SV Portal Forums banner

Stator/charging issue....?

16K views 52 replies 14 participants last post by  Pantera93 
#1 ·
Backround...bike fine...did s.s.t.r.e. mod. Noticed starting was getting slow, didn't think it was anything to do with tre, bought battery, took tre out just in case to see what would happen, checked, per manual, the r/r and that ohm'd out correctly. Now, went to generator/3 yellow wire, and only have the voltage on 1 of the 3. Getting no charging at battery terminals. edit: also put 16t sprocket on recently, but did not pinch any wires or anything like that.(fyi)

Good thing, bought extended warrantee, should be covered, bad is I think stator is shot.? Thought about busting cover off...that's about the only thing I did not do.

Suggestions, or just take it in?

:blank::wallbash:

#2 ·
You have to ohm out the stator windings also to verify it's bad. Sounds like it's burnt/open if you only had one phase with output. Doesn't seem to happen very often though. About as often as the magnets coming loose on the rotor. May have to check that too.

#3 ·
That's the test in the coil resistance test on page 7-10 in the electrical part of the manual right? Did it, was good.

Another question...there is not a safety type charging cut off like on a car on these is there? Cuz my buddy is saying that the battery wasn't charged right and maybe that's what is going on. I didn't think they were set up like that, and was sure the battery was fully charged. Didn't let it sit very long after charging and filling though. :whistle:Bought a wallyworld ES14BS. That's probly the root of my problem to begin with! Shoulda just went to interstate and spent the extra $!

If I remember correctly, the night I put the new battery in, I checked quick to see if it was charging...shot up past 13.0v and figured all was good. Saturday night that was. Then on Monday when I rode to work...am was fine, pm on way home, started slow, then completely died when I pulled clutch in about half way home. Walked home, trailored bike back, charged battery, was at like 10v or less if I recall, then started fine and all, but has not been charging since. Charged battery again, has been about 12.6v which I'm not very happy with.

#4 ·
Let battery sit on Tender over nite. Was just reading 13.2v started bike, shot up to 17-18v the down to 12.6v and not charging. Really sounds like R/R but........? I don't like the fact that I am only getting the reading on 1 pin of the yellow wires from generator. Wish R/R's weren't $100 would grab 1 of them to try.

#5 ·
On the stator you have 3 wires as you mention. You need to test them in the following way

Check resistance between wires
1 and 2
2 and 3
1 and 3

Are they all between 0.2 and 0.7 ohms?

Then check resistance from
1 to ground
2 to ground
3 to ground

Are they all open to ground?

I am betting some of these values come out bad if you are only seeing an AC signal on one lead. I am assuming your meter is set correctly to AC rms values when performing the running engine test? If the above tests fail, the stator is bad, or the wiring has been damaged leading to the windings.

If the stator passes the resistance tests but fails the AC output test, I would start suspecting rotor magnets. Take the cover off and inspect, it is pretty obvious when they come loose.

-MS

#15 ·
Magnets coming loose on the rotor is probably the worst case scenario $$$ wise. Unless you can get a used one on the internet. You can get a rotor pulling tool from motion pro cheap. Just a bit worse than the stator. Did the stator survive?

Did a magnet shatter into pieces into the motor?

Looks like the extended warranty will work in your favor in this case. Unless the bastards find a way to weasel out of it.

#25 ·
Quicky update,
Not heard much from dealer as of yet. A week and a half ago they told me they have submitted the warrantee claim and were awaiting the green light to order the parts. Said that would be another week or so to get parts then them putting back together.:( So yay a waiting game.

Plus side, 1 buddy that I work with has 2 bikes, a 2002 I beleive GSXR1000 that he rides, and the 2004 CBR1000RR that he doesn't that much because of the ergoes and it's for some reason very herky jerky. Long story...was crashed pretty good by another co-worker, and this guy bought it and had the mechanic at work put it back together...rim rotors...fairings...mostly cosmetic, and he has only put maybe 1000 miles on it since then, when I got it from him ruffly a week ago had 4100...has 4600+ on it now...been ridin the shit outta it:) Is a great motor...gotta figure out why it is so herky jerky at slower speeds, other than that it is fun but WAY more uncomfy than the SV. One thing I will say is that it likes to RIP! And it hauls! May get into TPS and clean the shit outta it n see if that helps the lower speed small throttle opening jerkyness, other than that has Dunlop GP-A's on it(Sticky as HELL) race take-offs...have a local Dunlop guy for AMA down here that hooks us up from time to time. Very much confidence inspiring! Really like them! 190/55 rear is excellant. Have pushed it pretty good on street, nothin crazy, but no sqwiggles what-so-ever. Highly recommened if you don't mind replacing often.:)
Would LOVE to ride a 2008+ CBR1000RR to see how that is, but the Honda Hump on the tank is the biggest downside of this bike. Handles great and is awesome of him to let me flog it whilst mine is down. 200 mile day on it today and I can still move so it isn't that bad I guess. Enuff ramblin...nother update when I hear from dealer.:( Diggin the I-4..............

#34 ·
Everyone with failed rotor magnets needs to post it. Perhaps one of us or an Admin can start a thread and sticky it. Everyone with a failed rotor can post and say what year bike they had it fail on, how many miles, and what type of oil they used.

If we could get this in one thread and somewhat organised we might be able to get somewhere if Randy is still willing to represent us.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to post this idea on the SV Riders forum and/or any other SV forums you guys might know about.

.................................Blake

#40 ·
Well folks, the stator has to be replace and on track to doing this however i find that having a bad stator does decrease power.

Ill explain, i maybe wrong if so please correct. I figured that i would be ok on the track due to having two batteries and a damn good charger. However i noticed that when i would accelerate heavy i was losing power and could not understand why until i unplugged the regulator then it wouldnt happen then. Weird.

#42 ·
Oh, back to my bike quick.
Got flywheel Monday. Figuring I would be able to find a bolt to use as a puller at a hardware store...no such luck! So bike is/has been in livingroom apart. Trying everywhere I know to find a puller. Finally just said screw it, bought 1 off E-Bay, is in Miami, so hoping I can go pick it up tomorrow instead of waiting for it to ship 2-4 days! Waiting to hear back from seller now. What a headache! Have my mechanic buddy checking tomorrow too if he has right 1 in his shop. Hopefully he will, or I will be cruzin' to Miami with my ladies tomorrow. Took off work...:D
Asked a few shops around here and they want me to bring bike there...shit is in pieces in livingroom...and I am not paying someone for a 30 second job.
Gonna keep flywheel that is coming off too, just in case it happens again I will be doing the JB Weld thing, not paying $280 again!

#43 ·
Do not use a cheap puller. It will strip out and get stuck and mangle threads. My puller is an OEM one and it is super hard and can take a beating from an air impact if needed. Softer pullers fail frequently, I have seen it dozens of times. You might be OK if it has been off recently though. It is often the first time off from the factory that is a real issue. Make to correctly torque it. I am convinced that one of the fails I have repaired might be related to a rotor that was under torqued. Maybe not though.
Cheers
-MS

#53 ·
Awesome! I was thinking dammit, I should have checked before putting the generator cover back on. But this can be done with the cover on so thats great. The stator itself looked brand new so I'm hoping it was just the magnets as the issue. Haven't had any time this week yet...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.