SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I want to upgrade my rear shock and was thinking of buying a yss shock, my problem is will the 335mm yss shock fit my 2005 SV1000S mine has the black frame. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi, I want to upgrade my rear shock and was thinking of buying a yss shock, my problem is will the 335mm yss shock fit my 2005 SV1000S mine has the black frame. Thanks for any help.
I don't think the YSS is considered an upgrade over the stock showa shock. You could consider rebuilding the shock instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the YSS is considered an upgrade over the stock showa shock. You could consider rebuilding the shock instead.
Hi, thanks for the reply and advice it was just I had heard positive feedback on yss shocks and they are also cheap.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,257 Posts
Hi, thanks for the reply and advice it was just I had heard positive feedback on yss shocks and they are also cheap.

YSS are decent enough shocks, but you will probably need to ensure that it is built to suit your needs..

The above advice of having your stock shock rebuilt is also a good idea. Get a spring that is best for your riding weight and valving to suit your tastes....
Similar overall price i suspect, but, at least you know the build quality of the unit is good to start with.

Reactions: gphilos

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I was also thinking of a gsxr1000 shock but it means cutting up the tool box and wrapping the rear exhaust.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have looked at the yss shock the quality looks better than the oem.
I am not sure about that. Showa shocks are quality made. But my point that the YSS shock doesn't offer both rebound and compression settings like the oem. It is a budget made shock. You get what you pay for.. that's why it might make more sense to rebuild the existing one and just buy a spring to match your weight.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,257 Posts
Thanks for the info, I was also thinking of a gsxr1000 shock but it means cutting up the tool box and wrapping the rear exhaust.
Yeah, i have an 03, so i have an 04 gixxer shock fitted no problems.....more room than yours.....and yes, the exhaust is wrapped.... but, to be honest, it is worth wrapping the exhaust
even with a standard shock......there is a lot of heat transferred.....

I know its a pain, but dropping the rear header pipe out of the bike, leave the flange bolts in place, then wrap the pipe, i used stainless lock wire over the top of it
to keep it firm (the moisture form the back wheel makes it grow and shrink and get loose otherwise)....then slip it back in to place.....
If you have put enough rap on, the bolts are held in place and you dont have to fiddle with gettin ghtem in there.....

Do all of this with the shock out of course.... heaps of room.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts