SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up a little brother to keep the SV1K company...RE Interceptor 650. Basic black with a single strand of pearls...classic good looks. :) The RE's share a lot of the same qualities that make the SV's such a popular bike: great handling, manageable size and built to a price point that people can afford. They really are just begging for mods which I really appreciate...make a serviceable machine but don't get extravagant with bits that people can then improve to personalize and improve it as they go along. My SV is just about done...had it for 10 years now and every winter it's been torn down and built back up better. Every spring I get a new bike! But the SV is reaching the end of its' modding life as it's getting about as good as I can make it without making compromises I'm just not willing to make. So..a new project will be in the shed tonight!

RE makes two 650's...the Interceptor and Continental GT. First one has conventional peg and bars while the GT has more rearset and clip-on's. I went with the Interceptor because there's no way to easily convert the GT to GP shift...which is a requirement for me. The linkage on the Interceptor can be modded by cutting off the tab for the shift linkage and rewelding it on the bottom....presto-changeo....GP!

These 'Modern Classic' bikes must be looked at with nostalgic eyes rather than our jaded modern ones...at least when the engine performance is concerned. You might ask.."Why does it only have 47 HP while the SV650 has 72"? It's because it only spins 7400 max and makes max power at 7000 so it's more of a 'grunter' than a 'screamer'. This level of performance exactly matches what was available back in the mid '60's when RE made the MKII Interceptors though this modern version has a frame designed by Harris in England and it's a good one! Brakes by the Indian subsidiary of Brembo which are enough for the speed potential of the bike...and did I mention it's really a beautiful little bike? :)

The engine is just begging for mods! We already have exhaust cans and some other bits in the post even before I made the deal to buy this one. We'll have a bump in performance right from the get-go then gradually improve on it as time goes on. There are 750 and 865 kits available now...along with various 2-1 exhaust options and a hot S&S cam should we want to spin it up a bit more. I'm going to try to keep this one civilized and the 'fun' bike while the SV1K is pretty snorty now and is a bit challenging to ride as it really, really wants to GO!

I always complain about 'modern bikes' being over-complicated and this 650 bucks that trend pretty well. Electronic FI with closed loop operation is just like cars from 2004'ish and well established...and this one is the 2020 which was the last year for Euro 4 emissions. 2021's get Euro 5 which is VERY much intrusive to us modifiers and I jumped on one of the last 2020's around here to get the Euro 4. Plus it comes with Pirelli Phantom Sport tires on silver rims...much nicer than the SEAT tires on black rims the 2021's have. Would you believe this is my first bike with wire wheels?! I started with a '76 RD400C and everything else has had cast rims...going back in time here. Got to find my old dial phone next and then it'll be smoke signals for me down the road. Already have muzzle loaders with flintlock's to go back in time with firearms so it only makes sense to go back on the bikes too. :) If you're in the market for a new bike that looks great and aren't concerned with cutting-edge engine performance...and want to wrench on it yourself without $$$$ of tools...these bikes are simple and easy to work on and would make a dandy 'first bike' for newer riders. Ride safe everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! I love the look of the REs too. Have fun

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,398 Posts
Congrats Mr Rob....

Heard a couple people are stripping and doing balancing and blueprinting of the motor and getting a couple more ponies with the reduction in vibes, and obviously less stress on components.....

Be interesting to see what you can make out of it.....

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats Mr Rob....

Heard a couple people are stripping and doing balancing and blueprinting of the motor and getting a couple more ponies with the reduction in vibes, and obviously less stress on components.....

Be interesting to see what you can make out of it.....
Yes....some folks over your way have a shop and a bunch of video's on the bike....and were part of the reason I wanted to get one. They are well built and in stock form VERY lightly stressed. I'm hoping to leave it semi-stock....but so far have about $500 in parts on the way...just....can't....help....myself. :) The thing actually runs pretty well and would make a dandy first bike...much better than the Kawasaki 250, Honda 300..ect. that are normally recommended. This handles well, has good torque but a very linear throttle so you'd have to be really ham-handed to get yourself into trouble on it, and fast enough to have fun. The way it runs and handles is very coordinated and it just feels good to ride.

I'm sure if it ever hurts a piston...the 750 kit is going in. But in the interest of 'purity' I'm going to see what we can make out of it with the motor pretty much stock. Exhaust cans (TEK) will be here tomorrow which I'm not expecting a huge power increase but a little more sound...though the thing actually makes pretty pleasant sounds stock...kind of surprised at that. They did a really bang-up job on this bike! The real question everyone needs to ask themselves is "How much time is spent with your speed being determined by how much power you have'? On a really powerful bike...that you can't run but in very brief little blasts on the street...that answer is 'almost never'. This Interceptor can double the speed limit anywhere but on the super highways....looks to be about 110 mph, and once broken in and with the 16T counter-sprocket installed it might have a bit more. The old saying 'more fun running a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow'...holds true.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,398 Posts
................................. The real question everyone needs to ask themselves is "How much time is spent with your speed being determined by how much power you have'? On a really powerful bike...that you can't run but in very brief little blasts on the street...that answer is 'almost never'. ..........................The old saying 'more fun running a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow'...holds true.................
My wife had a Yamaha Zeal....stit up and beg postion with basically a slightly tamed FZR250 motor (cams and no EXUP) with 45 hp....14000rpm versus 18 for the FZR and, yeah, the chassis was like licorice, but, on a tight road
it was stupidly good fun.......light as a feather and if you kept it percolating, pretty quick, the power might have been down, but the torque was reasonable.....
So, i reckon if you haven' tried it, dont knock it......

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So....it's been a little over a week and the new Interceptor is growing up right before my eyes....makes me so proud! He has new exhaust cans, adjustable levers and sump guard from TEC, compact engine guard bars from RE and I just converted him to GP shifting...as God and the British Empire intended. The procedure was pretty simple: saw off the tab that holds the linkage on the shift lever, weld it on the underside in about the same location, move the shift lever attached to the transmission spline a few notches to correct the geometry and Presto! We have GP! Much, much better. :)
P1150011.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts