SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just bought a second hand 2002 Hayabusa because I allways dreamed of owning one. It seems that most people say that it has more bottom end power than the SV1000. Switching between my 2003 SV1000 and the busa, I feel that the SV is more responsive and has more low end power than the busa (2000-5000rpm). I am a bit disapointed with the busa, since I was expecting more power in low rpm.
Anyone ridden both bikes and had the same experience?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,257 Posts
I think from a 4 cyl perspective, they are good....but, compared to a v-twin, its always going to be dificult to replecate that initial drive...

Having said that, the Bus may need a decent tune....does it have a Power Commander or similar on it that can be re-tuned ?

Adding 3 teeth to the rear sprocket, or 1 less on the front will spark slightly nicer drive away.......

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,108 Posts
Hello. I just bought a second hand 2002 Hayabusa because I allways dreamed of owning one. It seems that most people say that it has more bottom end power than the SV1000. Switching between my 2003 SV1000 and the busa, I feel that the SV is more responsive and has more low end power than the busa (2000-5000rpm). I am a bit disapointed with the busa, since I was expecting more power in low rpm.
I ride both all the time. There might be tuning issues with the Hayabusa, it should allow you to let the clutch out at really low RPM and just shoot off.

Check gearing between the bikes and such also. Stock gearing on Hayabusas is quite tall and many lower it.

-ms

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have ridden both but with a considerable number of years in between; the Busa in 2003 and then i got my 2003 SV last summer. I remember the Busa impressed me a lot! This was during a two days group tour organized by several Norwegian importers, so on the same occasion I also got to try what I think was Kawasaki's alternative in the same class. The latter was rock stable but needed to be forced to change course. In comparison the Busa just followed your intended line with no fuss at all. A lovely bike!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just did some runs on both bikes and recorded speedometer with camera.
Both bikes do 60-140 km/h in 7,5 seconds in 6 gear. Busa gearing is a little bit taller than SV

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hayabusa 60-160 km/h in 9,9 seconds in 6 gear.
SV 60-160 km/h in 9,5 seconds in 6 gear.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Currently own an '07 SV1k, and have owned two 1stGen Hayabusas.

Roll-ons from 60 in top gear isn't a meaningful test of either engine... the SV has excellent grunt, but toe the bikes down one gear and the 'busa will slaughter it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Gen1 Busa and an SV1000 - I like the SV but, I love the Busa - I think of the SV as a bit agricultural (as in tractor) and the Busa is a gem. I am thinking of making the Busa into a streetfighter but, worry about losing all the plastics. Busa is heavy in general but, I came from BMW R1100RT and K1200RS over 600lb bikes and I am liking the Busa for touring with tank bag and tail bag. The Busa lost 40lbs by going to a Yoshimura 4 to1 and losing the PAIR system. The stock Busa twin pipes and stupid heavy and the performance is grumpy crap until you unplug it. The other thing I liked was 25k km and $2800 yee haw!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts