SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here own one?

I am thinking about buying one so I can toy around when I go camping and do other fun things. A friend of mine just bought one and he let me ride it yesterday. His is some special model with a 5hp 47cc motor. Give it time to spool up and it will reach 40 mph. My friend actually rides his to work.

I know they are a subject of great debate with the law. In Washington State they are clasified as bicycles so you can go everywhere a bicycle can go. However this does not seem to stop many cops from harassing people who ride them. I know in the city I work in "City of Kirkland" they actually tried to ban them but the state overturned the ruling. So instead of banning them the police harass people. Never heard of anyone getting a ticket though.

·
Dynamic Chaos Technician
9,145 Posts
Chris Shelly said:
Anyone here own one?

I am thinking about buying one so I can toy around when I go camping and do other fun things. A friend of mine just bought one and he let me ride it yesterday. His is some special model with a 5hp 47cc motor. Give it time to spool up and it will reach 40 mph. My friend actually rides his to work.

I know they are a subject of great debate with the law. In Washington State they are clasified as bicycles so you can go everywhere a bicycle can go. However this does not seem to stop many cops from harassing people who ride them. I know in the city I work in "City of Kirkland" they actually tried to ban them but the state overturned the ruling. So instead of banning them the police harass people. Never heard of anyone getting a ticket though.
Are those the things I see in the Shucks ads in the sunday Seattle Times. If so, they are so cheap you probably can't lose. A couple Jr. High kids in my neiborhood have the stand up scooter version.

·
Waiting to go for a boat ride
13,218 Posts
I went with the Jincheng Panda which is an exact replica to a Honda Trail 50.
It is street legal and the best thing is, NO FLAG!! I have modified it slightly and made it an 87cc engine, up from 49cc. It will go approximatly 55 mph

Best of all it has a lot of torque so you can go through dirt and fields without slowing down.

I would recommend this over anything else. I bought mine for $1,200.00 new in '99.

Sounds sweeeet with the Two Brothers racing pipe on it!!

·
Mile eater
2,793 Posts
Those goped things are not street or sidewalk legal where I live. They're only for private property or parking lots. The kids around here put expansion chambers on them and tear up the neighborhood. They blast right through stop signs without looking and every so often, one gets squished.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are those the things I see in the Shucks ads in the sunday Seattle Times. If so, they are so cheap you probably can't lose. A couple Jr. High kids in my neiborhood have the stand up scooter version.
Yes Chainsaw,

Except those ones are extremely cheap and cheaply made. If you budget about $500 you can get a really nice one. If you budget $1,000 you can get one that can go 40 mph. I would have a hard time paying $1,000 (1/7th of the cost of an SV1000) for something like this. $500 is pretty easy. Also ebay is loaded with them and they can be found for cheap at times.

These things can be pretty safe and fun but the problem is with the kids that ride them. We have them in my neighborhood as well and they dart out into traffic and almost run people over on the sidewalks. Because of this the law will most likly change.

·
Dynamic Chaos Technician
9,145 Posts
Yeah, I imagine that given time and accidents/lawsuits they will be restricted, forced to meet DOT requirements, require drivers licences, or outright be banned. The neighbor kids ride like, well, kids too. I'm torn by being really annoyed, and remembering being 14 and how much fun anything with a motor was back then. So far I smile and wave, but I do wish they were having fun somewhere else.

·
I STILL love twins!
13,004 Posts
Chris Shelly said:
Yes Chainsaw,

Except those ones are extremely cheap and cheaply made. If you budget about $500 you can get a really nice one. If you budget $1,000 you can get one that can go 40 mph. I would have a hard time paying $1,000 (1/7th of the cost of an SV1000) for something like this. $500 is pretty easy. Also ebay is loaded with them and they can be found for cheap at times.

These things can be pretty safe and fun but the problem is with the kids that ride them. We have them in my neighborhood as well and they dart out into traffic and almost run people over on the sidewalks. Because of this the law will most likly change.
And this just happened a minute ago:KOMO NEWS ALERT: A child riding a motorized scooter was hit by a car in Issaquah. No word yet on the child's condition.

·
Dynamic Chaos Technician
9,145 Posts
Here is a cut n paste from the KOMO website at 9:25 PM May 19, 2004

ISSAQUAH - A 15-year-old boy was hit by a car while he was riding a motorized scooter.

The accident happened Wednesday afternoon on Front Street.

The teen broke his leg in the accident, and received several cuts and scrapes.

Front Street was closed for a while as police investigated the accident

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I saw that. Pretty strange I bring it up and we start talking about the problems with them and then have this happen. Sounds like the poor kid will be okay but has a broken leg and some bumps and scrapes. It will be interesting to find out what exactly happened but I have a pretty good idea already.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a link to the news story.

http://www.komotv.com/stories/31329.htm

They say more about how certain cities want to ban them.

I think I will hold off and put more money into the SV. I was not being all that serious about buying one anyway. They are way overpriced for what they are and you have to really read the specs. They are not created equal and more money does not necessarily get you a faster model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone here own one?

I do 2 sports me and the wife.. out of everett

·
Registered
3 Posts
TO ALL PERSNICKITY GRUMPS YES I SEE MOST OF THE POINTS. THESE LOUD 2BANGER ATTRACT YOUNG ANARCHY YOUTH..AND THIS DOESNT MIX WELL..
BUT BEFORE YOU MAAKE ONES SELLLF MORE PISSY AND OLDER.. THINK of whaat those trouble kids woulld do without these loud sober hobbys .. could be stealing ur stuff to do drug all to be that older grump yelling from his lawn that everyones FUCKS WITH MORE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Those goped things are not street or sidewalk legal where I live. They're only for private property or parking lots. The kids around here put expansion chambers on them and tear up the neighborhood. They blast right through stop signs without looking and every so often, one gets squished.
and harleys n street bikes cant be loud if riding same way

1 - 16 of 16 Posts