SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has doen either with the sv1000, whats are the links for these kits, how has the bke performed after the instalation.

·
She shoots, what a !!!!!
8,412 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has doen either with the sv1000, whats are the links for these kits, how has the bke performed after the instalation.
PM Nigel, I believe he jujst had some work done to his a while back....

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,140 Posts
I have built a couple of big bore motors, but never a stroker. I personally think stroking might not be the way to go if you are going to run the piss out of it.

The big bore motors can rip if you do them right, but just a stock bore higher compression pistons and cams can make a huge difference.

-MS

·
Knowledge is Horsepower
3,259 Posts
How far can you take out the SV cylinders? They have to be re-plated also.

You have to move the crankpin on strokers don't you? Seems like getting TLR size valves and cams is the way to get more top end HP numbers.

www.spearsenterprises.com has some of the stuff.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I think Nigel is running 14.5 to 1 compression so prem. fuel is a must but for like 142 HP at the wheel, a more than fair trade off.

·
Back to standard...
1,583 Posts
I run 13.1 to 1 on a big bore 1050. 131 bhp on the wheel. Do you want a shorter stroke for more revs? James Holland who built my motor told me that he could easily raise the rev ceiling to 13000rpm and the thing would take it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think Nigel is running 14.5 to 1 compression so prem. fuel is a must but for like 142 HP at the wheel, a more than fair trade off.
Just premium at 14.5:1? Or a race mix level of octane?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx for this information I just finaly bought a new bike after being off for a few years thanx to the AF

I've seen tons of big bore kits for the lil bro (650) thought there might be something I'm missing with the 1000

I know strokers tend to be faster n high reving

·
Registered
498 Posts
thanx for this information I just finaly bought a new bike after being off for a few years thanx to the AF
I've seen tons of big bore kits for the lil bro (650) thought there might be something I'm missing with the 1000
I know strokers tend to be faster n high reving
No, strokers are lower revving but generally make more mid-range torque. A longer stroke means a higher piston speed. The higher piston speed becomes the limiting factor in engine RPM, meaning that if the piston speed was lower (in a stock-stroke motor but with bored out cylinders), it could rev higher and therefore make more peak power.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I drag race my bike, and am hoping to get the bike to run a little quicker... my competition up here is a Buell 1125r, that is getting his bike down to 10.41s 1/4 mile time.... and hitting 130 mph as well. What does it cost to get a bike bored out a little? I live in Fargo, soooo not too many shops around here.

·
Crazy Old Foole
7,329 Posts
Bore and stroke are 98x66. Where were you thinking of taking it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
sooooo, would only the bore with bigger pistons make more HP and torque? I was going to buy a new bike (currently 2005 SV 1K) but I really like the SV, (just wish she had a little more)...I don't want to spend $300 on a power comander and another $4-500 on a dyno...I'd rather spend my cash on something that I can feel the results from...what say you

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,140 Posts
sooooo, would only the bore with bigger pistons make more HP and torque? I was going to buy a new bike (currently 2005 SV 1K) but I really like the SV, (just wish she had a little more)...I don't want to spend $300 on a power comander and another $4-500 on a dyno...I'd rather spend my cash on something that I can feel the results from...what say you
If you do pony up and do a big bore, you better spend the money to get a PCIII and dyno time too. Even a stock piston engine, milled down makes a difference in mid range and top end. Wiseco TLR pistons milled down is really nice and easy to do. Then you can go cams or a big bore

It all depends on how much punch you want and how deep your pockets are. I actually just got the cylinders back from my machinist for board name "Leo" old bike http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34745&highlight=speed+double+triple . I have some Wiseco TLR pistons, and milled down cylinders ready to go. I have a set of cams we might try in it too, but I do not think he wants to spring that much more money.

-MS

·
BANNED!!!!
3,473 Posts
did cross my mind....just read that they are not too far off from what I have now...
The new RC8R is a real weapon with none of the problems from the first ones. Definitely go and take it for a spin. Be prepared to love or hate it though, there doesn't seem to be much grey area (a bit like the SV1k). Also worth looking a JonJames' turbo thread, it's pretty simple stuff and any of the import car tuning shops will be able to hook you up with what you need cheap.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you do pony up and do a big bore, you better spend the money to get a PCIII and dyno time too. Even a stock piston engine, milled down makes a difference in mid range and top end. Wiseco TLR pistons milled down is really nice and easy to do. Then you can go cams or a big bore

It all depends on how much punch you want and how deep your pockets are. I actually just got the cylinders back from my machinist for board name "Leo" old bike http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34745&highlight=speed+double+triple . I have some Wiseco TLR pistons, and milled down cylinders ready to go. I have a set of cams we might try in it too, but I do not think he wants to spring that much more money.

-MS
I agree that the PC3 and dyno would be needed....I just didn't want to spend the cash on ONLY those two things and get a couple of HP..My pockets aren't that deep but I was going to get a GSXR 1000 for the track (think it was only $3500- no title, and NOT street legal)...I was going to use that stash to fix up my SV...I've been talking to a local bike shop in Houston (the owner use to race SV's quite well) but doesn't really want to work on mine?!?! I'm running above the middle of the pack in an advanced track day so I'm not Stoner on a twin but I can hold my own...For some reason, people in Houston just don't want to mess with a twin unless it's a 650. I'm just doing some research on what my options are because I still need the bike to perform reliably on the street as I will still use it for a work commuter...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts