SV Portal Forums banner
121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
55,500 miles and counting
19,843 Posts
The car will be 2-4% out so your bike will be way out.

I have 17/42 gearing and 7000 = 100 true mph. speedo says somewhere like 115 -120.

Borrow a sat nav, sit at a steady high speed, like 100 mph, se what your revs are then when you get home work out what 1000 rpm is, then put a little sticker at 40, 60, 70, 100, 150 mph on the rev counter.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
My dads truck (Toyota) and our car (Saab) are about 2.5%. I would tend to believe a car speedo much more than a bike in general.
KIA Sorento that my brother had for a couple of years was dead on all the way to the top speed, where it was reading 2 km/h lower then GPS... ;)

My Subaru typically reads about 8-10% high (depending on the wheels/tires combination used) and my brother's current Renault reads about 5 km/h high.

Nowadays most smart phones have GPS built-in, so I always check the speedo on any vehicle I get to use - god forbid I ever drive slower then allowed / possible. :cool2:

D.

BTW, according to Aprilia fans their bikes have a very accurate speedometers. Apparently the pick-up is located at the rear wheel which eliminates gearing-imposed errors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just crunched the numbers you have posted here. I see as high as 19.6% and as low as 15.4% difference when using the car speed as the reference. If you average these out I get 17.6%. So a couple of things here. Either something is pretty messed up on your bike or the gearing has been changed. If you subtract out the about 8.5% or so that a stone stock bike would show that leaves you with 9.1%. So now take a look at a gearing chart and look for a common sizing that would give about 9% difference from stock. 16/41 is 8.9%. So when using your average number from your data above I would guess your gearing has been changed to 16/41. If you use the highest value from your data above your gearing linesup with 16/42 and if you use the lowest value you are pretty dang close to 16/40

What is your gearing? Have I guessed correctly?

-MS
Bought the bike as a 07 leftover w/0 miles March 30th 2011. I just done a 550 mile maintenance yesterday. She now has 640miles as of this evening. My wife's 08 Saturn Aura XE is off of our Magellan GPS by less than 1mph under, my 07 Chevy Impala is about 1.5mph under, both cars at 75mph.

I believe the stock is 17/40 which is 2.35. I didn't even think to look at the sprocket because I see no reason for the dealer to change the sprockets. We coordinated the speeds I would run and her beside me, I would point down with my left hand as my daughter watched and relayed to my wife, my wife would call out the numbers on her indicator and daughter wrote my wifes speed down, next to the coordinated speed list that I was testing. We used her car because the Magellan was more accurate to her indicator. I was getting 56mpg when riding steady, aggressive 44mpg, which seems like stock sprocket setup.

I will do a sprocket tooth count and re-run the speed tests. I wish I had a radar gun though.

Edit: I went thru a town today that had a permanent radar sign. I purposely ran 30mph, it posted 26 flashing. That is 15% difference. Sprocket counts are 17/40,which is stock.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I just ran my K7 on a highway with mile markers....and it showed 20.6 miles in 20 for a 3% error. Pretty close, but the speedo IS way off....like close to 10%. Need to go back and run the stop-watch over the mile or three to see just how far it is off.

This is reminiscent of my SVT Focus which has its' speedo 5mph off at 60. But, if you put the dash readout into Diagnostic Mode, it will show digital speed...which is damn close. The car does know how fast it is going, it just wants you to think it is going faster. Not real happy with the manufacturers playing head games with us....

Edit: Just came back from a run with an 18T front sprocket installed. Love it! Odometer is now 2.5% fast, while the speedo is within a mph or two at normal limit speeds. Was wondering how the motor would deal with the taller ratio....Hah! It laughed at it and pulls just the same. Actually easier to ride smoothly now, of course a little of that would be the work just done synching the throttles...which were just a tad off. VERY nice to be able to believe the speedo now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So i set my speedodr from 12oclocklabs to 6% reduction from stock that sound about right? Only reason i got one is because it can convert kph to mph. My cluster lacks that feature for some reason. So is -6% a good start?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
That should get you pretty close. You'll likely be a little fast still...but not by more than a mile or two at most regulated speeds. The odometer will likely be reading a little slower than actual, but if you check you can make the calculations to get the right mileage.

I don't think you can actually get both speedo and odo to read correctly. If you get the speedo spot on, the odo will be 4% or so slow...or so my bike was. The K3 might be a little different but you won't know until you play with it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well as i said my cluster reads all metric, so im not so concerned about the odometer. Im going based on what most of these posts say which is roughly 7% so i figured if i reduced by 6% id be pretty darn close. Thats all that matters to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here in SouthAus

Not too sure about my SV, cant hold me iPhone and hang on at same time but I do know that newer cars speedos are all reading slow. On a trip in the mighty Navara the other day, set the cruise at 110kph by the Tom Tom gps, the speedo was indicating 119kph and drove past a copper with a laser gun, he didnt even flinch. We've nearly achieved "zero tolerance" here.
We were passing lots of other vehicles sitting on their "110"
Yes its a government conspiracy, they seem hell bent on slowing drivers / bikers down to cut the road toll rather than on driver and rider training and education.
I am not young and I do like to feel the noise still.

·
"Kiss my Ass"
13,712 Posts
Not too sure about my SV, cant hold me iPhone and hang on at same time but I do know that newer cars speedos are all reading slow. On a trip in the mighty Navara the other day, set the cruise at 110kph by the Tom Tom gps, the speedo was indicating 119kph and drove past a copper with a laser gun, he didnt even flinch. We've nearly achieved "zero tolerance" here.
We were passing lots of other vehicles sitting on their "110"
Yes its a government conspiracy, they seem hell bent on slowing drivers / bikers down to cut the road toll rather than on driver and rider training and education.
I am not young and I do like to feel the noise still.
The SV normally runs about 10% fast on the speedo with standard gearing.

Ps, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just want to share with everyone an easy way for me to calculate error in my speedo.

All you have to do is turn on the gps on your phone and download a gps speedo app that records max speed. Then turn it on, put it in your pocket, and go on the freeway for one on ramp and drive up to any mph exactly for example 65mph. Dont get any faster then that, then get off the freeway. Check your gps and see what max speed is recorded. Walla easy peasey.

You take the (gps speed / speedo speed) * 100 - 100 = Percent Error

I did this to calculate my error of -12.5 %. I rode up to 80 mph and did not go above it, my gps read 70mph. I installed the Speedo DRD and programmed it both took about 5 min. And now my speedo is accurate according to my gps and the police radar mph signs on my block :).

Just thought i would share since i was under the impression i would have to buy an expensive sat nav or phone mount or what ever to find out my exact error is but it is not necessary.

·
Registered
107 Posts
whats a speedo? oh yeah that thing that always reads 153 mph not sure if mine is off at that speed but i know mine seems to be on the dot with the speed detector sign. when it says im doing 45 so does my speedometer. im hoping that my gauge is accurate at that top speed cause i outran a CHP officer on the bike with it locked at 153mph for about 8 minutes. im sure i lost him far before that but i just stay full throttle and head buried behind the windscreen.

me <3 boobies

·
Registered
15 Posts
Glad to know the speedo error is "normal". I have my GPS mounted on the bike and I was thinking the previous owner had changed the sproket.

<sigh> I've always said bikes and cars must be female, otherwise us guys wouldn't spend so much $ and time on (and in) them and now I know they lie to us just like women do. JK ladies LOL

·
Mmmm Kate
7,557 Posts
Glad to know the speedo error is "normal". I have my GPS mounted on the bike and I was thinking the previous owner had changed the sprocket.
My speedo reads 85mph for a GPS speed of 80mph.

·
Moving at the speed of...
4,539 Posts
Glad to know the speedo error is "normal". I have my GPS mounted on the bike and I was thinking the previous owner had changed the sproket.

<sigh> I've always said bikes and cars must be female, otherwise us guys wouldn't spend so much $ and time on (and in) them and now I know they lie to us just like women do. JK ladies LOL
On just about every Japanese bike I have ridden/owned the speedo is between 5 and 10% optimistic, and some of the cars too. It is only with the advent of GPS that more people noticed.

·
Registered
SV1000S 2007
90 Posts
GPS Error

Hey Guys, who says your GPS is correct?
I live at 1600m ABSL and there is quite a difference between indicated speeds on the GPS up here compared to when I'm down at the coast.
5kph less at altitude than at sea level @120kph so it's easier to get a ticket at altitude.

·
Registered
SV1000S 2007
90 Posts
I think all motor cycle speedos exaggerate to give their owners bragging rights. My SV1K is no exception and if you buy one secondhand there is a good chance someone has fiddled with the sprocket sizes.
A friend was claiming his GXR1000R could do well over 300kph so I slipped a GPS in his pocket as he set off to prove his worth up a particularly long section of straight road. He was all smiles claiming 315kph until I retrieved the GPS and found he had been doing 285kph. Still far too much but his bubble was burst and he lost interest in trying such things again.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,599 Posts
It has been a while since i checked my bike, but, several times over the years, i was able to pass a set of highway distance markers specifically setup for speedo checking purposes.....
According to them, set at 1 km intervals for 5km's it was out by probably 100 metres.....on the safe side.......

121 - 140 of 143 Posts