SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find source of annoying oil leak. These two bolts pictured (bottom of motor front left) usually always have a drop of oil just waiting to soil my garage. This rookie has no clue. If I pull one of these will engine oil flow out? Not sure what the purpose of these bolts are. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
IMG_0536.jpg

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,113 Posts
Trying to find source of annoying oil leak. These two bolts pictured (bottom of motor front left) usually always have a drop of oil just waiting to soil my garage. This rookie has no clue. If I pull one of these will engine oil flow out? Not sure what the purpose of these bolts are. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. View attachment 117493 View attachment 117493
Those are block offs for the machining of the oil galley ways.

I would expect a leak from those unless they were loose for some reason. There is a crush washer on them to seal.

Clean the rest of the engine up really well and go ride it and look for a path that is likely above those bolts somewhere.

-ms

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,714 Posts

I would expect a leak from those unless they were loose for some reason. There is a crush washer on them to seal.

Clean the rest of the engine up really well and go ride it and look for a path that is likely above those bolts somewhere.

-ms
In addition to Mike's always excellent tips, take off the front sprocket cover and clean it and the area under it thoroughly with WD-40 and a toothbrush. Accumated chain lube can liquify at higher temps and drip down making it appear you have an oil leak somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

-ms
Thanks for taking the time. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In addition to Mike's always excellent tips, take off the front sprocket cover and clean it and the area under it thoroughly with WD-40 and a toothbrush. Accumated chain lube can liquify at higher temps and drip down making it appear you have an oil leak somewhere.
Thanks. Headed to the garage with my wife's toothbrush. (y)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts