SV Portal Forums banner
121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If you want to spend a little coin and do it in style stay at the Villas. The group I ride with usually gets together and splits the cost on the condos. Nice...worth the price per night (especially if the wife or significant other is with you)!! Otherwise we rough it (tents, bags, trailers...you name it)! There are other hotels in the area, but I have not stayed at any of them.
Do they let you camp on the grounds anywhere?
________
Lickable_Virgin live

·
Registered
288 Posts
1st Trackday at Willow Springs (Big Willow) May 30th

What is your best tip for a great time? Would my Pilot Road 2ct on the rear and a Pilot Power 2ct on the front be cool to run? I'm sure my speeds in the C group won't push my tires, but doesn't hurt to ask. Also I was gonna switch my shift arm to the TLR arm and then do the throttle tube mod before the trackday. I haven't ridden my bike in 6mo b/c of license issue, so would it be to much of a drastic change before a trackday? Here's my list of stuff to bring:

1. keys, gear, fuel container
2. tools, tape, tire pressure gauge, rear stand
3. sunglasses, hat, under armor, spare clothes to chill in
4. canopy, chair, cooler w/ice, water/gatorade
5. Ibuprofen

Anything else and thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I believe Malkey has ridden that track. You can probably PM him for advice on that particular course. I rode with PR2's on my first track day, but it was a 1.1 mile course without any super-long straights (lots of corners, though!). They held up fine. Not sure how'd they hold up on Willow Springs.

Hopefully your track day offers some instruction as opposed to just throwing you out there. I found the instruction was the most valuable part of the day for me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I believe Malkey has ridden that track. You can probably PM him for advice on that particular course. I rode with PR2's on my first track day, but it was a 1.1 mile course without any super-long straights (lots of corners, though!). They held up fine. Not sure how'd they hold up on Willow Springs.

Hopefully your track day offers some instruction as opposed to just throwing you out there. I found the instruction was the most valuable part of the day for me.
Malkey did give me some advice and as far as I know no instruction for this trackday. But plenty of A group folk to watch and ask.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Malkey did give me some advice and as far as I know no instruction for this trackday. But plenty of A group folk to watch and ask.
Most of the expert riders are willing to answer questions and help you out.(at least where I ride) As far as the tires,you'll have as much fun as your tires will allow.Just remember they are the only thing keeping you off the ground. I bought a extra set of wheels and mounted tires just for trackdays just to make sure my tires surpast my ability. Todays street tires are pretty good,but even if I don't get hurt, a low side would make a mess of my bike. I have a set of Bridgestone 003s in the endurance(hard) compound. Unfortunatly, I have my SV sold to pay for taxes. So I'll have to take them off and mount them on my extra Bandit rims. Have fun.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Most of the expert riders are willing to answer questions and help you out.(at least where I ride) As far as the tires,you'll have as much fun as your tires will allow.Just remember they are the only thing keeping you off the ground. I bought a extra set of wheels and mounted tires just for trackdays just to make sure my tires surpast my ability. Todays street tires are pretty good,but even if I don't get hurt, a low side would make a mess of my bike. I have a set of Bridgestone 003s in the endurance(hard) compound. Unfortunatly, I have my SV sold to pay for taxes. So I'll have to take them off and mount them on my extra Bandit rims. Have fun.
Thanks and I'm trying to pick up a new set of Pirelli Diablo's for $20, but they are 4/5yrs old. Get them, try them or stay away from them?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Thanks and I'm trying to pick up a new set of Pirelli Diablo's for $20, but they are 4/5yrs old. Get them, try them or stay away from them?
I'd pass on them myself. Maybe they would be alright,but I wouldn't gamble on them. The club I ride with has a couple vendors @ the track. They're pricing is as good as any or better. And for the racers,they'll run tires they can get contingincy(sp?) back. (my 003s were $350. mounted and balanced) I just figure its part of the cost of trackdays. And less of a cost vs fixing the bike and possibly medical bills.
You could pick up a set of street/trackday tires (brand of your choice) break them in at the track,and finish them of on the street,or save them for another trackday.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts