SV Portal Forums banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Between Stable-Unstable
2,698 Posts
Yup 30/30 unless you really know what you are doing. That is a great starting point. Anything much more and the tire doesn't heat up fast enough or it can get too hard (ie pressure will increase with heat and if it is already in the high 30s... it may be too much pressure.. so the carcass won't flex the way it should).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Request for advice in setting up my Track Bike

Hi Guys :cool2: I just bought Bonney's 98 gixxer and need to make some adjustments to the bike so that it works for me, a some what smaller size of person, ok a lot shorter, but I am a lot shorter than most people I know:confused: . the bike was way high 2 inches over stock (4 inches higher than my street bike) is there somewhere on here that you guys have hashed this to death or can someone give me the basics that I should be aware of? the rear suspension is way soft, how much should it compress when I sit on it ? I get that tire pressure should be 30/30, AND what should the ratio be for the front to rear height? (Booney raised the front end as well)and if there is anything that I havent thought of to ask.........I am still a beginner at the track, two track days under my belt and ummmm just one cool crash:pinch: :blush:
Cheers :beer: Kimmy

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Tire pressure depends on the tire your running with the Mitchlins I ran 30 front 32 rear and that seemed to work well ,with the corsas I run 34 front and 36 rear and that seems to work best. Don't be afraid to see what works for you.

·
Back for a bit.
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
30/30 is a good base setting, what's good enough for Keith Code and Andy Ibbot of California Superbikes School is goog enough for me (and thousands of others).

·
Registered
28 Posts
SV1000/650 track days 2007

Sorry if there is a duplication here - you have so many threads where this could be - anyone want to do a track day with me in the UK over the next few months (feb-mar-apr)? Preferred circuits are:
Mallory, Brands (GP if we can find one this early), Snetterton, Cadwell, Lydden & Pembrey...dont mind either on the thou or on the 650 but need to get some track time in (w00t)
Also prefer weekends rather than in the week, but id make a concession for the brands GP :bigclap:

·
I love my SV
5,793 Posts
Sorry if there is a duplication here - you have so many threads where this could be - anyone want to do a track day with me in the UK over the next few months (feb-mar-apr)? Preferred circuits are:
Mallory, Brands (GP if we can find one this early), Snetterton, Cadwell, Lydden & Pembrey...dont mind either on the thou or on the 650 but need to get some track time in (w00t)
Also prefer weekends rather than in the week, but id make a concession for the brands GP :bigclap:
I'm just thinking the same but would prefer Brands Indy after april sometime..

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
caffeine/the other blood
2,040 Posts
I have a question that I would like some input to... When over in a corner going say.....100kph (60mph) on the track of course, and the bike is leaned out as far as I want to risk, what input is used to tighten up the turn. For example, I recently was at a trackday in Ohio and there is a turn called the carousel (sp). It is a 180 degree right hander. I was scraping my toes (even though I have jack up plates on my rearsets. 1" up and 1" back), so I had a pretty good lean going on. Knee lifted a bit to just graze the surface. Once in a while, I would run the exit wide (easily rode out of though). When I did correct, I did it instinctively so when I thought about it, during a wide run, I couldn't correct. That turn, I have no idea of the speed. Maybe 80kph (50mph)??? It was fairly tight. If I were to guess, it may be probably close to 48-50 degree lean angle.:banana:
So is it a throttle correction or what. Like I said, if I don't think about it, I correct. If I think about it and what to do physically, I come up blank and have to run it wide. It happens so fast. On the road, I never approached those angles and it was a simple push on the inside clip-on.

·
Between Stable-Unstable
2,698 Posts
Cola, I'm thinking you can try to do a couple of things:
1 - Roll off the gas a bit. I think I was on the gas a bit too much at times around there as well.
2 - Hang off a bit more to keep the bike more upright.
3. Make your turn-in input a bit quicker.... as in more forceful, as opposed to being at a different spot on the track.

I'm also trying to read up about suspension ... to see if there is something we can do to help us prevent from running wide in that situation. I was having a similar problem to Cola.... pegs dragging and sometimes going wide

·
Big bikers bounce better
5,703 Posts
There is always more than one way to skin a cat or take a corner at speed

As previously said to tighten a turn mid corner counter steer is the way but if you are on the limit you dont want to go doing that or you will be sliding down the track on your ass

so you need to change the way you approach the turn like turn in latter turn harder for a shorter time hit a late apex

Lean off the bike more to try and keep the bike more upright

Fit a rear shock with ride height adjuster and raise the rear

You could always try doing a Doohan and keep the bike more upright and spin up the rear (Rear wheel steering) and tighten up the turn :surprise: But onlky if you are a race god :msn-wink:

Good luck the only real answer is to experiment with your lines and entry speed :niceone:

·
Between Stable-Unstable
2,698 Posts
The tough thing with the corner Cola is talking about is that it is a very LONG corner... off camber.... downhill. If you take a long swooping line into it, you'll lose too much track distance and is a waste of time.

As you guys know if you are dragging hard parts, more steering input is bad.

However, I found that when I was not letting off the gas at all I ran wider... than if I just rolled off a TINY bit. You're not chopping throttle... just rolling off a little to tighten the line. Making a more agressive initial steering input, might also help.

·
caffeine/the other blood
2,040 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. Keeping the bike more upright (if possible) and entering later may be the key here. I am also going to raise my forks in the tripple clamp. I originally did, but returned to stock setting. That will probably help. I felt it was turning in OK before. But now that I'm not on the road and not concerned with relaxing while cruising, the little bit of extra instability in a straight line really won't matter.

FYI...There is an AMA race being televised from Mid-Ohio today on Speed TV. The turn I mentioned is the right hander just before the left hander onto the front straight in front of the grandstand. Take a peep. Probably won't get the full idea of the cambre of the track onthe tv though....I DIDN"T!!!!!!!!:crazy:

Turned out to be Superbikes from Paris...:unsure:

·
caffeine/the other blood
2,040 Posts
Afterthought

Now that I think about it, I now remember that I changed my front preload from 3 rimgs to 4 rings to experiment (note that I have racetechs in there with a gixer rear). It was after that, that I noticed myself running wide for no reason. Earlier sessions, it was just my bad entry once in a while. After the change, it was a regular occurance to run that corner wide most of the time. For my own information, why did that affect the turning like that? I had figured that the forks would be little more compressed in that turn since it was a steady throttle not an accelerating turn like the rest, and the bike would turn in even better. Guess not. My settings originally were phenominal for me on other tracks as well as Mid-Ohio up till then and I figured it was time I did a little experimenting. I'm changing it back and dropping the forks a bit instead. Mine are at the stock height. Any input?

G

·
Track Days Information and Advice

Sportbike Track Time Deal Gingerman this weekend, Oct 3rd and 4th

Come out and ride for the one of the last mid-west track days of the year

Chad

·
Dynamic Chaos Technician
9,290 Posts
What Fresh Spam is this?

Sportbike Track Time Deal Gingerman this weekend, Oct 3rd and 4th

Come out and ride for the one of the last mid-west track days of the year

Chad
My time machine is too small to take my SV back to October 3rd and 4th!

Howcome you have an Estonian IP address but your flag shows Afghanistan?

Why are spammers so lazy that they don't bother coming up with a real personal profile with stuff in it? Always Afghanistan, I suppose it is alphabetically the first flag on the list.

C'mon man! Put som EFFORT into your spam!

·
Moving at the speed of...
4,758 Posts
Exclusive Suzuki Track Days 2010

I have just read on the MCN site that Suzuki will be holding some special track days at Brands, Snetterton and Cadwell after the BSB rounds next year to celebrate the 25th aniversary of the GSXR.

They will only be open to Suzuki owners and the BSB Suzuki riders will be on hand for instruction etc.

Lets hope they will not be charging a fortune!!

MCN story here

81 - 100 of 128 Posts