SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i took deliver of my brand new 58 plate suxuki sv1000 classic, i started it for the first time and it would not turn off!!

the starter motor was stuck on and did not even stop when i took the key out.. i had to disconnect the batterie and allsorts in the rain!! nice.!!

it has now been sent back under warrenty...has anyone else suffered trhis horrible problem??

manny thanks tom

·
More fun than
1,060 Posts
i have only been around less than a year, but this is the first i have heard of it. sounds like it could be a stuck relay. hopeful for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ouch, I too have never heard of this problem. However I did experiance it once with a 98 Toyota 4runner ended up out 500$ to have a new one installed. Atleast the warranty is taking care of it for you :)

·
55,500 miles and counting
19,843 Posts
Thats just very bad luck, never heard of this in 5 years on the site.

Stick with it, the SV is a superb bike overall, 5 years and 33,000 miles later and there still isn't anything else that I'd change it for.

Pete

·
I've seen bigger...
3,542 Posts
there's always a lemon somewhere in the world. Glad it's new and you can get it repaired at no charge.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Editing in progress....

The "starter motor stuck on" thing happened to me today.

I already had my helmet and ear plugs in when I started the bike. All seemed normal except for this extra sound which through the ear plugs didn't seem bad or anything, but after about half a mile it was still there and I thought I'd better stop and investigate. I set it on the side stand, idling in neutral, took off my helmet and ear plugs and sure enough a very unnatural noise was coming from the lower part of the engine.

I immediately turned the ignition off and it was then that i heard the familiar sound of the starter still turning pitifully for about a second on the last gasps of battery juice before everything stopped.

I pushed it home and started looking into it. The battery was almost too hot to hold, the outer case swollen on both ends, and I am assuming that the noise I was hearing was the starter running the whole time I was riding and high current was flowing constantly through the battery and toasted it, literally.

Looking at the starter system diagram on page 7-12 of the manual it looks like the only way the starter can run continuously is if the relay sticks closed, or, multiple parts of the regular starter circuitry fail concurrently in some kind of electron conspiracy (which just doesn't seem

·
Registered
36 Posts
Editing in progress....

The "starter motor stuck on" thing happened to me today.

I already had my helmet and ear plugs in when I started the bike. All seemed normal except for this extra sound which through the ear plugs didn't seem bad or anything, but after about half a mile it was still there and I thought I'd better stop and investigate. I set it on the side stand, idling in neutral, took off my helmet and ear plugs and sure enough a very unnatural noise was coming from the lower part of the engine.

I immediately turned the ignition off and it was then that i heard the familiar sound of the starter still turning pitifully for about a second on the last gasps of battery juice before everything stopped.

I pushed it home and started looking into it. The battery was almost too hot to hold, the outer case swollen on both ends, and I am assuming that the noise I was hearing was the starter running the whole time I was riding and high current was flowing constantly through the battery and toasted it, literally.

Looking at the starter system diagram on page 7-12 of the manual it looks like the only way the starter can run continuously is if the relay sticks closed, or, multiple parts of the regular starter circuitry fail concurrently in some kind of electron conspiracy (which just doesn't seem
For some reason there was no edit option so, to continue...

..... doesn't seem realistic).

Of course when I tested the relay it behaved normally, and now the bike starts normally also (on a different battery).

So here are two questions for those who may have more insight into this than me...
1) Am I correct to be suspecting the relay and only the relay?
2) Would having the starter motor running for 5 minutes while the engine is also running cause damage to anything (it all sounds normal)

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
Thats sucks......
I wonder, if the engine is driving the starter, and it would be spinning the starter faster than it would normally run,if it is possible that it is supplying a charge backwards
and overloaded the battery, causing it to overheat and swell (gladly it didn't burn).....as running the starter for ten minutes or so is only going to draing the
battery out, the charging system wouldn't be able to keep up ......

Also, the EDIT option, is in the three little dots in the top right corner of your post

·
Registered
36 Posts
Took the starter relay apart today. This is what the main contacts looked like. Convincing evidence of welding together.

Brown Wood Metal Fashion accessory Copper

My theory is that a worn contact was getting a few small contact points rather than a large area of contact and the resulting heat temporarily fuse the contacts together.

It doesn't seem like this problem happens very often, but if it does you have to get the seat off, get your tools out and disconnect the battery. Good luck doing that before your battery is damaged.

late model gsx-r600, gsx-r750, dl650 and dl1000 all use the same relay to this day and they are cheap on ebay, so it is an easy maintenance item for those inclined.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
Good to see you found the problem......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts