SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally made the time to inspect my rotor magnets (2003N, ~12K miles). All magnets are secure and look good with the exception of one magnet (left side of photo) that has shifted and is now touching another magnet. all other magnets are in their original positions. The bike runs and starts fine and is being prepped for a track day in May.
Can I go ahead with the JB weld for all magnets as is, or do I need remove and relocate the shifted magnet? It is not loose. If it needs to be relocated, how do I remove it? Thanks
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Vendor
186 Posts
Simply clean up the area with brake/parts cleaner real good. CAREFULLY ease the loose magnet back so gap is equal on both sides. Make sure all others are equal too. Don't try to lift the magnet, but "scoot" it back into position. These are brittle so be gentle. Then JB Weld ( only use the 24 hour cure version!!!) all the gaps. No need to fully fill them. All you need is a bridge across the bottom. Make it fairly level front to back. Do NOT leave a hole/gap at the rear! Plenty of pics and info here about the process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I tried to see if the magnet was loose when I first inspected it and could not get it to move. I will try to slide it back into place, If I can't move it will I need to heat it?
Looked at your website for the clutch basket mod. Impressive. That will like be my next update.

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,773 Posts
I will try to slide it back into place, If I can't move it will I need to heat it?
Yes. The magnets start sliding around after engine heat loosens the old, degraded glue that holds them in place. A little heating of the rotor directly beneath the magnet that you want to loosen is the way to go. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Turns out the magnet was loose. Pulled down from the top and it slid right back into place. Have started the JB weld process.
Thanks guys.
I used the steel reinforced JB weld which to my surprise is magnetic (must really have steel in it) which made it harder to do. So use the non metallic version. Hope I'm not too late

·
Registered
189 Posts
take your time, dont rush as it has to be cured for 24hrs, i didnt removed the rotor, kept it in and rotate it as i jb welded magnets, otherwise it is gonna drip all over place, used blue tape to stop it from running out.
keep us posted how it turn out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I taped card stock over the gaps between the magnets and injected the JB weld into the gaps. A heat gun will remove the magnet, unfortunately it may loosen others. I overdid it, removed the rotor, all the magnets and JB'ed all of it. I checked the bolts holding the stator and they were just a tad loose so I took those out and they had oil on the threads which meant the bolt holes had oil in them, so I sprayed it all off with break cleaner, blew it all out with compressed air and loctited the bolts, done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts