SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen the Spears clutch cable system for sale and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what sort of advantage a cable clutch system might have over the OEM hydraulic one?

Has anyone used the Spears cable system?

·
Crazy Old Foole
7,329 Posts
I haven't used one on an SV, but I'm thinking of it on one of 'em.
The biggest advantage is "engagement feel", and greater control over lever position at engagement.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,219 Posts
You can piece the kit together your self.

Clutch actuator from SV650 or TL1000S 23200-15500
Return spring 09443-08047
TLS clutch cable for sure or SV650S cable I think also 58200-02F00
TLS or 04-05 GSX-R clutch perch and cable I am sure there are others but I know these work for sure. 57500-40F10
Just cut the clutch push rod down a bit also.

Look on ebay, I have converted several bikes and love it. Buy a new cable and you can often get the other pieces used for less than $30 total. Puts conversion about $45

-MS

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
just remember.. it is not (necessarily) going to be an advantage on the street. (definitely bad in traffic). Many top end bikes these days have a hydraulic clutch. There are people who still say clipon handle bars don't give you the "feel" you need. and radial calipers are a fad. They may very well be correct but it is all about whatYOU like.

I guess what I am saying is.. don't do it just because someone else thinks it is better.

·
It's 5:00 somewhere.....
1,614 Posts
My biggest reason for wanting this mod is to get rid of the fear of being stranded by the slave cylinder. Just not sure if the fear is justified enough to go through with it. No leaks at all yet on my N. Just wondering if I would hate the clutch pull riding it in traffic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess what I am saying is.. don't do it just because someone else thinks it is better.

The problem is that I have only ridden the SV with the hydraulic so I don't really know which one I might like better. In my last get-off I damaged my clutch reservoir and it now leaks a little bit...so I'm going to have to replace it with either another hydraulic one or a cable one. I'm still trying to decide which one would make the most sense.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
My biggest reason for wanting this mod is to get rid of the fear of being stranded by the slave cylinder. Just not sure if the fear is justified enough to go through with it. No leaks at all yet on my N. Just wondering if I would hate the clutch pull riding it in traffic.
even the clutch on a 06 R6 is (relatively) difficult to pull all day. it is nice not having to rub the underside of forearms on the edge of the bar at the end of the day. I would rather just switch to the sv 05 slave now and not worry about it. or the 08 DL1000 both have updated slave cylinders with dust guards.

Plus... it is not like cables never brake and leave you stranded.

·
It's 5:00 somewhere.....
1,614 Posts
even the clutch on a 06 R6 is (relatively) difficult to pull all day. it is nice not having to rub the underside of forearms on the edge of the bar at the end of the day. I would rather just switch to the sv 05 slave now and not worry about it. or the 08 DL1000 both have updated slave cylinders with dust guards.

Plus... it is not like cables never brake and leave you stranded.
All valid points. One of the reasons I guess I am going to wait.

Oh, received the fender but have not had time to install. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
All valid points. One of the reasons I guess I am going to wait.

Oh, received the fender but have not had time to install. Thanks.
oh good. I miss that fender. all my other carbon fiber parts have yellowed and look like crap.. that fender looks as good as the day I bought it. It was made with the the real epoxy and was actually lighter than stock. I loved the way if flexed and never spider cracked like my stupid brown POS pyramid hugger that cost 50$ more.

·
Crazy Old Foole
7,329 Posts
Apparently you've never been stranded by a broken clutch cable :rofl:

Seriously though, a clutch actuation failure won't leave you stranded, just makes them harder ride is all :)
A clutch cable failure won't strand you either, if you have an electric start and know what you're doing.:killingme

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Apparently you've never been stranded by a broken clutch cable :rofl:

Seriously though, a clutch actuation failure won't leave you stranded, just makes them harder ride is all :)
I was going to make the same reply. You beat me to it. No matter what you have, there's always the potential for something to break. That's why it's a good idea to regularly inspect your bike and do preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a clutch cable break on my 1973 750 Triumph when I was about 60 miles from home. That bike only has kick start and we were riding 2-up. We made it home just fine but it sure was an interesting adventure. The wife hated that bike after that... :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Wiring.

You can piece the kit together your self.

Clutch actuator from SV650 or TL1000S
TLS clutch cable for sure or SV650S cable I think also
TLS or 04-05 GSX-R clutch perch and cable I am sure there are others but I know these work for sure.
Just cut the clutch push rod down a bit also.

Look on ebay, I have converted several bikes and love it. Buy a new cable and you can often get the other pieces used for less than $30 total. Puts conversion about $45

-MS

Great post guys. Thanks.
I have 2 small questions.
How does the wiring for the clutch switch work if I put the sv650 one in the 1000.
And how about the speed sensor. That fits into the sproket cover right. Do you retain the 1000's cover with the 650 actuator in it ?

·
BANNED!!!!
3,473 Posts
How does the wiring for the clutch switch work if I put the sv650 one in the 1000.
Just plug it into the new perch.

And how about the speed sensor. That fits into the sproket cover right. Do you retain the 1000's cover with the 650 actuator in it ?
Yep, retain the 1000 cover. Strictly speaking you can mount the actuator without any cover at all.

·
Registered
360 Posts
On its way.

Its all on its way. Hopefully the SV650 lever is same as 89-95 katana lever even though part numbers are not the saem, hopefully they are very close. If not, I'll buy the sv650 lever.
Just not the lever, all for 50 shipped off fleabay

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.