SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a down, my SVS was not that bad I had some fairing damage, on the front end. The headlights, and blinkers worked, but my speedo is dead, I bought another, and it didn’t work, I’m good at putting things back together but I’m stumped here, I looked for blown fuse but didn’t see any. Any one have any ideas to what the issue could be?

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I had a down, my SVS was not that bad I had some fairing damage, on the front end. The headlights, and blinkers worked, but my speedo is dead, I bought another, and it didn’t work, I’m good at putting things back together but I’m stumped here, I looked for blown fuse but didn’t see any. Any one have any ideas to what the issue could be?
Could there be any damaged wires or plugs in the front?
If the speedo is completely blank and no backlight my best guess would to look for a wire which got positive lead when key is in the on position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could there be any damaged wires or plugs in the front?
If the speedo is completely blank and no backlight my best guess would to look for a wire which got positive lead when key is in the on position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I checked my entire harness can’t find a break, and the leads don’t look burnt

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah I checked my entire harness can’t find a break, and the leads don’t look burnt
Bring out the wiring diagram from the shop manual and a multimeter. Look for the easy ones first, positive, ignition and negative. If everything is good and you are getting backlight on your speedo, start measuring wires from one end to the other (from speedo plug to the whatever plug is in the other end. It will probably different plugs for different wires). It will take time but at some point you will find out what's wrong.
If doubt about any of the fuses, just replace all of them. I'm not 100% sure, but off my mind it might be a 10A fuse for the speedo.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,419 Posts
Is there ANY power at the instrument cluster at all? As in, does the instrument back light work, do the indicator and / or the warnign lights work ? Anything at all ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there ANY power at the instrument cluster at all? As in, does the instrument back light work, do the indicator and / or the warnign lights work ? Anything at all ?
No back light on the speedo, but blinkers work, horn, hazard/warning lights, basically electrical part of the bike is fine, though I have noticed when I engage the brakes the brake lights aren’t going on but the tail light and blinkers are, which is making me think it’s fuse related.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,419 Posts
No back light on the speedo, but blinkers work, horn, hazard/warning lights, basically electrical part of the bike is fine, though I have noticed when I engage the brakes the brake lights aren’t going on but the tail light and blinkers are, which is making me think it’s fuse related.
So the speedo is totally dead...nothing working at all.....

If you cant find a fuse issue.......
See if you an free the ECU from its position, then, on the plug, there is a release tab, which will allow the individual wires to be pulled out.....pull each wire out one by one and reinsert them, then lock it up again.......just in case one has been dislodged.....also, maybe after that, disconnect the battery for 5 minsa and then hook it up again...... anythings worth a try

Reactions: Dhan87

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does indicators for high beam and blinkers work in the speedo? If not it would be a a safe bet to measure the ground wire in the speedo plug.
Also did you check for a positive with the ignition turned on? Completely dead without backlight could also be because of that.

If you don't have multimeter then grab some wiring and a 12v bulb - it will indicate when you have closed the circuit and electricity is flowing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts