SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the forum so please be gentle. I have an 03 sv 1000 s and my speedo stopped working. The back light still works and so does the neutral light but the tach, speedo, and other lights dont. Turn sigs arr fine also. Spedo cable and sensor look to be ok also. Any help would be great

·
Mmmm Kate
7,557 Posts
Im new to the forum so please be gentle. I have an 03 sv 1000 s and my speed'o stopped working. The back light still works and so does the neutral light but the tach, speedo, and other lights dont. Turn sigs arr fine also. Speedo cable and sensor look to be ok also. Any help would be great
:welcome: :)

The SV1000 doesn't have a speedo cable. I take it you've taken the sprocket cover off and checked everything there?

·
Negative Relentless
528 Posts
Im new to the forum so please be gentle. I have an 03 sv 1000 s and my speedo stopped working. The back light still works and so does the neutral light but the tach, speedo, and other lights dont. Turn sigs arr fine also. Spedo cable and sensor look to be ok also. Any help would be great
Could be the speed sensor is loose:
Closer look at the speed sensor
How to avoid a shattered sprocket cover due to loose speed sensor

see also:
HELP!!! My speedo quit working
My Speedo tells lies
Speedometer, Is this normal?
crazy speedo
speedometer error
Speedo accuracy, What it says, and what your actually doing.

Welcome buddy,

Don't know if any of these links will help but mull over them with a LARGE cup of coffee an see if you can find something that might help narrow down the issue.

Thanks for Bish, for the original links BTW. . .

Steve,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. Does anyone know if the speed sens. Will cause the gauge to be blank but still back lit

·
Negative Relentless
528 Posts
Yes if the speedo sensor cable has packed in or the nut on the sprocket has come loose some how. . . have you tried to disconnect / re-connect the speedo sensor cable?

Edit: also check fuses if u havent already done so. . .

Steve,

·
Mile eater
2,793 Posts
I would think that there would still be segments showing even if the sensor was disconnected. Try disconnecting all connections to the instrument head and reconnecting one at a time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
check ALL of your fuses ... the various parts of the instrument cluster are powered via at least 2 sources

·
Moving at the speed of...
4,539 Posts
check ALL of your fuses ... the various parts of the instrument cluster are powered via at least 2 sources
And Bozo is the Guru of the electrics/electronics on the SV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, I have exactly the same problem. Did you fixed the problem? New speedometer or something else?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I'm trying to remember but I think there were some instrument clusters where the circuit board inside broke right at the plug in the back. If you take the cluster apart you might be able to find it...right at the plug IIRC. I can't recall if this is a fixable thing, but you might be able to solder in repairs and glue the board back....or at worst you'll need another cluster which are around on Ebay and the like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Instrument panels SV650 and SV1000 are interchangeable after 2003. The only difference is the internal software, which is easy to replace. So get any available one and reflash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts