SV Portal Forums banner

What kinda gas mileage are you getting?

• 50+ MPG HOLY COW! How did Suzuki do it?? Such power and efficency!

Votes: 28 3.9%
  • 40-50 MPG Prett much what I expect from such a powerful bike.

Votes: 350 49.2%
  • 30-40 Man, I need to stay of that throttle a bit more.

Votes: 285 40.1%
  • Under 30 - HOLY COW! What the hell is the matter with me and my bike?

Votes: 48 6.8%
1101 - 1120 of 1122 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Went for a fast run this morning up on RT68 which is a most wonderful mountain super-highway with 70mph speed limits and minimal enforcement. Ran almost 100 miles averaging about 78 which is slightly faster than the 50 mpg limit so it slipped to 48. Still...not too shabby and about as efficient as I can get it.

Really bothersome to see 11:1 A/F on the wideband which is super, super rich...but there's nothing I can do about it. This only happens with maintenance throttle down steep grades where going up the other side will show 13.5-14:1 which is a nice and clean mixture that makes good use of the fuel. The stock SV ECU is dumping fuel thinking the PAIR (which is gone) is adding air to the cats (also gone) and this is where the 11:1 stuff is coming from.

Almost decided to refit the PAIR to see how the additional air would affect the mixture...but don't think it would be worth the effort. The actual amount of fuel being injected maintaining 80 down a mountain is minimal...even if the ratio of fuel to air is rich...so the impact on the total efficiency not so great. I think. This bike is a great performer up in the mountains with excellent torque in the 5-6K range.:)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Went for a fast run this morning up on RT68 which is a most wonderful mountain super-highway with 70mph speed limits and minimal enforcement. Ran almost 100 miles averaging about 78 which is slightly faster than the 50 mpg limit so it slipped to 48. Still...not too shabby and about as efficient as I can get it.

Really bothersome to see 11:1 A/F on the wideband which is super, super rich...but there's nothing I can do about it. This only happens with maintenance throttle down steep grades where going up the other side will show 13.5-14:1 which is a nice and clean mixture that makes good use of the fuel. The stock SV ECU is dumping fuel thinking the PAIR (which is gone) is adding air to the cats (also gone) and this is where the 11:1 stuff is coming from.

Almost decided to refit the PAIR to see how the additional air would affect the mixture...but don't think it would be worth the effort. The actual amount of fuel being injected maintaining 80 down a mountain is minimal...even if the ratio of fuel to air is rich...so the impact on the total efficiency not so great. I think. This bike is a great performer up in the mountains with excellent torque in the 5-6K range.:)
I hate your mileage. :pokey:

I'm actually pretty happy with mine right now. My last tank of gas netted me 38.4mpg which is the best I have seen on the bike in a long time. I'm still investigating having a 6 to 7 gallon tank made tho so I can do some serious long range riding without having to stop every 130 miles for gas...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I finally saved up enough for me to buy and fit Fuelbot 2.0... WOW !!

I finally understand how my bike burns fuel!!! It's all about throttle control and getting past the first 3 gears quickly and into 4th. Then a steady hand at 2-5% throttle means your burning 5.5 to 6.2 lt/100km (51.4 to 45.6 mpg). These values measured with 6th gear at 6000 rpm doing 100 mph!!! It was pretty gusty, too!

So now that I've adjusted my everyday riding style, my regular 30% traffic - 70% highway (on the highway doing 100-110 mph) yields 6.8 lt/100km or 41.6 mpg. SUCCESS!!! A far cry from the 28mpg the bike was doing when I bought it!!!

I'll agree with Rob here, FuelBot absolutely RULES!! Now I don't have to play oracle with the damn reserve light which apparently lights up at 40% empty!! I now know exactly how much fuel I have left and exactly how many miles before I run dry.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Recently added modifications to the fuel system have finally given my SV the ability to cruise over 75 while maintaining 50 or more mpg!:) I ran the Mountain Loop the other day and saw 52mpg at the end, and this was running a bit faster than normally with about 80 constant cruise and the occasional blast to 100-110 to pass people/trucks or sort through traffic.

Running like this on the loop NEVER broke 50 before, and normally ended up in the mid-high 40's, but now it'll cruise along about as fast as you wish without dropping below 50...and I'm stoked! What we did: installed an external fuel pressure regulator that has a vacuum port hooked to manifold vacuum. My HighFlow fuel pump was putting out more pressure than the stock regulator could control at light demand, so adding the external one now lets me run right at 44psi where it's supposed to be as stock. This required a LOT of mapping change within the ECU, and I'm now aware of how sensitive the fuel mixture is to the pressure being applied to the injectors. It's not so sensitive at full throttle, but the minute amount of fuel being injected at light throttle is most definitely influenced by high pressure and must be controlled if maximum economy is to be expected.

My bike used to do some really weird things by going super rich at times...like maintenance throttle down long grades at high speed, and just generally going rich when reaching 65-70. This was puzzling and I'd given up trying to fix it a while back...until the though hit me that the manifold vacuum was sucking fuel out of the injectors at light throttle and reducing the pressure might make this happen less often...which proved to be correct.

The bike cruises at 75-80 now showing 14.7-15.5:1 or thereabouts and will pull most steep mountain grades without dropping much below stoichiometric. Maintenance throttle down the other sides normally stays up in the 13.5-14.5:1 range which is still kind of rich...but MUCH better than it was before.:) The SV injection system is not a super high-tech feedback type so you can only expect so much, and I'm believing that it's pretty close to good now. Normal test loop mileage has increased from about 52 to 55-56 on three runs so far and I expect it to be consistent now. It's great to be cruising along and seeing the A/F reading 15:1! Runs super smooth now too, and much smoother down low than it ever did before.

Some of that happened when I went to an external fuel filter. It popped in my head that the rear cylinder was getting shorted on fuel a little when the stock filter is so restrictive, and just changing to the external one showed the fuel pressure increased and the engine ran smoother down low! It's still no Harley and won't let you chug it down too far, but I've successfully negotiated some twisty roads in 6th and letting it down to 2500 where it absolutely would refuse to run before. You still can't ask for a lot of power down that low, but just holding speed through a corner is doable and smooth as glass.(sort of) The light throttle mapping is lean enough now that it'll pull smoothly from just about any speed and you can run it pretty darn fast before you get into the power enrichment part of the map....so it stays economical and running clean. Very impressive engine! Wish everyone had the chance to experience what this fine engine has to offer...as the stock setup is pretty compromised and wastes gas and smoothness.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
17/36 gearing to keep the revs down. Steady 47 mpg (corrected) mpg every fill-up. Speedometer now reads exact speed (per GPS) and odometer is 6.5% short of accurate mileage so I add 6.5% to initial mileage calculation. 4000rpm brings a true 65mph. 4000 revs with standard gearing is around 59 true mph.

Ralph

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Gearing IS important!

Good riding Ralph!:) The stock speedometer seems to need the taller gearing to read accurately...either like you've done with the 36T rear (where did you find such an animal?) or do like I've done with the 18/40 gearing which results in about the same thing.

With a prototype 'SpeedBot' in place, my speedometer is now pretty darn close to dead nuts...though when the tire is worn out it will read about 1mph faster than reality but this goes away when a fresh one is installed.

The odometer will then read slow....so either you need to account for it or run a FuelBot where you can calibrate it's odometer to read accurately. This is nice setup!

This morning I installed the full length (but slightly modified) baffle in the Yoshi can and rode the mountain test loop...to right on 58 mpg! This is better than it normally did and I'm thinking the better control of fuel pressure is responsible. It's almost 90F here too...and this bike always delivers its' best mileage when it's hot outside.

From watching the Instantaneous Mileage readout it's obvious that 60 mpg's could be attained if you were disicplined enough to ride that slowly and be super careful with the throttle...but I'm neither so I'll just take the high-50's and be happy. Remember please that this riding is cheating from normal duty as there's NO idling or traffic to speak of and 6th gear can be maintained almost the whole 130 mile loop. Only had to terror pass a couple SUV's on one back road because they refused to enter a blind turn over 30 mph...and that won't do on a road that I normally run at 55-65. They make me shift and shift and shift....do they have any idea of what it's like to ride a bike behind their dawdling asses? It IS fun to use the SV torque to shoot around them...and to notice that they normally react as soon as they hear the throttle being opened behind them. That must mean it's loud enough.:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Been siting read this thread for a few hours now and i see that no one is stating what kind of fuel they use for eg. here in South Africa we have 93 or 95 metal free gas but each supplier adds their own set of additives, 93 usually gives less mileage than 95 by a fraction, but when doing long trips that little extra helps.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Been siting read this thread for a few hours now and i see that no one is stating what kind of fuel they use for eg. here in South Africa we have 93 or 95 metal free gas but each supplier adds their own set of additives, 93 usually gives less mileage than 95 by a fraction, but when doing long trips that little extra helps.
Here in the 'States, most of us are stuck with E10 which is 10% ethanol alcohol blend of unleaded gas. Octane varies from 86 or 87 at the lowest to 93 or maybe 94 and like your fuel...HOW they blend it affects the energy content moreso than the octane numbers.

Our octane readings are R+M/2 which is different (I think) than many other countries with R being Research and M being Motor. R tends to be higher than M rating, and I'd guess SA gas is rated with Research rating...but that's just a guess.

The 93 that we have here will run a 12.5:1 SV just fine...and some go clear up to the mid 13's with good results...though I'm not sure how close to detonation they might be. Kind of hard to hear it should it happen on the SV, and I'm kind of thinking the combustion chamber design is such that it's not going to detonate at all. If the timing is set way too high, the power will drop drastically but with good gas knocking shouldn't happen.(he said, tapping wood that his will not shed ring-lands the next time out due to detonation) :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here in the 'States, most of us are stuck with E10 which is 10% ethanol alcohol blend of unleaded gas. Octane varies from 86 or 87 at the lowest to 93 or maybe 94 and like your fuel...HOW they blend it affects the energy content moreso than the octane numbers.

Our octane readings are R+M/2 which is different (I think) than many other countries with R being Research and M being Motor. R tends to be higher than M rating, and I'd guess SA gas is rated with Research rating...but that's just a guess.

The 93 that we have here will run a 12.5:1 SV just fine...and some go clear up to the mid 13's with good results...though I'm not sure how close to detonation they might be. Kind of hard to hear it should it happen on the SV, and I'm kind of thinking the combustion chamber design is such that it's not going to detonate at all. If the timing is set way too high, the power will drop drastically but with good gas knocking shouldn't happen.(he said, tapping wood that his will not shed ring-lands the next time out due to detonation) :)
from my understanding South Africa use less than 10% ethanol, I believe something like a governed 5-8%, most bikes nowadays have a sticker requiring that you pour 95 octane

·
Registered
64 Posts
Covered 202 klms from country cafe/petrol station, did a loop via pub lunch, returned to cafe and topped up, used 10ltrs, so approx 5L/100klms in metric speak.
Or about 57 imp mpg, and that was on Ron 98.

All good things come in twos

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have K4 with stock engine, K&N filter, with MIVV mufflers and 17:41 gearing.

Lowest I could get was 6l per 100km ~ 45mpg (UK), 40 (US)
Highest 9l per 100km ~ 35mpg (UK), 26 (US)
Avg 7l per 100km ~ 40mpg (UK), 34 (US)

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,108 Posts
I have K4 with stock engine, K&N filter, with MIVV mufflers and 17:41 gearing.

Lowest I could get was 6l per 100km ~ 45mpg (UK), 40 (US)
Highest 9l per 100km ~ 35mpg (UK), 26 (US)
Avg 7l per 100km ~ 40mpg (UK), 34 (US)
My conversions vary a bit from yours. The US mpgs agree but the imperial gallon conversion is different? 1.2US gallons equals 1 Imp gallon.

6l/100km = 47.1 miles/imp gallon = 39.2 miles/US gallon
9l/100km = 31.4 miles/imp gallon = 26.1 miles/US gallon
7l/100km = 40.4 miles/imp gallon = 33.6 miles/US gallon

-MS

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my SV for 5 weeks and now have 1600 miles on it. I am getting 42-46 mpg per tank. I usually ride in the 60-75 mph range. I also have a 2001 BMW R1100S that under the same conditions gets around 38-40 mpg. My '98 VFR gets 39-41 mpg.

·
Registered
137 Posts
2006 SV1K with less than 2000 miles on it (recently bought it from original owner with only 69 miles on it!).

Post break-in on a completely stock setup running 87 octane and 235 lbs before gear, I'm averaging 38-40 mpg (US) with a combination of city (20%) and 75 mph, ~5000 RPM cruising highway (80%)

I will be adjusting the TPS, synchronizing the throttle bodies, putting on a double-bubble windscreen and swapping out the stock exhaust cans for a pair of Danmoto "Jisu" bolt-ons in the next couple weeks and will report back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been getting low mileage, if the other numbers I'm seeing are correct.

With gearing change of -1 tooth in front, I'm getting about 32 mpg.

It's funny, because I just had a ECU remap (excellent results!)... my first tank gave me 37 mpg... the next tank, 35.. the next, 32... where it seems to be staying. I'm a sporty rider but I'm not Marquez WFO (Wide F***ing Open) all the time by any means.
32 is right back where I was, before the re-map. LOW I get 30!

My TPS is set carefully, as is my synch; I use a clean K&N filter.. the plugs are fresh.

HMMMM...

·
Registered
137 Posts
My 38-40 mpg entails virtually no time spent at WOT.

I've seen as low as 35 when gunning it a bit and average about 37 when I'm having a bit more fun and cruising around 6K or so instead of my usual 5K RPM.

How much do you weigh? Was anything different between your 37, 35 and 32 mpg tanks (time spent in city vs freeway vs twisties, etc)? The ECU map didn't change, obviously.

The gearing drop in the front could explain some of the difference between us, as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Worst I’ve had so far is 94 when light came on, best I’ve had is 120 and light still hadn’t come on, I could probably get a little more if I’m careful on the throttle (but who wants to do that)😂

1101 - 1120 of 1122 Posts