SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the diameter of the rear axle?

I know the nut uses a 36mm socket but what is the diameter of the axle that it threads onto? Is it the normal-ish 24mm x 1.5 thread pattern that some other 1000cc bikes have?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,605 Posts
The axle diameter is 28mm where the bearings contact it......as for the thread, that would need a vernier to check the outer diameter of that....that said, the washer the nut runs against is 25.2 id
So your guess at 24 is probably not far off....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anyone wants to put a set of calipers on the threads of the rear axle to verify I would appreciate it.

I believe I found info that the SV1000 uses a M25 x 1.5 rear axle nut like some other Suzukis. I sold my SV and got a GSXS that uses a single-use (distorted thread flange nut) rear axle nut that bites into the axle threads (in place of a cotter pin). I attached a pic for anyone curious.

I am looking to replace the GSXS nut with another style of rear axle security nut that I can re-use and that will not mess up the rear axle's threads. I think the SV1000 nut will work (after drilling some holes in the axle for the cotter pin).
Automotive tire Rim Circle Auto part Metal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts