SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all. first time here. So I recently got a sv1000s 03 model as a present from my wife after they stole my z. the bike came with some problems that we are sorting out but one problem that I cant find the fault is a ticking noise on the bike, it sounds like it comes from the front of the engine.

The sound is not there when I idle the bike, it comes from 2k rpm upwards. we drained the oil to check for shavings for bearings and its not that. we checked if the exhaust or gasket is leaking, not that either. I checked water and bolts as I thought its something loose.

Some people say it might be valves that need to be set. a video I saw on youtube says its a cam tensioning and now another guy said its small end bushings.

I don't have a lot of money to through at mechanics to open the engine up and check everything so I'm hoping to get some advise to what it might be before I spend to much money and never finding the fault

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,018 Posts
Welcome on your first post....

Is it a "light" or tinny sound? Most likely valve train related if so.... Drop your oil cooler down, not off....and remove the front tensioner unit, wash it out with parts clean
and then set it ready for re-install....new gasket or liquid gasket....then put it in and release the lock ..... see the attached service manual and page 3-101 onwards for the set-up.

Basically, you undo the end cap bolt, release the cam lock and push the plunger all the way in, then, the cap bolt screws back in and holds the plunger in....install the tensioner and then undo the cap bolt, and you will hear the plunger pop out....
Do this in case the plunger is stuck and hasn't auto adjusted, this "may" help DONT TURN THE ENGINE AT ALL WHILE THE TENSIONER IS OUT.

SV1000 Service Manual

Also, from vague memory, i think that the auto decomp units on the cams can get noisy too......

You will get some more sage advice from schmidt314 and realshelby as they see this post...

Reactions: realshelby

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,018 Posts
....oh...and an old trick an old timer showed me years ago.....if the noise isn' t cured...take the bike out of the garage so that sounds dont reverberate and use a large old towell doubled over and smother areas of the engine, this MAY help you ID where there noise is coming from.
But, be aware any deep seated noises, like crank stuff will find their way out somewhere....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
....oh...and an old trick an old timer showed me years ago.....if the noise isn' t cured...take the bike out of the garage so that sounds dont reverberate and use a large old towell doubled over and smother areas of the engine, this MAY help you ID where there noise is coming from.
But, be aware any deep seated noises, like crank stuff will find their way out somewhere....
thank you very much for the help. i will keep you posted on the issue as soon as we find the problem, might help someone in the future

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
If you think it is isolated to front cylinder, the most common thing will be the cam chain tensioner in my experience and some good advice was given in removing, cleaning and resetting.

Other things I have seen cause tapping in these bikes is cracked buckets, damaged/broken shims, broken cam chain guide (snapped mount tab off), decompressor issue, scissor gear failure, and probably a few more…

If a wrist pin bushing or big end bearing goes bad, it definitely has a distinct sound. Let’s hope it isn’t this.

-ms

1 - 5 of 5 Posts