SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sv1000 and it sat out in the big freeze in Oklahoma. I inherited it and found water in oil so drained it. Put oil in and started it runs great... But if you fill with water it runs into bottom end. I was thinking water pump or freeze plugs. I have oil and diesel fuel in it at the moment to clean it inside abit. Before I start pulling things apart. Would it still run good with those plugs popped?

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,208 Posts
I have a sv1000 and it sat out in the big freeze in Oklahoma. I inherited it and found water in oil so drained it. Put oil in and started it runs great... But if you fill with water it runs into bottom end. I was thinking water pump or freeze plugs. I have oil and diesel fuel in it at the moment to clean it inside abit. Before I start pulling things apart. Would it still run good with those plugs popped?
It should still run, but no cooling system so I would not run it unless you are just trying to briefly test it.

Make sure the engine is cleaned out though and I would definitely get it oil primed ASAP to purge water out of the rest of the oil ways.

-ms

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should still run, but no cooling system so I would not run it unless you are just trying to briefly test it.

Make sure the engine is cleaned out though and I would definitely get it oil primed ASAP to purge water out of the rest of the oil ways.

-ms
I drained it and put two quarts of oil and half a quarter of diesel fuel. I've started afew times and let run briefly, oil level glass is clean again. So I'd imagine the rest is to... I'm going to replace waterpump seal to, it's cheap. But I'm pretty sure it's the freeze plugs

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,208 Posts
I drained it and put two quarts of oil and half a quarter of diesel fuel. I've started afew times and let run briefly, oil level glass is clean again. So I'd imagine the rest is to... I'm going to replace waterpump seal to, it's cheap. But I'm pretty sure it's the freeze plugs
Why would you dilute your oil with diesel!!!

Wow, I hope you had correct oil pressure and you didn’t wipe out you rod and main bearings…

-ms

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why would you dilute your oil with diesel!!!

Wow, I hope you had correct oil pressure and you didn’t wipe out you rod and main bearings…

-ms
It's a old mechanic trick to clean inside of the motor lol... it won't hurt anything inside the motor and there's still oil in there. I'm not driving it around or running it more than a couple of minutes

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,208 Posts
That cleaned all that water oil residue from the motor. Then drain it and replace filter put new oil in the motor.
I don’t care if it is an old mechanics trick. I will never intentionally dilute oil with a solvent and then run the engine.

-ms

·
Registered
204 Posts
i agree... to run diesel mix with the engine oil would make me nervous...
dont always believe what you hear and see on youtube...anything can be posted there and autor of the youtube post wont throw any $ into your engine rebuilt

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,900 Posts
You can buy engine clean additives used justprior to dumping the oil, similar effect.....but, in reality, if you have had water in the sump, drain the hell out of it, dump a cup or so of fresh cheap oil in to
scavenge the last of it out, fill with said clean cheap oil, mineral is maybe the best, run until hot, operating the clutch lever a few times, and then dump and scavenge again....

Fill with your preferred oil and maybe do a short service cycle the next time....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i agree... to run diesel mix with the engine oil would make me nervous...
dont always believe what you hear and see on youtube...anything can be posted there and autor of the youtube post wont throw any $ into your engine rebuilt
I already knew about this, the video was looked up after for the other guy. Everything is fine and when it cools off here some. I'll pull the fairings, tank and radiator. Then the valve covers and fix the freeze plugs. Put it back together drain the crankcase. Fill with water and hope it doesn't run out the bottom end. If all is good I'll put oil drain plug back in and fill with oil. Then have some fun on this, keep the rubber side down
You can buy engine clean additives used justprior to dumping the oil, similar effect.....but, in reality, if you have had water in the sump, drain the hell out of it, dump a cup or so of fresh cheap oil in to
scavenge the last of it out, fill with said clean cheap oil, mineral is maybe the best, run until hot, operating the clutch lever a few times, and then dump and scavenge again....

Fill with your preferred oil and maybe do a short service cycle the next time....
It's clean inside

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I already knew about this, the video was looked up after for the other guy. Everything is fine and when it cools off here some. I'll pull the fairings, tank and radiator. Then the valve covers and fix the freeze plugs. Put it back together drain the crankcase. Fill with water and hope it doesn't run out the bottom end. If all is good I'll put oil drain plug back in and fill with oil. Then have some fun on this, keep the rubber side down

It's clean inside
First street bike I owned was a h1 triple and lived to tell the tale. Kenny Roberts lived down the road and had one to. I've been riding and fixing bikes for over 50 years. I was just wondering if the freeze plugs were the problem. I'm pretty sure now that is the problem. I used that mixture to clean the water out of the motor. Not to ride it around or run it for along time, just get the inside clean. I can actually see through the oil level glass again. I had this motor apart and fixed the transmission 2 years ago. As long as it's just the freeze plugs, all should be good. It starts right up and runs perfectly

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,900 Posts
Yeah, i never thought you would be loading her up....... i would love to see through my sight glass again... ha ha

1 - 20 of 29 Posts