SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was considering changing the thermostat on my sv 1000 that has covered 46,000 miles, the bike is 12 years old and still has the original thermostat. I was concerned about getting to the thermostat cover and think that I will have to remove the throttle bodies. I was also concerned that since the cover has not been open for so many years that it might be corroded together. Has any body on the portal completed this task? A guide to complete the tasks would be nice:). Thanks Jimmy

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,219 Posts
Hello, I was considering changing the thermostat on my sv 1000 that has covered 46,000 miles, the bike is 12 years old and still has the original thermostat. I was concerned about getting to the thermostat cover and think that I will have to remove the throttle bodies. I was also concerned that since the cover has not been open for so many years that it might be corroded together. Has any body on the portal completed this task? A guide to complete the tasks would be nice:). Thanks Jimmy
Why do you need to replace your thermostat, are you having issues with it?

It is far easier to remove throttle bodies and gain access through the top. If you have pulled out the air box and throttle bodies before it is actually not that bad of a job. The case halves for the thermostat should come right apart. I have only replaced one faulty thermostat in DL/SV1000 after working on so many different ones I can not remember. I service several bikes that are nearing or over 100K miles that have not had issues. I have had to split the the housings and replace the thermostat seals before though because of leaks. In a hand full of these cases the housing are not actually quite flat at the mating surfaces, so a surface plate lap with a couple different grits does the trick.

-MS

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
You can access the thermostat after removing the regulator rectifier. There is no need to remove the throttle bodies.

That being said, unless the bike is overheating or underheating there's no need to replace the thermostat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey all, I know this is an ancient post but I want to finally get new hoses & thought I may as well do the thermostat too. Original '03 thermostat. Its fine & all but its nearly 20 years old.
Do you guys recommend stock components or are there good/better aftermarket?
Thanks!

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,219 Posts
Hey all, I know this is an ancient post but I want to finally get new hoses & thought I may as well do the thermostat too. Original '03 thermostat. Its fine & all but its nearly 20 years old.
Do you guys recommend stock components or are there good/better aftermarket?
Thanks!
I typically use OEM ones for the ones I have replaced.

-MS

·
Registered
16 Posts
If it's time to change the thermostat, I recommend changing it to another one with an opening temperature of 80 degrees Celsius. This will facilitate the thermal regime of the engine, reduce oil consumption and prevent the generator rotor magnets from peeling off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it's time to change the thermostat, I recommend changing it to another one with an opening temperature of 80 degrees Celsius. This will facilitate the thermal regime of the engine, reduce oil consumption and prevent the generator rotor magnets from peeling off.
Ok sounds good, thanks! Have put it off too long. Will be riding season soon, we kinda have to take the summers off in Phoenix.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,219 Posts
Yea I'm not familiar with these Samco silicone hoses & then there are special hose clamps or something. Even though copper/orange hoses would probably look sick & all. Is there a brand of coolant you recommend?
I use the blue Honda long life stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts