SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SV1000S 2004
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I decided I needed another bike to tart up a bit (The Blackbird has had most things done to it) so I bought a 2004 SV1000S with cosmetic damage. Fixed that up , charged up the battery and hey presto ! Off I went...for about 90 miles and then the bike ground to a halt. Tried restarting and the battery died ..so got a mate to pick me up , took the battery home to charge up , back to the bike and it started on the button , rode about 100yards and died again. Mate said have you got fuel...no! Put some in and off again. Got home and googled issues so got a new regulator/ rectifier , started up OK. A few days later trieste start but fuel pump not priming !! Got a new fuel pump and primed OK so went for a ride....50 yards up the road , it started coughing and spluttering, made it home..just.
Now it primes but just won't fire up....any ideas before I start taking it apart again ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
A fuel flow test will show whether it is fuel pump related or not.
What is the battery voltage at 3,000 rpm + ? Perhaps a combination of a failing battery with stator magnet migration?

·
Registered
SV1000S 2004
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't even get it to run at 3000rpm , I did wonder about the the battery , tested it with a battery tester and was giving 20.5Ah, but may change it. I'll see If the pump is actually pumping first

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
Tha battery sounds sick..... Suggestion....if its not spinning past 3k in the shed, then disconnect that battery and hook up your car battery to it, if it runs perfect, problem solved.
Process of elimination..

·
Registered
SV1000S 2004
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Battery is fine , turning engine over no problem . Checked the fuel pump and it's chucking out fuel OK. Just not firing although it does seem to try sometimes. Next thing to try is the TB's for a blockage and maybe the plugs. Strange it worked fine before the pump went....

·
Registered
SV1000S 2004
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update...I've had my injectors tested and they are fine. Put a tube on the fuel pipe from the tank , ignition on and pump primed OK, cranked the engine over and plenty of fuel coming out. Spark plugs changed and getting spark OK. The engine turns over no problem but just not firing! ....Ideas ?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
Have you bypassed the clutch switch ? next, the sidestand switch........has the bike had a nanna nap on its side and the tip over sensor is upset, or is not mounted properly ?

Is it in shock over the Queen ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you bypassed the clutch switch ? next, the sidestand switch........has the bike had a nanna nap on its side and the tip over sensor is upset, or is not mounted properly ?

Is it in shock over the Queen ?
I have tried bypassing safety switches and from what I see the tip over sensor is sitting properly no issues I have no FI light I also found out that the injectors with spit fuel while cranking and if I turn the throttle no fuel comes out at all I left off the throttle it spits a little bit I’m thinking fuel filter is bad possibly

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
Definetly shouldn't be "spitting".... (its not socially acceptable)..... A pressure test of the fuel pump is probably the next technical step, but, its an on-bike job, unless an injection house can set up power to the tank if you take it in.
Yes, the filter can be clogged, its small, its expensive to swap out...... You can remove it, shake it dry, and then leave it soaking in fuel injector cleaner or carby clean for 24 hours, shake the crap out of it again, then back flush it with and aerosol can of cleaner.....just have to rig up a hose...... You will shocked how much crap comes out.

If it sorts the issue, i would suggest do the fuel filter bypass, and put and external can filter like a Mahle KL145 or there is a UFI equivelant ...... heaps cheaper all round and stupidly easy to maintain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts