SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok SV Portalers.
I have a ‘03 that I rode blissfully unaware for nearly 1,000 miles in the last month. Now that I’m aware, I plan to fix the green connector and the flywheel. It is an ‘03, so should I just order a new lighter flywheel- jb weld between the magnets, install. Then- jb weld the old and sell to recoup/ or keep as backup …
…or just open it up and look and see what I’m dealing with?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok SV Portalers.
I have a ‘03 that I rode blissfully unaware for nearly 1,000 miles in the last month. Now that I’m aware, I plan to fix the green connector and the flywheel. It is an ‘03, so should I just order a new lighter flywheel- jb weld between the magnets, install. Then- jb weld the old and sell to recoup/ or keep as backup …
I have an '03 as well & I've read about these issues but honestly I've never had a bit of trouble with either. I'm more concerned with doing my valve check. Just picked up some feeler gauges.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an '03 as well & I've read about these issues but honestly I've never had a bit of trouble with either. I'm more concerned with doing my valve check. Just picked up some feeler gauges.
Valve check is on the list as well, many members of two wheeled Texans offer to help for a case of beer sort of thing so I might ask about that when I get to it…refreshing forks and upgrading springs, bleeding front brake, checking on connector and magneto are on my to-do list,

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,157 Posts
Ok SV Portalers.
Inspect and see what you have. If all good or just 1 slipped, it could be a quick fix. If a bunch are hammered and cracked a new unit might be an easier way to make the repair.

-ms

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Inspect and see what you have. If all good or just 1 slipped, it could be a quick fix. If a bunch are hammered and cracked a new unit might be an easier way to make the repair.

-ms
Thanks. Just waiting on the new gasket and the removal tool and I’ll take a peek inside.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
If you are prepared to spend the coin on the later model rotor and JB it, then by all means, sort out your old one and you should get a buyer at the right price for sure.
Few people out there with trashed magnets and their only option is find some hens teeth (spare magnets) or buy a new rotor and JB it .......

If you find you original has some broken magnets, then your spres will sell real quick for sure.......

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
171 Posts
if you take off your rotor cover carefuly you wont need new gasket, clean it and reuse it, once you pull the cover off some little gear might also come out with washer so make sure you put it back in same order.
happy wrenching;)

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Agree with Urbanjungle.....i use a little grey oil compatible gasket paste.....non hardening....used the same gasket 3 times that way......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow.
You guys, I believe thanks to this forum I avoided complete disaster. Once I got word of the problems this bike can have I stopped riding and ordered parts and collected supplies…after all I’m working with a bike that’s not been routinely run and maintained in the last 7-8 years, what’s a few weeks.

I ran out of time tonight to get it off but…my flywheel has all intact magnets BUT 4 ARE TOUCHING with flakes of yellow epoxy all over.

tomorrow I’ll be getting the flywheel off and I’ll share some pics

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Wow.
You guys, I believe thanks to this forum I avoided complete disaster. Once I got word of the problems this bike can have I stopped riding and ordered parts and collected supplies…after all I’m working with a bike that’s not been routinely run and maintained in the last 7-8 years, what’s a few weeks.

I ran out of time tonight to get it off but…my flywheel has all intact magnets BUT 4 ARE TOUCHING with flakes of yellow epoxy all over.

tomorrow I’ll be getting the flywheel off and I’ll share some pics

Make sure you keep the magnets in the orientation they are currently in......make some marks on them like 1 to 1....2 to 2 on the ends.....otherwise you may put them in reverse, which leaves you with 2 norths or souths facing each other, and this will affect output.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Make sure you keep the magnets in the orientation they are currently in......make some marks on them like 1 to 1....2 to 2 on the ends.....otherwise you may put them in reverse, which leaves you with 2 norths or souths facing each other, and this will affect output.....
I plan on that, I’m only worried about spacing and potentially not having clearance for the stator. As a former pro bicycle mechanic I’m handy enough but I admit I’m afraid of doing things like adding jb weld to the inside of an engine…I’m about to sound very silly here - the little gears in the front of the case fell out, is there a photo I can use to orient them properly? Do I need to worry about them being rotated in any particular way?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Would assume you mean the starter gears..

The back of the magnets only need the tinnest smear of JB, assuming you are using the 2 part type.....as long as there are no "air pockets"
then clamp them in place, i sued a 6mm bit of pine rod between each to get a perfect spacing....dont worrt about oil holes if your rotor has them
just fill them completely too....

Product Automotive lighting Font Auto part Circle

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,769 Posts
Wow.

I ran out of time tonight to get it off but…my flywheel has all intact magnets BUT 4 ARE TOUCHING with flakes of yellow epoxy all over....
Yes sir, great job on inspecting your magnets! You surely saved yourself A LOT of grief down the road before one or more magnets let loose.:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok. Put on hold till I grab a impact tomorrow but the magnets are numbered and ordered. The task seems pretty doable once I get it off. However, my sprocket cover feels immovable. Previous owner had random JB weld and red loctite in a lot of places so …yea.

question unrelated: In lieu of completing one thing I began my green connector journey tonight as well. Upon inspection, at 29,700 miles, my green connector has zero sign of heat damage. Should I bypass with the thicker gauge orange wire anyways? I have materials to solder and heat shrink it.
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Steering part Motor vehicle

Light Purple Sleeve Gesture Computer keyboard

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
The connector looks great..... I never rpelaced the wire myself, i replaced the whole ocnnector with a Sure-Seal waterproof one...and the actual pins in it are
possibly smaller, but they are roundpins ino round tubes, so the contact is perfect....

I would probably just firm up the "sprung" part of the connectors, spray them lightly with a good lube and put some waterproof grease around where the wires enter and on the black seal.
Clearly there is some grit there to remove too......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well poo. I dropped a magnet on a tile floor. Kaboom. Guess I am going to order the newer lighter flywheel and have 5 magnets for sale…
Green connector fix done, I decided to just take out the 1 thick orange wire and bypass trick. Fork rebuild next.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts