the front of the water pump housing to empty it all, then refill....and repeat.....this should remove any agents left
behind by welding processes and old cruddy coolant..... Then fill with an appropriate water / coolant mix (i would sugest glycol based for the road)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not sure about the leaching thing, although i spose its possible.
The Kool It blurb is a bit vague, it says it helps stop corrosion, but doesn't specifically say it is a corrosion inhibitor per-say......

For track use, particularly for a track day, where slipstreaming causing poor airflow isnt likelt to happen, just plain water is fine....
A lot of race series around the world wont allow additives of any kind, even things like Kool It or the Motul MoCool i mentioned....

The radiator thing is always a risk, there are ones that are almost identical to the SV unit, and the polished look units.....either/or is my opinion....
When you install, fill the bike with fresh water only and run it up to temp, or take it for a ride, then come back and after 10 mins, dump the water
remembering the drain plug on the front of the water pump housing to empty it all, then refill....and repeat.....this should remove any agents left
behind by welding processes and old cruddy coolant..... Then fill with an appropriate water / coolant mix (i would sugest glycol based for the road)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I also have a 2007 sv and started leaking top left, it was repaired a few months ago, all good so far.The company who repaired it said to me that they can build a radiator in copper, it will be slightly larger than stock as the copper does not cool or displace heat like aluminium.The stealerships here in South Africa are just so expensive with Suzuki parts it makes no sense in buying from them.Have you looked at copper as an alternative?
regards
Shamless

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
I also have a 2007 sv and started leaking top left, it was repaired a few months ago, all good so far.The company who repaired it said to me that they can build a radiator in copper, it will be slightly larger than stock as the copper does not cool or displace heat like aluminium.The stealerships here in South Africa are just so expensive with Suzuki parts it makes no sense in buying from them.Have you looked at copper as an alternative?
regards
Shamless

No.....not looked at copper..... i got a alloy purpose built one priced here for about $800 aud...... built by a large compay here that bild racing radiators and intercoolers.....
It would be similar price to OEM.....but i would nknow it would be tough as hell....

When you say yours went on the upper left, do you mean , sitting on the bike left side....and just under the top bracket ?
I have had two OEM and severall OEM ones go there..... the finsare fuses the the top cross-plate, and then to the top core tube.
The radiator shakes back and forward and flexes that top plate and pulls on the core and tears it open.
That is my summation anyway......and aprt form needing a bottom mount bracket to stabilise it, i found that the rubbers have softened up and lost
the ability to absord movement, i have shortened the inner spacers by 1.5mm and they are much firmer, and the radiator barely moves compared to previous

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After vigorously flushing the bike and inspecting the radiator, I suspect some sort of sealer or stop leak had been added prior to me owning the bike. I did buy it from a bike dealer and the radiator had been bent up . The bike has obviously been on its side. I am getting a white powdery substance and some flakes from the bike and I can see build up inside the radiator.
I ordered a couple shiny ones of eBay that supposedly were shipping from CA. but they never did ship . Got a quick refund and found a used unit (black) in FL. and ordered it. I did see a listing for a new black OE type unit complete with filler and bracket and I may order it for a spare but it will be
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot
shipping from China and a month + out and likely longer considering the current situation.
Any experience with these ?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Try to get a Delkevic, I had one and it never gave me any trouble, had the bike for a while and sold it to a friend who kept it for a few years and it was fine.

On another one I got a Chinese one and one of the brakets came lose, had it welded and shortly after it started leaking.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
Have had the Delkevic ones, and they failed the same way...... I truly believe that the rubber mount cushions get weak and allow shake and flex.......

Had the ame failure with an OEM unit......

Reactions: Urbanjugle
1 - 10 of 10 Posts