SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Mile eater
2,791 Posts
Yes, they're off.
I used a GPS and found mine to be about 9% off. I put a smaller (16t) front sprocket on and now it's worse. I ordered a Yellow box (discussed on another post) and it should be here next week.
John
:beer:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is it over or under?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If this bike is half as reliable as my SV650S was, and this is the only big problem. I will be fine with it. Mine indicates 70 actual about 60, indicates 80 actual about 65ish. Mine is a littlmore than 10%.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I figure mine is off by about 10%, 77 indicated approximately 70 actual. I understand the manufacturers are given a +/- allowance, but I haven't seen anyone who has an accurate gauge, much less on the negative side of the tolerance. Does anyone have an email address for US Suzuki so I can vent?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know bike speedos are not the best but I compared mine to a Honda (CBR 900), BMW (no idea) and a Kawasaki (Ninja). Had friends of mine stay at 85 on their speedos while I followed, had the same reading as their bikes. I don't think this is just an SV thing, I'm thinking its a much bigger conspiracy forced upon the bike manufacturers of the world by the UN.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was just comparing the readings between the different bikes, to see if mine was reading the same as theirs. It wasn't very scientific at all. Since we had previous post about the speedo being off I just asked them to set their speed at 85 and give me a thumbs up. All bikes were reading the same speed. No slide rules or satellites were involved in the test and after the thumbs up we went back to having fun (w00t). I chose 85 because the previous posts said the readings were more dramatic at higher speeds. I didn't test it any more or at any other speeds.

·
Mile eater
2,791 Posts
I'm not being anal about it but I didn't expect something so modern to be so inaccurate. As I mentioned, it's even further off with the 16t countershaft sprocket. It's no problem on trips because I clip on my GPS but wouldn't it be nice if the speedo was close?

John

·
Conspiracy specalist
1,451 Posts
No manufacturer is going to spend what's needed to calibrate speedo's. They will always err on the safe(neg)side because of the legal remifications involved with people getting done for speeding etc................

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
435 Posts
I stayed side by side with a buddy in his car to verify speedo error. I agree with you John regarding modern bike technology and it's inability to accurately measure something as simplistic as miles per hour.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Simple answer here, I don't use the speedo, just the force! The only time i glance at it is when I know I am approaching the fixed speed detectors on my routes to and from work!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Logic sez there must be a "conspiracy" - it's my understanding that the SV speedo works out how fast the bike is going by factoring the engine revs, the overall ratio of the gear that the bike's in, and the wheel size. They're all pretty constant (allowing for a variation in wheel size caused by tyre wear), so it should be possible to make the speedo bang on.

The source of the problem was identified elsewhere a while back in that the rev counter is about 10% out, therefore the speedo (and odo) are commensurately out.

Why did Suzuki program the rev counter 10% optomistic ?
Can we re-program the black box to correct the 10% error ?

Curiously
Flange

·
Mile eater
2,791 Posts
Flange,
You're close, but no ceegar. The speedo pickup is taken off of the front sprocket, so it doesn't know what gear you're in. It's sort of how cars used to be in the old days when they had speedo cables that connected to the output shaft of the gear box. If you change the gear ratio(sprockets) or rear tire size, you throw off the calibration.

I also have heard the the tachometer (rev counter) is also off. My dyno guy showed me that at 10k rpm, my tach was reading 11K. No big deal with the tach but I sure like to have a close idea about how fast I'm going. Around here, you never know when the radar gun is pointing at you. They even use airplane spotters to catch speeders.

John

:beer:

1 - 20 of 143 Posts