SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can be found HERE! :supsmiley:

The original repair tutorial website is gone, so I uploaded the pictures to an album.

P.S. Don't wait until it breaks to fix it!!

P.P.S. The bike is gross due to the fact that it broke following and 800+ mile rally weekend peg and knee dragging weekend in Southern Indiana. :whistle:

·
Banned
847 Posts
I agree, easy to follow and well written.

Only thing I think is missing is a blurb saying what the symptoms of having the green connector issue are. i.e. why would I need to fix my green connector. I know it's probably written up in other threads, just be nice to see it on your brilliant write up too :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Does this affect all models or is it Only restricted to the earlier silver framed variety

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, easy to follow and well written.

Only thing I think is missing is a blurb saying what the symptoms of having the green connector issue are. i.e. why would I need to fix my green connector. I know it's probably written up in other threads, just be nice to see it on your brilliant write up too :)
That issue is rectified. There is now a "symptoms" page complete with a link to the "Green Connector" thread here.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I've just finished doing this. I was very slow and methodical.

I just reconnected the battery and I'm getting an F1 on the dash. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I always get anxious when I do anything involving electrical stuff. I was afraid someting might happen. Everything else seems to be working okay. So, why am I getting this code?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Would it help if I disconnected the 4 wires and reconnected them. Should I hook everything back up (PAIR, air box ) and would that solve it. I really need some help here.

p.s. how do i enter this "dealer mode" that I keep hearing about?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I think everything's okay now.....

As you could tell from the last posts I was pretty frazzled. I'm always afraid of screwing something up and then not being able to get the bike to someone more experienced that can help. I was very fortunate in this case that the bike still ran. But I also felt a bit P.O's because the green connector was in perfect shape.

Anyway, I figured I cut my losses and bring it to a dealer to sort out. I was planning to drop it off soon for a valve adjustment so I figured I just do it a little sooner and spend a bit more cash.

Long story short, when I reconnected everything the error code disappeared. I've tried turning it off and on several times and it still seems fine.

Thanks for posting the tutorial on how to do this. I wouldn't have been able to do it without your help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, not having everything reconnected could definitely force the FI light. Getting all the parts hooked up probably solved your problem. Glad it worked out! Happy motoring!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Did you re-connect the sensor on the left rear of the air box? I sometimes forget that one and get an error code. A quick shut off and hookup fix it though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would like to say that my bike was stricken with the green connector failure on Friday night. I was adding some lithium lube to the ignition cylinder when all of a sudden my bike does not turn on anymore; no lights, fuel pump, nada! I checked all the fuses and battery voltage, everything was fine.

Took the bike apart the next day and inspected the green connector; the terminal for the red/black wire was completely melted! So glad this was the problem! I replaced this connector with a military-grade waterproof 4-pin connector I got from work and soldered and heat-shrunk all connections. PROBLEM SOLVED! The bike has been running fine for days!

Don't be like me and think that because the connector has lasted 10 years, it'll be fine. I got lucky in the fact that the connector finally gave up when my bike was parked in front of my apartment. This could have happened anywhere at anytime and would leave you completely stranded.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 03 lasted till 2010 and it finally got me, looks like it will just be a matter of time. Mine started cutting out in the middle of a ride, I would really have hated to lose power in the middle of a deep lean, thats the kinda thing that could ruin your day. I changed it out and all is well again. People really need to at least check this plug out during maintenance to avoid a serious safety risk.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
People really need to at least check this plug out during maintenance to avoid a serious safety risk.
That's the thing. It's not something that would be easily checked during routine maintenance. You have to go out of the way to get to the connector, and chances are it WILL go bad when it's least convenient (murphy's law and all that).

SV1000 owners that haven't dealt with it yet should find it and bypass or replace it now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just finished soldering mine, and it worked great. My bike was doing the same, wouldn't start sometimes and when I took the connector apart, that same terminal that the black and red wire go into was all melted. Problem solved!

·
Registered
48 Posts
"P.S. Don't wait until it breaks to fix it!!"

Thank you for posting this...... made my life a lot easier after being bit by the Green Connector many miles from home

·
Registered
2 Posts
Should have read this sooner

Got bit by the green connector today. I was lucky that I was at a friends house, he took me to get my trailer. Took her home and fixed her up. If it would have happened yesterday, I was about 3 hours from home. :sweatdrop:

·
Registered
36 Posts
The pictures in the tutorial show two orange wires being spliced together, but in most of the posts people are saying it is the black/red wire that causes the problem in the green connector. Can someone please clarify which wires in the green connector are the ones that need to be spliced? I'm going to be working on the bike this weekend and want to take care of this before I have any problems.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts