SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the causes of vibration? After I fixed magnets, my engine didnt have any kind of vibration, like when I looked at mirror, i saw clear image. But now, cant see that clear image anymore. Magnets are still in place (jb welded) cause checked that at first . It ususally happens when revs go over 5k or so. I also can feel it good with my knees when i rev it up.
I have lately checked my tappet clearance and they were right in spec. ( tho its weird that they were right how they supposed to be). TBs are synced, TPS is in right spot.

So any ideas what else can cause vibrations exept lose magnets?
And offtopic, but is there a way how to know that one sparkplug isnt working properly?

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Also my radiator works fine, im not a track guy, but I love to ride alot at 130-150 km/h and my temp havnt gone over 100°c.
Outside temp is usually below 15°c also and usual riding temp stays 87°c or so

·
Vendor
171 Posts
If you have not addressed the clutch basket issue....that can be a source of vibration. While most associate clutch basket vibration in the 2500-4000 rpm range, if the main bearing is badly worn ( they get egg shaped ) and allowing the mass of the clutch basket to be off center that can and does cause vibrations in the upper rpm range.

Then there are the vibes that can come from a loose or incorrectly torqued engine mount.

·
Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have not addressed the clutch basket issue....that can be a source of vibration. While most associate clutch basket vibration in the 2500-4000 rpm range, if the main bearing is badly worn ( they get egg shaped ) and allowing the mass of the clutch basket to be off center that can and does cause vibrations in the upper rpm range.

Then there are the vibes that can come from a loose or incorrectly torqued engine mount.
Thnx for reply, one of my friend also sayd to check my engine mounts. I did add those black fall protections on the side frame, maby I didnt tighten them good enough. Will check em today. About clutch, I know its slipping and needs to be sent to you to fix it, but right now I gotta ride :) . Its not winter yet and I just feel empty if I cant ride with my bike.

·
Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I checked engine mounting bolts and they were all tightend in specs. Is there anything else to check? Well, some bolts were too tight, should i loosen them bit to specific torque? Can vibration come if theyr too tight?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
I would certainly look into what realshelby has suggested.
My bike vibed real bad from 5 up, and, yes mine has a hell of a lot more k's on it, from about 6000 up under hard accleration, it was that bad my clutch started to slip....
The basket shakes that much it causes the hub ramps to "chudder" apart and clamping pressure is lost.

Get a basket from realshelby, and either replace the hub with the 2nd gen DL hub if you want the slipper, or like i did, the 1st gen DL, non-slipper hub..... ooh la la....nice
and smooth.....

·
Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would certainly look into what realshelby has suggested.
My bike vibed real bad from 5 up, and, yes mine has a hell of a lot more k's on it, from about 6000 up under hard accleration, it was that bad my clutch started to slip....
The basket shakes that much it causes the hub ramps to "chudder" apart and clamping pressure is lost.

Get a basket from realshelby, and either replace the hub with the 2nd gen DL hub if you want the slipper, or like i did, the 1st gen DL, non-slipper hub..... ooh la la....nice
and smooth.....
So, I got a speeding ticket today and if I get caught again, i will lose my licences. Cause of that I opend my clutch cover today.
Why to change the hub tho?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
The hub itself is a two piece unit with ramps.... the "driven" one smacks up against the other under power and causes an increase in clamping pressure. Under deceleration it drops the pressure dramatically allowing the clutch to slip if required to prevent rear wheel lock-up......
The SV version of this is poorly designed, and bangs around like crazy, and creates additional vibes to the basket....

The 2nd generation DL (V-Strom) slipper hub is better designed and eliminates a lot of the problem.

The 1st Generation DL hub is non-slipper..... just a one piece unit...no moving parts, no shakey shakey....

Currenty, your hub, and the 2nd gen has 6 springs...they are relatively light, relying on the clamping pressure to finish the task...

The 1st gen DL hub has 5 heavier springs.....which does the job really well....with a little more lever pressure, which is easily accomodated after a few days....
Stop start traffic is where you may notice the pressure a little, but its easy to kick it into neutral.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts