SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Back for a bit.
13,573 Posts
Ok. I know this may a bit early in the year to talk about track days but I thought I would start a thread (Admin,can this be 'stuck?') to advertise track days you read about, see, hear about or can recommend.

The first is a UK company that hires bikes (if you're too scared to
ride yours) and does some very good deals on Eurpean trips and track
days.

If you want to do any of them on the list then sort it out and let
other member know which one you are going.

PS. I may do the one at Brands Hatch on the 22nd Jan if anyone wants
to join me. (£85).

·
Back for a bit.
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
MCN Circuit Guide.

For those of you in the UK that are thinking of getting on track either for the first time or again, I have a copy of MCN Circuit Guide.

The guide is an amazing break down of 20 of the major tracks in the UK, the Isle of Man and a few minor circiuts.

If you don't want to spend the £40+ then I'm more than happy to fax or scan all the details of the track that you may be attending.

:niceone:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I am gonna do the 2 day track day with european superbike school in march. 399 for 2 days is more worthwile than 319 for just one. Tim, can we go after Feb as I am in Taiwan until 31st Jan...

Also, doing 2 day school, is it ok if I use my bike?

·
Back for a bit.
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dimitris said:
I am gonna do the 2 day track day with european superbike school in march. 399 for 2 days is more worthwile than 319 for just one. Tim, can we go after Feb as I am in Taiwan until 31st Jan...

Also, doing 2 day school, is it ok if I use my bike?
God man.

I hope to do a few if this weather stays they way it is so yeah, no problem mate.

·
Back for a bit.
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I meant GOOD man...for having a go at one of the schools.

You can hire their bikes (£195) but to be honest, YOURS is the one you want to ride better so I would use the SV.

Can you make the Brands Hatch track day on the 22nd? Anyone else want to come...Adam (either of you) Chris, Robbo?

EDIT.....sorry, just read your post again, your away until the 31st. Anyone else want to come and hold Timmys hand?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Timothy said:
Can you make the Brands Hatch track day on the 22nd? Anyone else want to come...Adam (either of you) Chris, Robbo?
Too early in the year for me (I'm old and my blood is thin...), also with no certanty of a job, I need to conserve my funds, but definatley later on should I be employed :yes:

Might start to think about Llandow again if any-one's up for it....

Andy

·
shotgun blast
3,062 Posts
I think it's a great idea to open this thread. Will see if I find something in France :)

·
Back for a bit.
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Things to do at home.

Ok, in an attempt to keep the thread going (and on track..)

1. Pick the right group for YOU (not you and your friends)

Fast : Generally means racer, ex-racers and race-wannbes. Any slower than them and you'll find yourself scared or into the gravel.
Medium : Tends to be busy as it contains 'average' riders. If you can, go for one eother of the other groups.
Slow : Doesn't really mean slow as such, just sensible. Don't worry about being too quick because the organisers will simply move you up.

2. Check the chain tension. Run it a few millimeters looser than nornal for better power transfer.

3. Change your engine oil and filter, you'll be thrashing your bike more than normal.

4. Check the suspension, if you are not sure about it and have fiddled in the past it's best to go back to stock settings at first and change it during the day to suit your riding.

5. Check the tyres and the brake pads. There needs to be a good thousand miles of 'normal riding' in them or you won't last until lunchtime. If the centre is a little won then don't worry, it won't wear at all compaired to the edges. If it's squared off then it should be ok but the bike won't handle as well as it should. (You may even 'save' a sqaured off tyre by running on the track for a day)

6. Replace the brake fluid. Tiny air bubbles unnoticed in road use can cripple the system when it gets hot.

7. Check YOUR kit. Do you have to zip your leathers together? Make sure there are no holes on your leathers, gloves and boots.

8. Does the track have a noise limit?

9. Check your helmet is correct (for the UK BSi type-A and ACU Gold approved (Blue and Gold stickers).

10. Pack a good tool kit, more than usual. Include tools to play with your suspension and if you can bring a long scredriver, plyers and a mallet (just incase you have to move any body work after a spill).

11. Gaffer tape and electrical tape.

12. If the track doesn't have a cafe then make sure you take LOTS of water (you will sweat and de-hydrate). Take salt and potassium tablets if you can. Bananas are a good sourse of potassium which helps re-hydrate your system. TOP TIP....if you start getting headaches and/or your urine is dark them you are dehydrated GET SOME WATER IN YOU!

13. Remember your driving licence (UK track days may refuse you without one!).

14. Make sure you know the route to the track, if the travel time is more than 2 hours consider staying closer the night before, don't forget you have to ride back after the track day too.

You can pick and choose which if any of the above you really do....these are just some guides (with a little help from Andy Ibbot California Superbike School). And NO, I didn't cut and paste, my bloody 2 middle fingers are bleeding now. :ranting:

·
Mmmm Kate
7,873 Posts
Some of the SoCal contingent are planning on going to Buttonwillow on March 28th for a trackday. We are going to be doing the dp safety school. Can't wait... http://www.dpsafetyschool.com/main.html

·
Back for a bit.
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you arrive at the track.

1. Arrive in plenty of time. Try to get there an hour before the first briefing if you can. You'll need time to take in some water and chill out after your ride to the track.

2. Book in! Ask the booking in people where scrutineering is and how it works.

3. Get your machine ready for the scrutineers. This normally means taping up the lights and anything else that shatters. It may be worth checking the chain too.

If you have the time and the skill then you can:

Remove everything that can smash, light, indicators etc.

Remove your mirrors! You don't need them and they are just something else to break if you have a spill.

Tape up your speedo, you won't need it and it'll be more of a distraction than anything.

4. Cover/remove your number plate. It has been known for insurance companies to attend track days and take photos of bikes to prevent fraud when riders fall off on the road 'following a track day'.

5. Find out where the nearest petrol station is, is it at the track or do you have to leave the track (if you do don't forget you've taped everything up). Fill your bike to the brim BEFORE if you can.

6. Turn your lights OFF (a little hard on our bike but if you know where the fuse is....)

7. Drop the tyre pressures, a good start is front 32psi and rear 30psi.

8. Double check what time your group leaves and who will be leading it.

9. DON'T MISS YOUR BRIEFING!

More to come......

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have heard nothing but great ideas thus far, great going. I always take a cooler packed full of Gatorade and water to keep the electrolytes up!! You don't realize how much you will sweat working your bike around the track. I also like to take some fruit and protien snacks for a quick bite between sessions. I personally make it a family affair by taking my wife and kids, they all love watching the bikes and also like to take pictures. It's good clean fun for everyone. Always remember, track time is the greatest LEGAL fun you can have!!! No Cops, cars, animals or traffic to get in your way. You get to challange yourself and work on cornering skills, which make you a better street rider as well. Anway, great topic.... keep it going!!! :niceone:

·
Back for a bit.
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks very much, I will keep going as soon as I get some feeling back in my fingers.

I'm DEAD serious about the de-hydration. There is NOTHING worse, the headache alone can ruin an amazing day.

The urine thing is true as well, it's a little easier for us chaps to notice but it's a good sign.

Don't wait until you get thirsty!

·
Back for a bit.
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You first session of the day.

Ok, so, now you are on the track. Time for some more pointers.

Again, NONE of this is is gospel and you don't have to take a single bit of advise but, if you take a little advise from some of this thread then you'll have a great day on track. If I'm teaching some to suck eggs then I'm sorry, for the new guys...read on! :niceone:

1. DON'T GO FAST! .Don't even think about going fast. Your tyres, brakes and engine are all cold and so are you. Simply sit back and get a feel of the track. If you can do it then go round without braking (hard) or accelerating hard at all. If you can get round just using one or maybe 2 gears and NO brakes then even better.

2. Stay near the back and try not to overtake anyone. If someone overtakes you, ignore it. Ride ay YOUR pace and start to learn the track. Even if you have been on the track a thousand times, things may have changes so just take it easy.

3. Make sure you bike is acting normally before you go on the second sessioin.

This may all sound boring but you will get LOADS of time to 'play' later.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Nice one :banana: Tim, all good advice and many things there that are taken for granted when you've done a few, Can't re-emphasie enough the advice about yourself, it's no good having a bike in tip-top condition if you aren't, the de-hydration thing is the most important, drink water as soon as you finish a seesion, whether you think you need it or not BECAUSE YOU DO!!!

1 - 20 of 128 Posts