SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start commuting on the bike, and am in the market for a backpack for hauling the laptop around.

Can anyone recommend any?

If not a waterproof backpack perhaps a waterproof sleeve with a decent backpack. There are some real cheap backpacks out there, that I know I would be worried about a strap breaking at speed or something, are there any brands I should look at specifically?

Thanks

·
She shoots, what a !!!!!
8,408 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put it in a small dry sack like you use for booting or for camping.

Yeah as a last resort will use a ziplock freezer bag and a backpack i currently have though I am leary of the straps. BUT I can expense a new one so want to get something decent.

·
L-Plate rider
2,235 Posts
I have a red Swiss Army laptop backpack (dunno the model number, sorry), and it works wonders. I got caught in a torrential downpour the other day coming home from work (stop and go traffic) and everything inside the backpack was bone dry. I was incredibly impressed, especially since I had been freaking out the whole way home.....

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,182 Posts
axio hardpacks aren't waterproof, but they are water-resistant, and are meant for carrying laptops.
I love these ones. I have carried my laptop around in non water resistant packs too. Never a problem. I always back it up and if something goes bad my company pays for it anyway. These guys should pay moto commuters for testing their equipment. My lap top has been both shaken and stirred, wet, hot, kicked, and dropped.

-MS

·
Hellraiser
163 Posts
I am about to start commuting on the bike, and am in the market for a backpack for hauling the laptop around.

Can anyone recommend any?

If not a waterproof backpack perhaps a waterproof sleeve with a decent backpack. There are some real cheap backpacks out there, that I know I would be worried about a strap breaking at speed or something, are there any brands I should look at specifically?

Thanks
I have this one, the Ogio No Drag. It works pretty well. Your laptop sits against your back and the shell is pretty much waterproof. I got caught in a down pour and everything inside was dry as a bone. But if your laptop is bigger than a 15", you might as well forget this bag. Don't get me wrong it is nice and has enough room for a laptop and a change of close including shoes but not much more. Overall, I rate it a 7 out of 10 but love how aerodynamic it is. It doesn't feel like you are being pulled off your bike at speeds. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
You'd be mad to have anything 'solid' in a back pack when riding a bike!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T Do IT.........John Tennant (RIP) ;-)

·
I STILL love twins!
12,985 Posts
I have this one, the Ogio No Drag. It works pretty well. Your laptop sits against your back and the shell is pretty much waterproof. I got caught in a down pour and everything inside was dry as a bone. But if your laptop is bigger than a 15", you might as well forget this bag. Don't get me wrong it is nice and has enough room for a laptop and a change of close including shoes but not much more. Overall, I rate it a 7 out of 10 but love how aerodynamic it is. It doesn't feel like you are being pulled off your bike at speeds. Hope this helps.
Looks nice and if you do a lot of walking it might make sense, but at $150 you could get a Tourmaster Cortech Sport Tailpack for $70 or less. With the tailpack you have much more flexibility in uses AND you don't have something hard on your body. Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I looked at tank bags and I have yet to see one which would suit a laptop, due to the curve of the tank. Tailbags all seem rather small...

Holeshots will rule out saddlebags

Dad's Givi E52 is just overkill... (will get the brackets eventually though)

Soo backpack it is..

·
I STILL love twins!
12,985 Posts
Tailbags all seem rather small...
Do you have a super wide laptop? If not it will fit in the Cortech Sport tailpack....mine fits with room to spare. If you can find a local dealer test it out....or just measure your laptop and go to www.tourmaster.com and they have the measurements.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey now they look nice... wonder how available they are over here...

oop nm I see aerostich sell them

Hmm the kriega website lists different dimensions than the Aerostich site for the same bag... US 20

·
Low down dirty whore
2,330 Posts
don't use a ziplock bag. Ever wonder why all your computer internals come in anti-static bags instead of plastic? :p

·
Silent Jay
2,832 Posts
There is a rigid mount that attaches a supportive base to your gas cap screws to support laptops, but I forget the name at the moment. It is similar to a camera tank (gascap) mount and has a cover over it. I remember it was a very good alternative to strapping a potential back breaker on your body :cheers:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts