Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Waiting to go for a boat ride
13,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:new:
Hello,
I've noticed a lot of threads being started without tags so I am starting this thread to make sure everyone is aware of them and what they do for us.

Tags are a really good search tool. If you go to advanced search you can see all tags that have been associated with threads and do a search for tags as well. The tags are like short cuts for the search engine to look for. It REALLY helps shorten the list up and get you to where you need to be quickly.

So here's what I'm talking about. (see pics) Just add key words that pertain to the the thread you've started. If it's about exhaust use exhaust as a tag but if it's about Two Brothers exhaust use brothers and exhaust and twobrothers for those who think it's one word and separate them by a comma. Common words will not work. Common would be numbers like one, two and words like if. If it's racing use racing if it's Road racing use road, racing. So basically any key words that go with the subject.

Thanks,
Chris
:supsmiley:
:new:

Attachments

·
Dynamic Chaos Technician
9,142 Posts
Descriptive Thread Titles help too!

Great idea to post a thread and stick it up front to get this info out.

I would like to suggest another thing that would help the search process for people.

PLEASE USE AN INTELLIGENT THREAD TITLE THAT ACTUALLY DESCRIBES THE SUBJECT OF THE THREAD.

There are a lot of threads out there with titles like

question
help
help me
help me with my question
finally
am I fu[ked?

These threads may have just the info someone is searching for a year from now, but it will never be found because of the meaningless thread title.

·
13,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great idea to post a thread and stick it up front to get this info out.

I would like to suggest another thing that would help the search process for people.

PLEASE USE AN INTELLIGENT THREAD TITLE THAT ACTUALLY DESCRIBES THE SUBJECT OF THE THREAD.

There are a lot of threads out there with titles like

question
help
help me
help me with my question
finally
am I fu[ked?

These threads may have just the info someone is searching for a year from now, but it will never be found because of the meaningless thread title.
I agree 100%

The info is only as good as the title!

Don't be surprised if admin changes your title from uhm... (when you have a coolant leak) to something more intelligent so it's easier for others to find later.

Using text message style words for titles is out too! Please use the whole word.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mate it's a Holden Monaro. They are the bomb. GM rebadged it for the US market. Bob Lutz (think that's who it was) made a visit to Aus some time back and took a couple of Hot Holdens out for a spin. He was amazed - Reckons the V8 Holdesn are a great platform that will be the basis for GM's for some time to come. Not long after that the Holden Monaro was shipped to the US to be sold as a Pontiac.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ah yes. Sorry. Saw the Holden, sorry Pontiac, and thought that was the topic of discussion. OOPPSS. It's not actually the Monaro though - it has four doors. The Monaro was rebadged the Pontiac GTO I believe. Digler. Yes as in Dirk Digler and no not for the reasons you think! Real names Mark and most people end up calling me Markie Mark (personality trait maybe) and from there....Digler kinda stuck. Jeez even my father-in-law calls me Digs. LOL.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Bravo !! Now factor in the times your post is linked to and you have SV Portal Google style.

Skie :headbang:

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
...that comment got me thinking. I've linked Google's search facility into my own website....could that be done for the forum? Might be worth a go to see if it performs better? (and will help forum listings on Google;-)

Back to TAGS........thought of a downside:
Tags will only be applied to new topics/threads which will 'disadvantage' topics/threads that have been on the forum for months/years without tags.....some of the best tech/informational/'how to' threads were posted ages back. I suspect those older threads will slip down the search results as a consequence despite the fact they may be more informative/detailed etc.

Maybe we should have a Google search facility as well as the Forum software feature.......

·
13,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...that comment got me thinking. I've linked Google's search facility into my own website....could that be done for the forum? Might be worth a go to see if it performs better? (and will help forum listings on Google;-)

Back to TAGS........thought of a downside:
Tags will only be applied to new topics/threads which will 'disadvantage' topics/threads that have been on the forum for months/years without tags.....some of the best tech/informational/'how to' threads were posted ages back. I suspect those older threads will slip down the search results as a consequence despite the fact they may be more informative/detailed etc.

Maybe we should have a Google search facility as well as the Forum software feature.......
Can you edit tags Andy? I know I can... Which means I can add them... :D

·
13,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess this is sith only? I cannot see it under the edit screen.

Just look to the right below the last post in the thread Bob... Can you see it?

28,000??? I'll have them done before dinner...:ph34r:

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Can you edit tags Andy? I know I can... Which means I can add them... :D
No 'fraid not :whistle: ......just you by the looks of it, good luck :shock:

Afternote:
Seems there's a limitation of 3 'tags' - is that enough (I presume this can be changed in the Admin Control Panel?)

·
"Kiss my Ass"
13,704 Posts
I have just tried to add a tag and it works, i think i may go back to some of my threads and start to add tags to them and also to those i have found very usefull for info etc.

·
55,500 miles and counting
19,824 Posts
But William, sometimes a sneaky title that has absolutly nothing to do with the subject can help get good coverage, like
" Nude photos of my wife in stockings " it's called promotional advertising and obviously has no bearing on the truth whatso ever.

Sometimes adding a famous name to the thread title helps like " Peterrose is trying to kill me" or "Operation rescue Rose" but make sure you have the persons permission first, usually a small donation to the person concerned will help.

Pete

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.