SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

It's my first post in this forum, so if this isn't in the right section, please redirect me to the appropriate section.

I would like to do a build on my Sv1000s 2005.

I currently have a PCV on the bike and planning on getting a custom 2” exhaust (would like to keep the 2 exhaust).

I’ve looked online and talked with Gregg from Spears and I was told that a good kit would be the Big Bore Kit (1036CC).

The list that was given to me is the following :

• Suzuki SV/TL1000 Overbore High compression race Pistons + 2mm 1036.7CC
• Race Piston kit will need to be bored and re-plated with a nickel silicon carbride (NSC)
• Cams
• Cylinder Processed
• Gaskets
• Freshen up your heads
• Go to a professional Dyno Shop to tune the bike correctly

Do you have guys have any tips or suggestions for pieces that I don't have on my list that I should also change.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Sincerely,

Kevin

·
Registered
330 Posts
TBH you will get better bang for your buck with TL-R heads more so even than the 2mm overbore. 4 Stroke performance is head more than cyls actually. In fact higher compression that will result in your 2mm bore may be more low end grunt over high rev power.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,199 Posts
Hi everyone,

It's my first post in this forum, so if this isn't in the right section, please redirect me to the appropriate section.

I would like to do a build on my Sv1000s 2005.

I currently have a PCV on the bike and planning on getting a custom 2” exhaust (would like to keep the 2 exhaust).

I’ve looked online and talked with Gregg from Spears and I was told that a good kit would be the Big Bore Kit (1036CC).

The list that was given to me is the following :

• Suzuki SV/TL1000 Overbore High compression race Pistons + 2mm 1036.7CC
• Race Piston kit will need to be bored and re-plated with a nickel silicon carbride (NSC)
• Cams
• Cylinder Processed
• Gaskets
• Freshen up your heads
• Go to a professional Dyno Shop to tune the bike correctly

Do you have guys have any tips or suggestions for pieces that I don't have on my list that I should also change.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Sincerely,

Kevin
I responded back to your message you sent via Facebook.

-ms

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,199 Posts
TBH you will get better bang for your buck with TL-R heads more so even than the 2mm overbore. 4 Stroke performance is head more than cyls actually. In fact higher compression that will result in your 2mm bore may be more low end grunt over high rev power.
Without careful set up, you lose a fair bit of compression bolting on TL1000R heads. I have also seen a couple of cases now where people have bolted on TL heads and bend valves. The SV pistons have smaller valve reliefs and don’t like the 40mm intake valves.

A fully ported set of SV1000 heads work really well.

-ms

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,199 Posts
If TL pistons and heads were used would that prevent the valve piston interference ? Did the TL-R and SV have the same stroke ?
It can yes, but deck height were also slightly different between TLs and SVs so you should be checking anyway.

Again, make sure you understand your compression ratio. Measure it all up and you might be surprised how low your compression ratio is.

SVs and TLs were same bore/stroke.

-ms

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks, but ok, I am actually not touching this SV inspite of having TL heads. But I'm also thinking I have TL cyls and pistons - have to find it all. Its all been put in storage. I am so far from getting at it. In fact I'm hoping to get my hands on my 970 mile gauge cluster before I get to that. This SV as it is is far faster than I really want to even ride.

·
Registered
28 Posts
To OP: How do you plan to use the bike? For curvy road riding, which is what the SV and bikes like it are for, the 1st thing is to fix the oem suspension which is very lacking. Adding more power without addressing suspension is the wrong way to go.

If you want serious power, you have the wrong bike. Go find a used KTM Super Duke - you won't build an SV (well, maybe a turbo) that will come close to the KTM. IMO put some cans on it, get it tuned with a PC or whatever, and enjoy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts