SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a picture of the top of the shock shaft where the nut holds the piston onto the shaft? Trying to see if there is enough room to space the piston up to lengthen the shock or just to buy an aftermarket shock that has a ride height adjuster. Going to get a 9kg spring and valve it if I can lengthen the shock a pic will just save me some time.

Cheers
MM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the top of the shock shaft where the nut holds the piston onto the shaft? Trying to see if there is enough room to space the piston up to lengthen the shock or just to buy an aftermarket shock that has a ride height adjuster. Going to get a 9kg spring and valve it if I can lengthen the shock a pic will just save me some time.

Cheers
MM
See this post:

·
Registered
3 Posts

Cheers
MM
In order ti rise the rear of your bike you will have to rise the front too,otherwise you will change the geometry of the bike.
Only rising the back will make the bike turning too fast in the corners.
Be aware of body weight/spring hardness ratio.
If the rebound/compression is set correctly you will feel confident on the bike.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts

Cheers
MM

So, you want to effectively lengthen the shaft by maybe remaking the piston so it allows the shaft to extend further from the shock body ?
I would assume that may put the (presumably) stepped and threaded section of shaft at risk of encountering the seal....?

Not sure how much you are looking for, but, i have a 04 gixxer thou shock, and from memory it was 3-5mm longer, which raised the bike about 10mm above the axle....made the front end a little more planted without making it too quick on the turn-in......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In order ti rise the rear of your bike you will have to rise the front too,otherwise you will change the geometry of the bike.
Only rising the back will make the bike turning too fast in the corners.
Be aware of body weight/spring hardness ratio.
If the rebound/compression is set correctly you will feel confident on the bike.
Yep fully aware of the changes that lengthening the shock, I want to increase the swing arm angle. I'm happy for the bike to steer a little sharper( would like this) . The std springs are too soft for me even though the sags are ok, I really don't like the fork springs or valving and the rear std squats to much even with the sag set.

The link doesn't show what I'm after the shock would need to be apart and looking at a pic of the nut on top of the shaft clamping the piston down.

MM

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Yeah, might be strugglins to get the pic you want, unless someone has a spare that they are will ing to cannabalise and put up pics.....

The front end needs .95 springs for bigger guys generally up to .98 ..... And 5w instead of 2.5w helps a lot..

On my 03 the standard 162mm air gap is woeful.....i dragged it up to 135 and that helped it heaps.....a little less than Racetech suggested for the .98 spring i used.
The rear lift helped heaps, and slipping the forks through 3mm got it pretty good.....all without spending money on valving.....

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, might be strugglins to get the pic you want, unless someone has a spare that they are will ing to cannabalise and put up pics.....

The front end needs .95 springs for bigger guys generally up to .98 ..... And 5w instead of 2.5w helps a lot..

On my 03 the standard 162mm air gap is woeful.....i dragged it up to 135 and that helped it heaps.....a little less than Racetech suggested for the .98 spring i used.
The rear lift helped heaps, and slipping the forks through 3mm got it pretty good.....all without spending money on valving.....
Got some 0.95's no rear spring yet, going for a 9kg. Looks like I'll have to pull it down to see if I have room to shim the piston before I buy a spring. If there is no room I'll buy a shock. Valving for me is free just a little time ☺☺ I'd rather valve than play with oil weights.

MM

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,157 Posts

Cheers
MM
What kind of extra length are you looking for? There is not much margin at the top of the shock shaft on these to space the piston up the shaft.

You might also be able modify the seal head a bit to get a tiny bit of length?

-ms

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure yet was going to try 2mm and see what I get. I'll pull it down and have a look. If it's no good I'll just buy one of those tfx shocks of teknic.

·
Registered
543 Posts

Cheers
MM
Here you go
What you want to do is a non starter
Tool Wood Auto part Nickel Cylinder
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system

Reactions: Marty Moose

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Here you go
What you want to do is a non starter
Excellent answer for Marty Moose..... i think the engineering required to be able to refix the piston set-up safely would outweigh the benefits.

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just get the 3 way Elka with the ride height adjustment option...top quality shock...very happy with mine. I have my ride rear ride height raised via the Elka adjustment to quicken the steering

Reactions: Missing Link

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Just get the 3 way Elka with the ride height adjustment option...top quality shock...very happy with mine. I have my ride rear ride height raised via the Elka adjustment to quicken the steering
You have web link to the one you got ? I only ask because when i search, Elka only seem to be for ATV/UTV and Can-Am Spyders

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,157 Posts
You have web link to the one you got ? I only ask because when i search, Elka only seem to be for ATV/UTV and Can-Am Spyders
Elka has kind of quit doing road bike stuff the last I talked with them. They have supplied me with service parts and support though for rebuilds I have done.

-ms

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Elka has kind of quit doing road bike stuff the last I talked with them. They have supplied me with service parts and support though for rebuilds I have done.

-ms

Cheers mate....... makes sense.....

·
Registered
543 Posts
I wouldn't bother...the oe shock is a POS

·
Registered
543 Posts
Odd ball sized spring (different at one end to the other), valving too stiff yet playing with the shims doesn't have the desired effect, its as though the valve itself is restricting the flow
Adjusters seem to do very little

I couldn't believe the difference when I fitted my Elka and got it dialled in
Have a read of this
Rear Shock and Rear Spring rate. (sorry pictures are gone but if you click on the links they still open)

and this

1 - 20 of 25 Posts