SV Portal Forums banner

Regular (Dino) or Synthetic Oil?

961 - 980 of 1010 Posts

·
A square wheel rollin' !!
1,598 Posts
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but there's one thing I'd like to clarify:

I have a 2006 SV1000S, California model, that I bought with aftermarket pipes. I have to assume that it has a catalytic converter. So, Rotella and the other diesel oils are out. If I was just limited to oils at Wal-Mart, are there any other auto 10W-40 oils to avoid? Mobil 1?

I'm assuming the rest are all bottled in the same plant...
Why would you have to avoid those oils if your bike had a catalytic converter ?

Your bike doesn't have a catalytic converter.

The main oils to avoid are those marked with "Energy conserving" as they usually have a lot of moly which can cause the clutch plates to slip.

....................Blake

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but there's one thing I'd like to clarify:

I have a 2006 SV1000S, California model, that I bought with aftermarket pipes. I have to assume that it has a catalytic converter. So, Rotella and the other diesel oils are out. If I was just limited to oils at Wal-Mart, are there any other auto 10W-40 oils to avoid? Mobil 1?

I'm assuming the rest are all bottled in the same plant...
OEM cans in EU have catalytic converters inside, but I have never heard of aftermarket cans with them... So it should be safe to say you don't need to worry about it.

However - I wouldn't recommend using car oil as you can't really know if there's any ingredient that might conflict with the 'wet clutch' concept.

Generally, according to the users manual, oil should comply to API SF or SG OR (API SH or SJ and JASO MA).

For viscosity they recommend SAE 10W-40 oil, but include a viscosity vs. ambient temperature chart that shows:

• 10W-30 is good from -20 to 30°C
  • 15W-40 and 15W-50 are good from -15 to over 40°C.
  • 20W-50 is good from -10°C to over 40°C.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just replaced oil and this time used Castrol Edge (full Synth) for motorcycle. 15-50W, I believe. I was using Roletta 15-40W from Walmart before. Castrol seems to be better. Shifting is significantly smoother and engine revs smoother as well. I will see how Castrol maintains its performance after few hundred miles.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
With one of my Guzzis I bought a few years ago, I got 3 quarts of Motul synthetic 10-50. That's the wrong oil for a hydraulic valve operation Guzzi (the 03 and 04 touring models for which the factory mandates 5/40 synthetic) so I put it in the 03 SV-1000N where formerly I had used Rotella 5/40 synthetic.

I must admit I am very pleased with the Motul 10-50 in the SV. It shifts very well and just "feels" right. Maybe because it was free? Well, I'm not imagining it causes the bike to shift better. Pricey, but I will continue to use it.

Ralph

·
1,598 Posts
With one of my Guzzis I bought a few years ago, I got 3 quarts of Motul synthetic 10-50. That's the wrong oil for a hydraulic valve operation Guzzi (the 03 and 04 touring models for which the factory mandates 5/40 synthetic) so I put it in the 03 SV-1000N where formerly I had used Rotella 5/40 synthetic.

I must admit I am very pleased with the Motul 10-50 in the SV. It shifts very well and just "feels" right. Maybe because it was free? Well, I'm not imagining it causes the bike to shift better. Pricey, but I will continue to use it.

Ralph

Yeah, I tried using Rotella T6 5w-40 in my bike. It caused my trans/shifting to feel notchy. Didn't like it. Won't be using it again.

...................Blake

·
N of Atlanta
7,697 Posts

·
N of Atlanta
7,697 Posts
Just replaced oil and this time used Castrol Edge (full Synth) for motorcycle. 15-50W, I believe. I was using Roletta 15-40W from Walmart before. Castrol seems to be better. Shifting is significantly smoother and engine revs smoother as well. I will see how Castrol maintains its performance after few hundred miles.
On Castrol's web site, Edge is NOT motorcycle specific... :unsure:

·
Knowledge is Horsepower
3,259 Posts
Trying to go cheap. Cheapest I could find is standard Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil for $3.94 a quart at sprawl mart (looking online today).

Tonight I went looking for it in a local wally world. The bastards had the motor oil in the back corner of the store! Seemed like a mile away from the checkouts. Then they didn't even have it!

They did have the Fram PH6018 oil filter but $9.17! WalMart sucks. :angry2:

Off to Fleet Farm instead.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The great motorcycle oil con.

I've never used anything other than normal car oil in my bikes.
As long as all the DIN numbers and SAE numbers and various standards line up I use it. I've never had a clutch slip, or any extraordinary wear on any motorcyle I've had over the years. In my view you're just paying over the odds for the printing on the can "Motorcyle oil". Latest oil change was Halfords 10W-40 which was on special at my local store. £12 for 4 litres-bargain!

·
I love my SV
5,783 Posts
I've never used anything other than normal car oil in my bikes.
As long as all the DIN numbers and SAE numbers and various standards line up I use it. I've never had a clutch slip, or any extraordinary wear on any motorcyle I've had over the years. In my view you're just paying over the odds for the printing on the can "Motorcyle oil". Latest oil change was Halfords 10W-40 which was on special at my local store. £12 for 4 litres-bargain!
Certainly makes you think if us bikers are being tuned over by the oil people,,!!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yep... But would car oil be ok for our bikes....?
Yup, as long as it doesn't have additives that would affect the wet clutch. They are usually listed as "extended life" and such. I've been using Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic for a few years now without any adverse effects. It's actually touted as a diesel truck oil but it's also JASO certified for motorcycle engines with a wet clutch. I've also used Mobil 1 full synthetic oil but got tired of the outrageous prices.

·
I love my SV
5,783 Posts
Yup, as long as it doesn't have additives that would affect the wet clutch. They are usually listed as "extended life" and such. I've been using Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic for a few years now without any adverse effects. It's actually touted as a diesel truck oil but it's also JASO certified for motorcycle engines with a wet clutch. I've also used Mobil 1 full synthetic oil but got tired of the outrageous prices.
Ah I see... Trouble is I don't know what codes to look out for that would affect our wet clutches...:confused:

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,149 Posts

·
1,598 Posts
Rotella T6 sucks . Made my bike feel like the trans was worse than my first streetbike, a beat 1983 GS650E. Ugh. Never using that junk in my bike again.

I've been using this for the past couple oil changes, just did one today. Gearbox is practically telepathic , it shifts so smooth. I wait until Menards has it on sale for about $6 a quart, then they usually have a $2 mail in rebate. Hard to beat name brand full synthetic for $4 a quart.

Have been very happy with it so far, trans feels great.

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
Rotella T6 sucks . Made my bike feel like the trans was worse than my first streetbike, a beat 1983 GS650E. Ugh. Never using that junk in my bike again.

I've been using this for the past couple oil changes, just did one today. Gearbox is practically telepathic , it shifts so smooth. I wait until Menards has it on sale for about $6 a quart, then they usually have a $2 mail in rebate. Hard to beat name brand full synthetic for $4 a quart.

Have been very happy with it so far, trans feels great.
I've been very happy with T6 in several different bikes for several years, including 3 different track only bikes. Never had any issues with the shifting in any of the bikes.

I posted in another thread some of the concerns I would have about running the Penzoil stuff.

10w-30 oil commonly has the "energy conserving" rating that has additives in it that will eventually cause the clutch to start slipping. And of even more concern is the bottle of STP. That definitely isn't going to be healthy for the clutch over the long haul!

That filter tho, Damn! I thought the PL14610 was long. Does the new filter fit with the chin fairing at all? The other thing that concerns me is the bypass valve pressure is higher on the larger filter. 25-35 PSI compared to 14-18PSI on the L14610 which matches the stock filter rating.
Now I could be wrong on the oil as I wasn't able to find anything on it with a quick search. I did see some references on the bobtheoilguy site that some other people have used it successfully so you are probably fine. I'd still be really worried about running that STP in a motorcycle engine tho. Hopefully it won't have any effect on the clutch plates otherwise you will start to feel them slip and end up having the replace them.

961 - 980 of 1010 Posts