SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just started to bring back to life a SV1000 track bike. It’s sat for two years and the left rear freeze plug in the head is popped. The issue is I think it went down the oil return path, can it stay there or is it likely to get into the cam chain gears. Any help or suggestions are welcome.
thanks

·
Registered
2003 SV1000s (YC2)
111 Posts
Hi John

You're inside the valve cover and don't see the plug? When I popped them myself they stayed very close to the normal position, just pushed out a bit and rotated askew.

If the bike fell over after popping the plug maybe you could be unfortunate enough to have it go down beside the cam chain. But you should be able to see it with a side cover off of the motor in that case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John

You're inside the valve cover and don't see the plug? When I popped them myself they stayed very close to the normal position, just pushed out a bit and rotated askew.

If the bike fell over after popping the plug maybe you could be unfortunate enough to have it go down beside the cam chain. But you should be able to see it with a side cover off of the motor in that case.
Thanks for the response, ill Look deeper in the motor. So if I remove the stator cover I can see the exit of the cam chain?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,501 Posts
Yeah, you should see the cam chain lower gear.......but, if it has made it that far it has probably made it into the sump......

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again, if it made it to the sump can it be removed without splitting the cases?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,501 Posts
As ong as you can snag it, no problems.....If its steel, then its magnet time, though it may have got caught by the sump plug......
If you haven't already changed the oil, you might have to dump it to make it easy to find......

But have a good look in that cam chain run and make sure it isn't snagged up in there....

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,136 Posts
Hi, just started to bring back to life a SV1000 track bike. It’s sat for two years and the left rear freeze plug in the head is popped. The issue is I think it went down the oil return path, can it stay there or is it likely to get into the cam chain gears. Any help or suggestions are welcome.
thanks
You definitely need to fish it out one way or another.

From experience, you also need to check the other freeze plugs. Make all are in good shape and have not been displaced.

-ms

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,501 Posts
Strangely, we dont suffer this issue here.....:unsure:🥵

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I see it, at the very bottom of the jug where it connects to the case. There is an oil Chanel on the piston side of the chain. It seems wedged in their, now it time to figure out how to get it out. I wonder if I can get access by removing the side cover. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,501 Posts
You "might" be able to poke it from below with the cover removed.....again i dont know if that plug is steel, a magnet might fish it out....

If the stator cover has to come off, at least you can check your rotor magnets, if you haven't dont them yet.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts