SV Portal Forums banner
301 - 320 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
SV for 17stones

thanks for the reply,17st is about 235 lbs as for the suspension ive spent every last penny on buying the bike.I'm trying to set it up with what ive got already thanks
You are certainly going to push the SV's stock supension, But here is where I would 'Start'.
I've had my 05 for over 3 years and finally go it down. I'm one of the 10st guys...maybe less.

Buy good tires>!
New Fork Oil
1) Set up the sring rate (Preload) so the bike squats about an inch front and rear. There are several articles on getting this setup correctly.
2) The Front fork adjustments, particularly the Top Rebound Damping Screw, affect how the the bike steers. The rate at which the steering turns with the lean of the bike. Turn the screw> IN for IN - OUT for OUT.
You want to try and match this with the lean of the bike to get as nuetral a feeling as possible.

3) The Rear shock affects how easily or not the bike will LEAN into a corner. The Top Compression Screw seems to have the most affect on LEAN. I rode for several years with this in to 1 turn out and as much as 3 turns out. 2-1/2 seems good for my skinny butt. I didn't feel any of difference above 3. If you weigh more, you can likely turn this in. Adjust this so the bike leans easily when entering a corner.

4) STABILITY: The bottom screws...Front and Rear need to be cranked in under one turn. I have both at 3/4 and seems to be stable at high speed. Much of the bike stability come from these settings. It also keeps the front from bottoming out under hard braking.

Be patient, Ride with a screw driver. Be observant when you ride. Make small adjustments as you get closer.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hey Longhair,
I have been offered an Ohlins rear shock for ridiculously cheap money off a '02 GSXR600. Length is 325 eye to eye. I know this isn't ideal length for the SV1000. Is it still workable and if so what suggestions of mods to make it sensible? Still running stock front end and will be for foreseeable future. I will be looking at going to the 1.0kg/mm front non-progressive springs as recommended. My weight is 250lbs not in riding gear. Any thoughts?

·
Crazy Old Foole
7,329 Posts
Hey Longhair,
I have been offered an Ohlins rear shock for ridiculously cheap money off a '02 GSXR600. Length is 325 eye to eye. I know this isn't ideal length for the SV1000. Is it still workable and if so what suggestions of mods to make it sensible? Still running stock front end and will be for foreseeable future. I will be looking at going to the 1.0kg/mm front non-progressive springs as recommended. My weight is 250lbs not in riding gear. Any thoughts?
It's a bit short @ 325. Are you sure that it is fixed and not adjustable? Do you have the #'s off the shock? How about the #'s off the spring?

In general, you're better off going a little longer, rather than a little shorter. But see if you can get the #'s so we can make a better determination.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's a bit short @ 325. Are you sure that it is fixed and not adjustable? Do you have the #'s off the shock? How about the #'s off the spring?

In general, you're better off going a little longer, rather than a little shorter. But see if you can get the #'s so we can make a better determination.
And how about mounting shorter dogbones to raise the rear end? Wouldn't this solve HQfiend's issue?

·
Registered
952 Posts

Thanks LH, I'll try and get numbers for the shock and spring. Problem is the unit is in different part of the country from me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Suspension Chart

Suspension settings - This subject crops up again and again so, as an aid to those like myself who are still not satisfied with their bikes setup, I'm going to put together an Excel Spreadsheet of all the 'recommended' settings I can lay my hands on which may help some of us find reasonable base settings to work from.

To make this work, in addition to all the settings already quoted from the various bike mags, I'll need as many people as possible to email me with their settings (especially if you are happy with your setup!). The idea is to have as much info as possible in just one place allowing easy comparisons and hopefully some trends may become evident.
How much help this will be to people I don't know, certainly more likely to be useful if as many of you as possible take part but at the very least it will make interesting reading!

It may help to see the 'Guidance' notes I've put together at:
Dead Link removed... Sorry folks...:crazy: http://www.wsm.inuk.com/sv1000/suspension.htm

Update: Go HERE for the above mentioned article and a couple of others that may help ;-)

Email AndyW
What is the link to your spreadsheet

·
Crazy Old Foole
7,329 Posts
What is the link to your spreadsheet
It's outdated and worthless. No one elses settings are of any use to you.

Set sag, and add damping as required. If you need "How-To" info, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy of "Suspension 101".

Personally, I wish that this thread went away, just so newbs don't get mis-lead by ill advice, most of which is antiquated, if not irrelevant, since the moment it was posted.

·
"Kiss my Ass"
13,704 Posts
It's outdated and worthless. No one elses settings are of any use to you.

Set sag, and add damping as required. If you need "How-To" info, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy of "Suspension 101".

Personally, I wish that this thread went away, just so newbs don't get mis-lead by ill advice, most of which is antiquated, if not irrelevant, since the moment it was posted.
Contact admin Longhair and request that it be removed/shortened or which ever would be best.

·
I've seen bigger...
3,544 Posts
quick question...

can I use the linkage already on the bike when I swap my rear shock out? or will I have to get new parts?

·
I've seen bigger...
3,544 Posts
it's a rebuilt GSXR shock. don't ask me which model, I have no idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problems

can anyone help me out. i have just tried to adjust my preload on my front forks, i backed them off to give me more travel but when i did so i lost moment. When i sit on the bike it should compress a bit and then return to normal when i get off. now when i sit the forks don't move. if i lift the bike up they will compress a couple of times and then loose movment again. any ideas? i have already returned them to were they were originally set but it still dose the same.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sticky forks

Hey,

It could be that you need to change your fork oil. Mine, at only 4k miles was horrible. It was a nasty, runny, grey looking stuff and the two side had different levels. If it hasn't been changed, I would look into getting this done right away.
As the stock forks have small apatures for the fluid to go through, I would stay with a lighter wieght...like 5. Buy the best stuff your bike shop has...there will only be a couple dollar difference anyway.

Adjusting your preload shouldn't change the stiction of the forks much.

I hope this helps a bit.

301 - 320 of 373 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.