SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I know that there are a number of issues addressing engine lugging/noise etc. I am not sure I have the vocabulary to use the search feature to adequately find a thread about what I am experiencing. Things you need to know: The green connector is bypassed. There is a new- newer model year flywheel with pre-JB welded magnets (And WHOOOO BABY it is SPRITELY and smooth down low comparatively!) I've read of the need to look into TPS, TB Sync, and the clutch basket - but I don't think what I have is these things.

What I am noticing:
Cruising at a steady speed, with RPM's at 4600-4900 or 5k, there is this rattle feeling coming through the throttle. It doesn't happen below or above these RPMs, and it doesn't feel anything like the chugging feeling of too low RPM, or the superfast buzz of the high RPMS (but maybe it is all connected). It feels almost like something is just rattling around inside of something. But I have no knocking noises or extra sound associated with it, just the feeling, at the specific RPMs. Any clues?

·
Registered
543 Posts
4600 - 4900 is prime rev range for clutch basket chudder.....kinda feels like the engine is loose in the frame as the rev's go through this zone
However, also check you primary drive nut is tight as this has been known to come loose and causes noise as it rubs on the back of the clutch basket.

As a preventative measure take it off and loctite it back on...NB it has a left hand thread

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm I will think on this clutch basket thing. I think it is low priority as I really don't think its make too much noise right now and the clutch is working properly. I may look at the primary drive nut...
But I report back today to state this: I replaced the spark plugs as they PO had never touched them, and that smoothed out the revs all the way through. I am not really noticing the feeling at the 4600-4900 rpm mark,. 5000 is a smoooooooth rpm to chug along at, and the "chugging" of the low RPM acceleration dropped from unbearable at 3500 RPM to 2500 RPM (obviously this doesn't apply in 1st gear)

·
Vendor
177 Posts
Actually clutch chudder is most prevalent in the 2500-4000 rpm range. Above that the vibrations can come from a badly worn clutch basket main bearing....but that usually isn't in a tight range of rpm. There are many cases of the Primary Gear nut and weird washer behind it coming loose. The washer can actually break and come out. The backside of the clutch basket where the steel gear meets the aluminum can get marked up badly due to hitting the nut/washer.
The specific rpm range you mention the vibrations in sound more like a harmonic vibration. Not clutch related due to it being there in cruise and not just under heavier load. Harmonic vibrations are natural engine imbalances that get magnified due to loose engine mounts or parts attached to the engine that can vibrate.
You don't mention how many miles/kilometers are on your SV? Do you know if the clutch basket has been replaced before?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
25-30K miles is where they are often so bad the bikes get sold! There is a "chudder test" listed on my website under one of the clutch basket pages. Click on link in my signature. That will help decide how much of a vibration your basket is causing.
Alright, I went out for a nice New Year’s Eve ride despite that I’m a little ill as you got me very worried! Thanks for getting me off the couch.
I did notice a clutch chudder but I would consider mine very minor, only really noticeable at the lowest end of the spectrum, and it’s choppy through my foot pegs (I stripped the rubber off of them) with sport boots on. That said, I suppose I’ll need a new basket but I’m thinking I might be able to hold off for a little bit until I can afford it..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe I had something similar to what you are describing with my bike not long ago. If your bike still has the standard headlight assembly, remove the light and make sure the connectors inside the housing are secure, not able to bounce on the housing. The noise they make made me think there was something wrong with the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts