SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've just noticed that my SW Motech top rack bent and is almost touching the bodywork.
I assume that it's due to weight i was putting into the box.
Do you guys know anyone (in UK) who would be able to make some sort of supports to fit there (I have the hamicad tail tidy - so the supports should run from it to the rack)
thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is the top rack
i have hepco & becker 42 l box
I think I was carrying 15 - 20 kgs in there (weight including box)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Crap I was just about to purchase that rack and a Givi trunk. Is this common. I really like the rack better than the Givi but that seems like a very low weight limit for a luggage rack.

·
"Kiss my Ass"
13,712 Posts
Crap I was just about to purchase that rack and a Givi trunk. Is this common. I really like the rack better than the Givi but that seems like a very low weight limit for a luggage rack.
Most of the luggage system recommend very low weight loads, i have had Givi set ups in the past and severely loaded them up and never had a problem, had one fitted to the Blackbird that i carried about 25 kilos in a couple of times when travelling in Europe.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi
I've just noticed that my SW Motech top rack bent and is almost touching the bodywork.
I assume that it's due to weight i was putting into the box.
Do you guys know anyone (in UK) who would be able to make some sort of supports to fit there (I have the hamicad tail tidy - so the supports should run from it to the rack)
thanks
Hi mar_s,

I designed and now producing a alu rack for the SV, it uses the original grab handle as support.
Want to avoid the same problem .
Can you post an image of the SW motech rack bended, so I can see where it bends?.

·
Tripple United
2,454 Posts
SW Motech and Givi are fine systems. It is lack of proper attachment /support SV provides makes it hard to retain proper geometry of the top rack under load.
GIVI suffers from support where it attaches to the bottom of pillion grab rail. SW Motechis flawed on SV due to its overhang and somewhat flimsy deisgn...

To properly fir top case of any size one must get this SHAD design installed ...IMHO is the best confuguration out there for SV.

:cheers:

·
"Kiss my Ass"
13,712 Posts
SW Motech and Givi are fine systems. It is lack of proper attachment /support SV provides makes it hard to retain proper geometry of the top rack under load.
GIVI suffers from support where it attaches to the bottom of pillion grab rail. SW Motechis flawed on SV due to its overhang and somewhat flimsy deisgn...

To properly fir top case of any size one must get this SHAD design installed ...IMHO is the best confuguration out there for SV.

:cheers:
That does look like a good set up but there is another option which is available from v2 shrek,HERE this set up is very strong, so much so i can lift the rear off the floor with it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
thanks ken, for refering the OgreDesigns Alu Rack for the SV. and testing the ptototype.

Now I have a batch of improved racks.
this next weekend I'll post a new thread about these racks.
meanwhile see some preview images ...
Img_3634_.jpg
Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg

estimated price is
rack only (powder coated, silver or black) : 49 Eur
Grabe handle machined: 49 Eur
Service of machining supplied grab handle : 10 Eur.

accepting requests .... hurry up before stock ends.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the thing is - i want to fit panniers as well - and what i liked about sw motech is that i can fit just panniers without all other crap.
also it's easy to dismantle
for me the best option would be to have supports made
also if there is someone out there who could make them - maybe there would be more demand from other users...

·
Registered
363 Posts
You need to look at V2 Shreks post as he has designed a rear rack and is in the process of adding additional pannier mountings

Here is a first preview of the side panniers.
That will fit to the alu rack.
View attachment 61246

As you can see, the upper fixing needs some more reviewing.
If anyone has the information of locations and dimensions of side boxes (givi and others) that would be nice.

I plan to use black SW Motech Alu-Trax side boxes with these side racks.
but think they can be adapted more brands of boxes.

·
Be excelent to one another
3,879 Posts
the thing is - i want to fit panniers as well - and what i liked about sw motech is that i can fit just panniers without all other crap.
also it's easy to dismantle
for me the best option would be to have supports made
also if there is someone out there who could make them - maybe there would be more demand from other users...
Thats the setup I'm going for - if no resolution is found I'll come up with something...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Am i missing something here, can't see where it is bent.
it might be not very visible on pictures , but now one of the screws (the one furthest to the back) is hitting the top fairing (and chipping the paint)
the rack when first installed was about 1 inch above it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts