SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SV1000K3 Powercommander III help needed (still huge dip at 5500rpm)

Hi all,

I'm new here with a recently purchased SV1000K3.
This is my first fuel injected bike and my first bike with powercommander.

So basically the previous owner installed a PC3 and had it tuned on the dyno.
Mods:
- Dual Leovince with DB killer.
- Tank raised a bit
- Snorkel removed
- K&N filter
- O2 eliminator

So anyway here's the result (see attachement, I can't post links)

As you can see, there's a huge dip of 10nm at 5500rpm. While riding it's noticeable, feels flat.
According to the owner, they couldn't get this removed and it was "character of the engine".
I find it hard to believe this. Isn't one of the reasons to get a PC3, to remove such these dips? I'm aware of manufacturers leaning out the bike at points where it will be measured, and noticed on other dynos here that most tend to drop a bit, bit this looks quite extreme. Even horsepower drops while making more RPM.

I noticed that right around this spot, it's also getting leaner, from 13:1 to 14.5.
Could this be the cause of such a big drop?
Why didn't they change it?

I checked out the PC3 USB program for just a minute and also found an official mapping for SV1000 with leovince. The previous owner told me they didn't use this one and started from scratch.
From the mapping, I can see that the biggest + difference is exactly at 5500 rpm: +16% at full throttle.

Surely it can't be this simple? I mean I've never done this and the dyno guys do this for a living.
How would loading the official leovince stocking compare on a random SV1000? Are these good enough to just use out the box?
Or maybe load the current one in and add some % to the 5500rpm/5750rpm table?

Any insights would be great!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,126 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new here with a recently purchased SV1000K3.
This is my first fuel injected bike and my first bike with powercommander.

So basically the previous owner installed a PC3 and had it tuned on the dyno.
Mods:
- Dual Leovince with DB killer.
- Tank raised a bit
- Snorkel removed
- K&N filter
- O2 eliminator

So anyway here's the result (see attachement, I can't post links)

As you can see, there's a huge dip of 10nm at 5500rpm. While riding it's noticeable, feels flat.
According to the owner, they couldn't get this removed and it was "character of the engine".
I find it hard to believe this. Isn't one of the reasons to get a PC3, to remove such these dips? I'm aware of manufacturers leaning out the bike at points where it will be measured, and noticed on other dynos here that most tend to drop a bit, bit this looks quite extreme. Even horsepower drops while making more RPM.

I noticed that right around this spot, it's also getting leaner, from 13:1 to 14.5.
Could this be the cause of such a big drop?
Why didn't they change it?

I checked out the PC3 USB program for just a minute and also found an official mapping for SV1000 with leovince. The previous owner told me they didn't use this one and started from scratch.
From the mapping, I can see that the biggest + difference is exactly at 5500 rpm: +16% at full throttle.

Surely it can't be this simple? I mean I've never done this and the dyno guys do this for a living.
How would loading the official leovince stocking compare on a random SV1000? Are these good enough to just use out the box?
Or maybe load the current one in and add some % to the 5500rpm/5750rpm table?

Any insights would be great!

Thanks!
The AFR looks very lean there in the big dip.
I would use existing map and richen it up a bit.
-MS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The AFR looks very lean there in the big dip.
I would use existing map and richen it up a bit.
-MS
A bit of a late reply, but only now I got to reading out the PC3 to see the current map.

At first, I would've agreed with your statement. However if you look at the dyno, at 6200rpm it's the most lean of all, but making almost peak torque here.

Also, I just check the current tuned map against the one from powercommander.com for SV1000+leovince, and at 5500rpm (where the dip is) they have +15 and +16 respectively for 5500rpm full throttle (dyno = full throttle)... so with the above 2 things in mind I'm not sure anymore if being lean is causing this.

I included a screencap of the map that is on the PC3 right now.
Any ideas?

edit: I also read this on here
James did explain to me what the (big) dip was at around the 5,500 RPM, apparently its nothing to do with fuel/air mix or timing or emissions, but its something to do with the clutch torque converter (?)
???

Thanks

Attachments

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,126 Posts
A bit of a late reply, but only now I got to reading out the PC3 to see the current map.

At first, I would've agreed with your statement. However if you look at the dyno, at 6200rpm it's the most lean of all, but making almost peak torque here.

Also, I just check the current tuned map against the one from powercommander.com for SV1000+leovince, and at 5500rpm (where the dip is) they have +15 and +16 respectively for 5500rpm full throttle (dyno = full throttle)... so with the above 2 things in mind I'm not sure anymore if being lean is causing this.

I included a screencap of the map that is on the PC3 right now.
Any ideas?

edit: I also read this on here

???

Thanks

These engines do have a dip where you are talking about, but not usually that bad. This dip can be eliminated in my experience, but as mentioned, it is not all mapping. I do not know the exact cause, but I do know that with more compression, altered cam timing, and no STVs it seems to go away. I have a feeling it is a resonant frequency thing and tuning on the intake side.

I am sending a PM.

-MS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These engines do have a dip where you are talking about, but not usually that bad. This dip can be eliminated in my experience, but as mentioned, it is not all mapping. I do not know the exact cause, but I do know that with more compression, altered cam timing, and no STVs it seems to go away. I have a feeling it is a resonant frequency thing and tuning on the intake side.

I am sending a PM.

-MS
Unfortunately I can't send PMs yet, apparently need 15 posts. Why I can't even reply PM's is beyond me though, who thought of that?
Still can't posts links either....i'll use email

1 - 5 of 5 Posts