SV Portal Forums banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Man...you sound just like all those guys with kids....'they have to eat!' Bull!!! Ramen Noodles for everyone until the motor is built!:)
Need the truck working right to be able to go to the track! 3 weeks out to the start of track season here after our summer break :supsmiley:

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have one of those radiators and its working out great so far the 6 months its been on the bike. as for the 40% increase to cooling have to wait until the summer to find out

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hrm, here's another one, appears to be a different company but the same radiator:

High Performance Suzuki SV1000 SV1000S 2003 2008 04 05 06 07 Aluminum Radiator | eBay

And another:

High Performance Suzuki SV1000 SV1000S 2003 2008 04 05 06 07 Aluminum Radiator | eBay

All 3 come out of CA so my guess is they are all the same guy/shop.

And again except this one is only $75 but $15 in shipping:

Aluminum Radiator for Suzuki SV1000 SV1000S SV 1000 s 03 08 04 05 2006 2007 2008 | eBay

And then this one:

Aluminum Radiator for Suzuki SV1000 SV1000S SV 1000 2003 2008 07 06 05 04 03 | eBay

So it appears there is a distributor in CA, getting these radiators out of China. I don't have a problem with that, as long as the radiator works. For the price, I will still probably get one in the next few weeks. When I do, I'll compare measurements and capacities when I have the new one in hand.
Heads up - I just bought one of these rads - same deal obv China but a local UK distributor. Now fitted, be prep'd tp bend lugs to fit. Sure it works ok, but I'll leave judgement as to how long it lasts. First observation, - at least 35 % ligher than std rad, (didnt weight it but wish i'd had). Frankly it looks a little flimsy vs OEM/delkevic.
But jury's out - maybe it will last long enough. At 15% cost vs oem and 30 ish % vs delkevic, maybe it will be worth the cost???

·
easy rider
286 Posts
Few questions, thinking of spares.
Are OEM/Delvic all-aluminum radiator & fittings, too?
Other than weight, why do e-bay radiators seem flimsy?
Worthwhile to test-load with higher than cap-rated pressure before install? Or, just nurturing failure?

Good info, thank you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi SV riders.
Within the next week i am going to have my valve clearance checked by an ex mechanic friend of mine.My service manual is from 2003 , is the valve clearance the same for the 2007 model or was there a change to the clearances for the newer bikes? if so where can i search this amazing forum for this information?
regards
Shamless

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Hi SV riders.
Within the next week i am going to have my valve clearance checked by an ex mechanic friend of mine.My service manual is from 2003 , is the valve clearance the same for the 2007 model or was there a change to the clearances for the newer bikes? if so where can i search this amazing forum for this information?
regards
Shamless
No....clearances are the same. Be sure your valves are clean before checking/adjusting. A soaking with Seafoam or carb cleaner to make sure all the carbon deposits have dissolved away will give you a true clearance reading. Would recommend you shoot for the middle of the adjustment range or if you're more interested in bottom end/midrange then go towards the wide side. It'll make a bit more noise but will reduce the overlap for better idle and low rpm manners. Mine was set to the tight side from the factory at 1500 miles I set them to the wide end and the idle increased over 300 rpm without touching anything else. It was noticeably stronger down low too...and IIRC the gas mileage picked up a bit. Good luck!

·
Registered
88 Posts
No....clearances are the same. Be sure your valves are clean before checking/adjusting. A soaking with Seafoam or carb cleaner to make sure all the carbon deposits have dissolved away will give you a true clearance reading. Would recommend you shoot for the middle of the adjustment range or if you're more interested in bottom end/midrange then go towards the wide side. It'll make a bit more noise but will reduce the overlap for better idle and low rpm manners. Mine was set to the tight side from the factory at 1500 miles I set them to the wide end and the idle increased over 300 rpm without touching anything else. It was noticeably stronger down low too...and IIRC the gas mileage picked up a bit. Good luck!
Thanks a mill , i will report back once done!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anyone noticed lower fuel consumption after loosing up the valves a bit? During winter I did mine and 3 was below spec while rest was close to if not right on lower limit. I adjusted all valves to sit right in the middle of lower and upper limit.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,321 Posts
Has anyone noticed lower fuel consumption after loosing up the valves a bit? During winter I did mine and 3 was below spec while rest was close to if not right on lower limit. I adjusted all valves to sit right in the middle of lower and upper limit.
In RecoilRob's reply above, he does mention that fuel economy can be improved a little with slightly looser settings...along with better torque down low....

101 - 110 of 110 Posts