SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For some time now, my tachometer has been bouncing or jumping around within a thousand or so rpm. At first glance it behaves as if it were a worn cable but because it’s electronic, So there is no cable involved. Hopefully some of our membership will have suggestions to resolve this behavior.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Have you checked the rotor magnets lately? Or the infamous Green Connector? Most likely cause of tach bouncing would be voltage fluctuations (guessing) and magnets have slipped which compromises how it charges as well as the GC's melting which can affect the whole bike. At least these things are what I'd want to eliminate before going any deeper looking for the problem.

I believe there have been a few tach's break the circuit boards internally...and then the plug can vibrate which can affect the connections. It's going to be a process of elimination, so be systematic and persistent.:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had the magneto replaced two years ago (factory store comped the cost) and I don’t seem to have any charging issues at present. I’ll check my green connector and reply with an update, Thanks Rob!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven’t done anything about it as yet. Perhaps over this summer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello together,

do anybody has solved the problem?
I do also have the problem that the tachometer is not stable and is jumping. After some time the needle is stable but this will take some time. Especially when acceleration it looks like a manometer for air tire pressure 😅

Thanks for any reply!

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
I do also have the problem that the tachometer is not stable and is jumping.....
You mean the needle is jumping up and down ? Or the speedo reading is erratic ?

If its the speedo, take the front sprocket cover off and and check that the 4 posted speedo trigger is firmly tightened and that it has all 4 posts on it.

The tacho could be the connector on the bottom of the instrument cluster...... disconnect it, clean it with conatct cleaner or brake clean, dry and reconnect.
While the bike is running, wriggle the connector around and see of that effects the tacho, that might indicate a poor connection, or as mentioned by RecoilRob
back in 2011 the circuit board "might" be cracked.

As previous, check your voltage readings....are they stable ? Charging should be at least 13.1v up to about 14.5v but not jumping around erratically.

Check the battery ground wire connection to the frame and battery....

Its a bit by bit process, and annoying, but, if you perist, you will find the issue

Some other members may have some better clues than i have....

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have exactly the same problem with my tacho , i will check the above mentioned items this weekend.
regards
Shamless

1 - 8 of 8 Posts