SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an SV1000S 2007. The engine runs very smoothly and has a power commander.
When I use the turn signal, the RPM goes down and up until I turn the turn signal off. It makes the bike unridable. Sometimes it even kills the engine if its at idle and the RPM goes down too much. Doesn't matter which turn signal direction I use.
I know a bad stator is a common problem on these, but the problem doesn't happen if I use the passing light, which I would think use more power? Any thoughts?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,786 Posts
That has got to be the wierdest one i have heard of......
I would think that its a short somewhere. If it is happening when using left or right signals, then its probably under the seat.
If its only one side, then its possibly further away.
Unplug one indicator at a time until the problem stops, or pluck the fuse for the indicators and see what happens

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just bought an SV1000S 2007. The engine runs very smoothly and has a power commander.
When I use the turn signal, the RPM goes down and up until I turn the turn signal off. It makes the bike unridable. Sometimes it even kills the engine if its at idle and the RPM goes down too much. Doesn't matter which turn signal direction I use.
I know a bad stator is a common problem on these, but the problem doesn't happen if I use the passing light, which I would think use more power? Any thoughts?
I had something similar happen when my magnets / rotor failed. I was out riding and as the bike was losing voltage, it would miss when I used the turn signal. Eventually it died And wouldn’t start. If your battery voltage is ok, it may be an ground issue as mentioned.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,786 Posts
Thank you all. I will do some tests with a voltmeter this weekend and we'll see. I just hope it's not the stator.
Hopefully the stator is the worst of the problems, if at all, the rotor magnets failing / disintergrating is the most inconvenient thing...

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I measured the battery. When the bike is off, the battery voltage is about 12,7. When idling, its at 14,3. Is that good?
Also, the bike always uses about 2-3 seconds to start when its cold. When its warm, it start instantly. Does that indicate anything?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,786 Posts
12.7 isnt real flash, but not terrible.... This may contribute to the poor start. If you have a quality maintenance charger, wack it on for 24hrs, it should cycle the battery and possibly rejuvenate it a bit. Who knows how long the bike had been sitting before you got it...
Another little bug-bear that all bikes can suffer is poor spark plug cap connection to the wire.
Unscrew the caps of the leads, lefty loosy, and trim about 5mm off the wire, and flush the caps at both ends with brake clean or contact clean....refit and see if that helps.
It will help the way it runs if they are cruddy enough to start with.

Your fuel pump is spinning up ok prior to starting ?

Reactions: Urbanjugle
1 - 10 of 10 Posts